Suikoden Violence

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
wolfi

Post by wolfi »

i agree, even though ive only played suikoden 2(im atm playing 4).
Suiko two is the best of all the six games.
I dont think there should be lots of blood, gore and arms and heads flying during a battle, But I defintivly think that there should be a more violent and ruthless villian.. Luca blight is and i think will allways be my favourite villian

the others just dont come close
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

There's only been 5 Genso Suikoden's, there have been 2 Genso Suikogaidens, 1 Suikoden Card Stories and 1 Suikoden Tactics.

But I agree, Luca Blight has to be the most blood thirsty and sickening villain I have ever encountered. I felt so happy the first time I beat him, it took about 8 goes the first time I played Suikoden 2, but when I finally beat him I was estatic! Anybody who would slaughter a bunch of teenagers as propaganda for a war is sick, especially since he enjoyed it so much, when he speaks to Rowd its disgusting.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
wolfi

Post by wolfi »

oh sorry i only counted the six "popular??" games, suikoden 1-5 and tactics....

anyways luca rocks, even though you hate him for beeing so savage you just gotta admire it.... HE is the best villian!!
Psi Yamaneko

Post by Psi Yamaneko »

Sometimes I wish to see a little blood. In some scenes (Suikoden V removed) blood just seems so incredibly necessary that its absence calls more attention to itself than its presence ever would.

I don't need gore but blood where it is needed wouldn't bother me.

ESRB ratings are a strange thing.

Blood from a sword wound? M-rated
Using children as meat shields (hey, S2)? T-rated

Whatever.
"And you shall wake, from country sleep, this dawn and each first dawn,
Your faith as deathless as the outcry of the ruled sun.
"
Dylan Thomas
Tsubaki

Post by Tsubaki »

I also think there should be less children in suikoden games because maybe thats whats holding it back, knowone wants to see a bunch of children in an army well wierd people mite for wierd reasons, but if the characters were more grown up maybe more would die because they cant just kill a bunch of kids.....well they could....

I think that was the down side to suikoden 3 Suikoden V removed
Psi Yamaneko

Post by Psi Yamaneko »

They can and DO kill off kids in Suikoden. Alot.

Never bothered me but I'm That Person, so. . .
"And you shall wake, from country sleep, this dawn and each first dawn,
Your faith as deathless as the outcry of the ruled sun.
"
Dylan Thomas
YouKnowYouGeddoe

Post by YouKnowYouGeddoe »

I think that maybe what some of us want to see isn't necessarily more bloodshed but simply more evil. There hasn't been anything really sinister about Suikoden villains since Luca Blight, gallons of human claret aside. It's a shame, too, because the potential was totally there.

Of course Luc and Sarah were supposed to be somewhat sympathetic, but Albert could have been way meaner. Albert should symbolize a genuine deviation in the Silverberg family tree - not just cold and calculating like Leon, but straight-up mean. I found Yuber almost as unconvincing in SIII as he was in SI and SII; he talked the talk, but his clothes did not help his case.

Konami totally blew its wad on Graham Cray and Iskas. They could have been unspeakably creepy - Cray, the not-quite-whole merchant of death, could have made for a truly disturbing villain if he had been more fully explored. Iskas, meanwhile, is the only Suikoden villain to date (with one possible spoiler exception) who has made use of sexuality as a weapon. Konami could have done waaaaaay weirder stuff with him than turn him into a giant fish. It would have been much more satisfying to kill him if he had been a pedophile or something. Maybe that's a bit too much.

I'm no Luca Blight fan, but at least he was clearly psychotic. Although blood and gore is fine and dandy, what I think we really need is not more violent villains but villains who are more deeply effed up. There's never been a whole lot of disturbing imagery in the Suikoden games, but that's a direction they could maybe pursue. Who can forget Sephiroth standing in the flames of Nibelheim, to invoke a tired but effective example?
We conjugate verbs and constipate nerds like you.
Tsubaki

Post by Tsubaki »

yea i agree, but its crap tho because i love the suikoden series but konami just keep dissapointing me now, but suikoden 5 was alot beter then 3 4 an tactics so hopefully they will get better.
enos

Post by enos »

YouKnowYouGeddoe wrote:I think that maybe what some of us want to see isn't necessarily more bloodshed but simply more evil. There hasn't been anything really sinister about Suikoden villains since Luca Blight, gallons of human claret aside. It's a shame, too, because the potential was totally there.
yeah, I agree... more "evil" is needed.. or more to the point...
The "evil in human nature"...

Where is the rape and plunder???

I'd like to see a Suikoden game where the soldiers of the "protagonists" take part in the plunder.. not everyone in an army is valorous..

When armies collide, nobody gives a damn about the civilians caught in between.. women and children are killed if they get in the way, goods are stolen, provisions will be taken by the military from commoners and nobles alike by force, cities will burn, people will starve, mercenaries will abound, scorched earth tactics are practiced, etc...

Of course, some have valor enough to protect the innocent.. but war is always chaos, lesser individuals will succumb to a "survival mentality"... they'd kill neighbors for food, water, shelter... anything they'd need for themselves...

As a game revolving heavily on war, Suikoden should at least portray the "horrors" of it... not only the glory and honor...

oh, and yes... the war veterans... ugh.. they are pretty boys with shining swords.. I mean, there shoud be at least some who are missing an ear, an eye, a nose, some fingers, a hand, an arm... anything that proves battles seasoning..

8)
Crowley's_Apprentice
Banned User

Post by Crowley's_Apprentice »

Right, but then the war vets couldn't fight as well as they used to. and these last few suikodens just have a ...lighter aura about them, whereas 1 and 2 had a very dark and sinister aura. They do need to make the suikoden villains a bit more sadistic and evil.
"Giggity Giggity Giggity!!!"--Glen Quagmire
"Victory is mine!"--Stewie Griffin
"Oh that's just nastee..."--Cleveland
"...evil monkey living in my closet..."--Chris Griffin
Tsubaki

Post by Tsubaki »

but does anyone think it will change back to what it was like or will stay being boring and childish.
:?:
a

Post by a »

Suikoden V spoilers removed
KoyuRedd

Post by KoyuRedd »

a wrote:Suikoden V spoilers.
Whenever you (and if you manage it) get I and II, you'll know what we mean by "back to what it was like".

Evil is portrayed in many ways. Whether it's a maniac or an introvert who's commanding an army, both cases (and all the others) can be extreme.

If anything I disagree with blood being shown directly to the audience. II made me cripple at Agares and Luca's death. However, I do feel like wars aren't as horrible as they are in real life. If they fix that, the violence will be sorted out with it.
[evil laugh here]
a

Post by a »

Suikoden V spoilers
KoyuRedd

Post by KoyuRedd »

a wrote:Suikoden V
I haven't played V (yet) or III, so I've based that post on the other games. >_>

II came very (maybe even too) close to having the amount of violence a Suikoden game should have. The Chinese tale (correct me if I'm wrong here) says that the 108 bandits killed and then asked questions.

That's the kind of violence I want to see.
[evil laugh here]