Female Tenkai

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Neclord X

Re: Female Tenkai

Post by Neclord X »

AlOnZo wrote:The Pokemon model would be the way to go, give people the choice. Adding in some extra dialogue and events depending on gender would be nice.
That's indeed the best solution.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

And then what, making the male hero stronger and more physical-oriented but slower and the female hero faster and more magic-oriented but slower? With several exceptions in Suikoden (we have seen the reverse of this trope, as well), this seems to be the trend for a lot of RPGs.
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

They can do it simple. Just let them mention the Tenkai based on what he/she is. The leader of the rebel army or what it will be. They can also make comments on "You remind me of your father" but just keep the gender stuff away.

Cheap shortcuts but it's getting used already so.
killerslime

Post by killerslime »

Punkaiser wrote:It's fine to be flat since the cuteness term is there for young girls but i think it'd a total turn off when it happens to a mature woman, well to be exact, Kika, S4 describes her as a beautiful and attractive woman, however i don't see the same thing, there's no need for a huge rack but at least it should make her appealing enough as a woman, eventually her physic appearance is too manly.
I think that has a lot to do with her voice actor. Kika's a total babe but when she opens her mouth she does sound like a bit of a bloke.
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

Kika's androgyny makes her more appealing to some, considering how many female characters are made to fit stereotypes. I don't think it would be bad for a female Tenkai to be like that. The characteristics that Tenkais have already displayed would be fine for either gender. Just change the pronouns and graphics and you'd have a Tenkai that was a little more like Kika and less like a stereotype.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

Of course people have different evaluation about attractiveness but overall , i think kika has much less fans compared to Jeanne/Viki or even Millay.

Looks like she has just A or B cup lol. The only womanly trait i can track from her is the curve from the hip and her feminine eyes, without theses points, it's highly possible to mistake her for a slender build dude anytime.

And certainly, a female teenager tenkai should work with kika style, since they don't have to care much about romance nor gender in suikoverse at that age.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

So we're looking for twenty-something Tenkais instead of the usual teenagers, right?

@Kika If anything, she reminds of Faris Schwerze Highwind Tycoon from FFV.
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

I never managed to imagine how Faris really looks like with that kind of art.
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

The last thing anyone should be concerned about in the quality of a character is breast size. And I'm not referring to attractiveness really, but the fact that making the main character female shouldn't mean bundling her up in girly stereotypes. The male Tenkais haven't suffered the male version of that, so there's no reason to do that to a female character either.

I wouldn't want to see a Jeane, Viki or Millay as Tenkai. I like them, but they're different Stars for a reason. Kika is as well, and I'm not saying we need a Kika clone as a Tenkai either. Just that her androgyny is much closer to what is needed in one than the stereotypical qualities of the others.
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

lol, i never said i want to see a bombshell like jeanne as tenkai star. Just hoping if there will ever be an female adult as tenkai, she wouldn't be modelled from kika. And it's absolutely fine with any style if the female protagonist is a teenager acting tomboyish, flirtatious, cold or whatever because everything is well accepted or easily forgiven for a young girl.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Well, most Tenkais were more or less described as cute and some women flirt with them, but they react shy.. I guess a female Tenkai would also be a, euh, "hidden beauty" or something. Even though I would find it strange if some old guys would flirt with a 15 year old girl :D

For an older, female Tenkai, why not modelher after Kika? But I guess a Chris (in civil outfit) would be cooler.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

I could see why would we want a Chris clone for a Tenkai.
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

I think either Kika or Chris would be fine as a model for an adult female Tenkai. With Chris being an option for FC, we were halfway there with her already.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

In case you haven't noticed (but I'm pretty sure you have already), most Suikoden heroes don't wield bladed weapons or at least aren't swordsmen. Only Lazlo can be a considered as the swordsman among the heroes, and he uses a dual-wield style at that. Hugo does wield a bladed weapon, but it's more of a melee-type dagger than a sword.

If we model an adult female Tenkai after Kika or Chris, I don't see any reason why would a Tenkai not wield a sword. For a younger Tenkai like the usual, though, the reason why I like Suikoden so much is that it doesn't use too many RPG stereotypes and yet is just as popular (if not more popular) as the likes of Final Fantasy. And so I don't see a problem with non-swordsman Tenkais as well.

That said, in keeping the Suikoden tradition of mage knight heroes (all of them (except Kyril, if you even consider him as one) actually, but Riou and Frey stand out as healer types; I can count with my fingers how many games have a healer protagonist, maybe Terra and Yuna from FFVI and FFX respectively), of course the featured True Rune shall be spell-type, though we have yet to see a passive-type TR like the Sovereign Rune (semi-active, as it also transforms the wielder into a Golden Hydra at the cost of the rune's Anti-Magic property).

So, for a female Tenkai, which TR type would you prefer: offensive (Soul Eater, True Fire, Punishment), healing (Bright Shield, Dawn), or passive (Sovereign)?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Ryu from BoF III is also a healer type (even though I don't like to use him that way, he should transform in a dragon. Still, he's got the best healing spells). I think some Dragon Quest protagonists also are healer-types. Also, I wouldn't call Suikoden just as popular as FF....

I think the surrounding of the Tenkai should decide his weapon, not that he is a Tenkai. If he'd be a knight in an army, he'd use the standard weapon of that army - most of the time a sword, maybe a spear or lance. It would be odd if the Tenkai was the only one using a different weapon (Razro also uses a sword as long as he is a Knight of Razril).

About a TR - I don't really care. I like the style of mage-warrior hybrids that has been used in the past, as that makes them quite versatile imo. They should keep that. And the TR should just fit the story and make sense.