Suikoden Violence

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Outlaws of the Marsh is very graphic, to the point of ridiculousness. There's much talk of bashing skulls in half, people going on village-wide killing sprees, "Spirit Breaking," which is a 100-lash ritual to, you guessed it, break the spirit of the future inmate, and so on. There's also at least one instance of a man ripping a woman's rib cage open while she's still alive with his bare hands, which no violent book can go without.

It'd be an interesting change of pace, that's for sure.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Darian

Post by Darian »

I'm very tired so here's a fair warning: this post is going to be a little all-over-the-place. ;)

I don't necessarily think that we need more straight-up violence (though I also agree that a lack of it can call more attention to itself than the presence would) or that the series needs more "evil" villains.

Don't get me wrong, though, if they are going to keep doing "good guys vs. bad guys" i'd like the bad guys to be a little more frightening (luca) and a little less caricature-ish V spoiler removed. What I'd really like to see, though, is a story where the lines between the good guys and the bad guys are a little more blurred and more political in nature (what I hated about SIII was that the plot basically revolved around the good guys literally saving the world, with your army fighting monsters, skeletons, etc.[not that I'm suggesting they should drop the concept of fighting for something greater than politics--it just shouldn't steal the show, is all]). SII did this well after Luca went down and Jowy took charge; both leaders had very good reasons for wanting to fight a war and neither one could have been called a villain.

I like the idea someone mentioned of seeing the horrors of war as well as the glory. Once again, we got to see this in SII, but even then it was underdeveloped. They showed the glory when it came to your army and they showed the horror when it came to Highland's army (and a little honor with Seed and Culgan). Your army shouldn't be made up of saints (Suikoden V removed mercenaries -- they do profit off war and death, afterall, however likeable the characters may have been -- Spoiler removed).

aaaagh... sorry if that's a mess to read -- sleeeeeep now....
Crowley's_Apprentice
Banned User

Post by Crowley's_Apprentice »

well maybe konami is trying to blurr the distinction between good and bad guys. Suikoden V reference removed
"Giggity Giggity Giggity!!!"--Glen Quagmire
"Victory is mine!"--Stewie Griffin
"Oh that's just nastee..."--Cleveland
"...evil monkey living in my closet..."--Chris Griffin
Darian

Post by Darian »

Crowley's_Apprentice wrote:well maybe konami is trying to blurr the distinction between good and bad guys. like s5, .
All Suikoden V spoilers removed

SII did it well (once Luca went down, anyway).
Last edited by Darian on Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

Guys, please.

Darian, Crowley; This isn't the place for Suikoden V talk.

I managed to catch V and "near the end" or something. I still haven't looked at your posts much, but that lot just screamed spoilers.

Bare in mind it's not out in the UK yet.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I edited out all the spoilers so you're free to read through their comments (what's left anyway) now Feldoon.

For others, DO NOT MENTION SUIKODEN V OUTSIDE IT'S THREAD the spoiler ban is still on. We've mentioned this countless times. If it happens again I'm going to have to move this thread and then those who are avoiding spoilers won't even be able to read it.
Darian

Post by Darian »

Sorry; since the beginning of the thread there has been no shortage of SV spoilers and not one warning from anybody (mod or otherwise), so I figured it was okay.

Won't happen again.
RVallant

Post by RVallant »

lol I don't even know what the topic is about now...

But anyway I agree there needs to be more violence, evilness and generally more blurred lines on the actual political area.

What I'd kill to see is perhaps a hero being in the leader-role from the very start in a high-pressure political and war scenario and being "disposed" of because he steps in to prevent his own army/country from pillaging/looting/raping/murdering/taking little kiddies to the supermarket.

That would really be unique and different and it certainly would empathise that the best intentions don't always work (refer: Granmeyer) end of the day though, this probably won't happen but it won't hurt to dream about it.
Westley

Post by Westley »

Suikoden 2 had a very good story and was told very well. The treachery, the might of the enemy, it was almost like watching a cartoon with a solid plot, you want to know what's going to happen next. Yes, luca blight's violent and ruthless role in the game is just an example of keeping the story alive & engrossing. I agree that much of this is absent in 4 and 5. They are just...directed differently and personally I feel it makes the story-telling somewhat inferior.
The bluest sky is ever high & crystal clear.
WaterMoon

Post by WaterMoon »

Tsubaki wrote:I also think there should be less children in suikoden games because maybe thats whats holding it back, knowone wants to see a bunch of children in an army well wierd people mite for wierd reasons, but if the characters were more grown up maybe more would die because they cant just kill a bunch of kids.....well they could....

I think that was the down side to suikoden 3 Suikoden V removed
Children can and have fought in many wars, the most famous of which being the Children's Crusade. Yes, it was one of the Crusades (not just a war with the name), and the church decided that children were innocent and pure, thus God would protect them, so sent them off to fight to regain the Holy Land. It didn't go so well. And let's face it, every main character we've had (i.e. Tenkai for 1, 2, 4, and 5, as well as Chris, Hugo, and Geddoe in 3) with the exceptions of Geddoe and Chris has been a kid by US standards. Most have been only about 14 or 15. Chris was 21, and Geddoe as we know is about 112.
"C'mon, Jeane! The ugly stick had its way with you! Admiiiiiiiiiit it!"
---------------------------------------------------------------
"What do you think,Your Highness? Does kidnapping your little sister sound like fun?"
Siel Avadon

Post by Siel Avadon »

As someone said its the Suikoden Lore, We got lore in our world as well.

In Scandinavia one would meet nymphs,giants and trolls...perhaps a a dark elf or two.

In Egypt Sfinxes and so on. In the south Amerixa anything from the Indian lore and north america perhaps erh the Jersey Devil (seen that one on discovery)

Also in former ages, you was considered a man by 14,15 perhaps and was to be able to bring income to your family if I am not wrong. What is known as child soldiers today I dont think was seen as that before.
Jeane, The Marilyn Monroe of Suikoden.
nephlabobo

Re: Suikoden Violence

Post by nephlabobo »

Tsubaki wrote:Does anyone else agree with me suikoden needs more violence. I think the most violent one was suikoden 2 and that is also the best one we need more savageness and more deaths. Im not crazy or anything its just it is a war after all. :?
Why? Why is it important? This isn't Silent Hill or Onimusha.....it's an RPG.
There doesn't need to be heads flying everywhere.
Rezard

Post by Rezard »

Because it is more realistic and the game is about the horrors of war, if we really see it, the game gets extra drama, this is good and fits with Suikoden.

It also makes the game more mature, anybody can die, there is no beatiful world of good guys beat bad guys. It is a war, innocent people die. The consequences of mistakes are terrible. Again it gives a feeling of extra drama.
nephlabobo

Post by nephlabobo »

I don't play Suikoden for realism.

If I want to play a game about the horrors of war, I'll play Medal Of Honour.

Suikoden is an RPG.

Blood does not make things more dramatic.

By that definition, Mortal Kombat is the most dramatic game ever made.
Rezard

Post by Rezard »

Medal of honor isn't about the horrors of war, it's about a guy with a gun on a killing spree.

It doesn't have to involve blood, it has to be violent only.

It gets hard to shock the audience without any violence. Could you do a movie like Schindler's List without Violence?

It is not the violence alone that create drama, it is the suffering it causes. Also, it is not free violence we want, it is violence in a given context, which could inspire feelings on the player, such as anger, hatred against a villain, revolt, etc.