Female Tenkai

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Personality wasn't brought up at all. We were talking about her choice of weapon.

We were talking about "her great looks," not her outfit. Different things.

You can "highly doubt" something as much as you'd like, but give me some proof.

Luca could've been female too, you know.

There's no such thing as a "womanly choice".
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thecontrivance

Post by thecontrivance »

Nothing was said about her personality. You said weapon, and I pointed out that it makes no difference, which is true. I can understand the difference in personality being substansial, but not weapon. The weapon doesn't dictate personality, or vice-versa.
Actually to some extent it can.
Arrogent/Out-going or Loud People- A large weapon(2-H Sword, War Hammer or Axe)

Elegent/Quiet/ Classy People- skinny, but elegent weapon(Masamuse, Marusame, ninja arts)

Swift People- not that strong/medium strength,but fast (lances, spears, ninja arts)

Gentle/ Perky People/Lovers- magical arts(Defensive Magic,Healing)

Determined People(that cant fight)- magical arts(Offensive magic)

Heroic/Determined People(that can)- a normal sword(Bastard Sword)

this is just what I think
EDIT by Red Killey: This member is already banned.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Strangely enough, none of the past Tenkai weapons (minus Thomas) fall into any of those criteria. Not even Nash or Kyril.

What about bow and arrows? Unconventional weapons like parasol and textbook? Magic ring? Dagger? Throwing knives? Guns? Etc.
lucreborn

Post by lucreborn »

in my opinion i always wanted the hero to have a weapon of somesort like a gun but it will be almost similar to a rune cannon. It will be able to eqipt various runes i.e fire wind earth etc and it will do attacks depending on what your weapon lvl is. Of course it will do various damage based on your weapon lvl, and also will have different attacks based on your lvl also.
"I've always been alone, ever since I was born." ~luc suikoden 3~
Kirkis

Hmm...

Post by Kirkis »

Well, I'll throw some of my thoughts in on this:

First off, I got excited when I saw the cover of Suikoden V, 'cuz I thought it was a chick, but of course it was just some really girly looking young boy, :(

I think a female lead would rock, I really don't see the complaints about playing as a female lead, it's not like it's Final Fantasy X-2 for Suikoden, where everyone dresses half-naked and sings j-pop, y'know? A friend of mine knew somebody who said "I'm not playing GTA3: San Andreas, because I don't want to play as a black guy." not only was that racist of him to say/think, he missed out on an AMAZING game because he was being stubborn and making a huge deal out of something that was a GAME. The same applys here, as it's been stated, you aren't going to be called a wuss, made fun of, etc. for playing a game with a female lead.

As for weaponry, I think a female would be carrying around a REALLY cool weapon, as most of the Suikoden heroes have all sported some sort of unique weaponry (Lazlo atleast had two swords, which was cool enough), there's never been a hero that's carried around a normal sword (I'm really not counting Thomas, even though he was a Tenkai, he wasn't a hero IMHO). I could easily see something like Dual-Chakrams, a Gun, perhaps some sort of crazy Axes.

So... in conclusion to this rant, a female lead would be awesome, and would be a nice change of pace.
Pollensalta

Re: Hmm...

Post by Pollensalta »

Kirkis wrote:
I think a female lead would rock, I really don't see the complaints about playing as a female lead, it's not like it's Final Fantasy X-2 for Suikoden, where everyone dresses half-naked and sings j-pop, y'know? A friend of mine knew somebody who said "I'm not playing GTA3: San Andreas, because I don't want to play as a black guy." not only was that racist of him to say/think, he missed out on an AMAZING game because he was being stubborn and making a huge deal out of something that was a GAME. The same applys here, as it's been stated, you aren't going to be called a wuss, made fun of, etc. for playing a game with a female lead.
I don't see the problem either... FF6 had a female lead, Terra, and it's easily the best Final Fantasy out there. Right now it seems like the only games with female leads are games like Tomb Raider and stuff like that, and chicks in fighting games (like Dead or Alive, etc) and there's really not much depth to it. Suikoden would definitely change that up.
Purr.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

I don't see the problem either... FF6 had a female lead, Terra, and it's easily the best Final Fantasy out there. Right now it seems like the only games with female leads are games like Tomb Raider and stuff like that, and chicks in fighting games (like Dead or Alive, etc) and there's really not much depth to it. Suikoden would definitely change that up.
Its amazing. A friend of mine is one of those idiots. He does not want to play ANY game with a female protagonist. I am serious. He doesn't want to play Metroid Prime because of this. And FF12 is, according to him, going to be a problem because the protagonist(Vaan) looks slightly gay(wich I do not agree with). Its weird cause he wants the game but its apparently one of his principals.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Wraith wrote:Its weird cause he wants the game but its apparently one of his principals.
Principals? I don't think you can consider prejudice, stereotyping and bigotry a principal. Would he also avoid playing as a character who's skin colour wasn't white?
I don't see the problem either... FF6 had a female lead, Terra, and it's easily the best Final Fantasy out there
Actually there were two female leads. During the world of Ruin your main character switches to Celes rather than Terra. Both were great characters!
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Principals? I don't think you can consider prejudice, stereotyping and bigotry a principal. Would he also avoid playing as a character who's skin colour wasn't white?
Yeah, I thought principals was a stupid word for him to use. Anyway, no, he doesn't mind playing someone of a different color I think. I've never asked him though. Maybe I should.

Apparently his reasoning is that if he plays a game he HAS to be able to put himself in the skin of that character or something like that and he can only do that with a male character apparently. Well, I can understand with FF X-2 but Metroid Prime?! I never should have told him Samus was female. I find the FF12 argument(that Vaan looks gay) especially stupid. There is no indication that he is gay(I doubt he is but even if he is it dousn't matter) and still he refuses to buy the game solely for this reason. Now that FF13 is confirmed to have a female protagonist he is certainly not buying that one either.

Its sad really since he loves the Final Fantasy series but feels like he won't enjoy it because of the female(or SLIGHTLY female looking, wich I don't agree with) protagonist. They all have to be like Riddick or Dante.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Well Final Fantasy and Suikoden series do have depth and character to them. If he's too shallow a person to wish to play games that might expand his horizons and thought processes then it's better that he doesn't waste everyone else's time. Maybe he should stick to games like Doom. There you can be a white straight male and shoot everything in your path. Sounds much more to his liking. I'm surprised he even liked Final Fantasy since as we said before VI has female protagonists, as does X-2.

Plus, Suikoden now does have a gay character and Lelei is forced into your team on a few occations. I'm surprised he can even make it through those scenes. :roll:

Samus doesn't even get any dialogue in the game, just one scene at the end where she takes her helmet off. That and when there are explosions you see flashes of her face. But, character development wise she's pretty light.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Oppenheimer wrote:Well Final Fantasy and Suikoden series do have depth and character to them. If he's too shallow a person to wish to play games that might expand his horizons and thought processes then it's better that he doesn't waste everyone else's time. Maybe he should stick to games like Doom. There you can be a white straight male and shoot everything in your path. Sounds much more to his liking. I'm surprised he even liked Final Fantasy since as we said before VI has female protagonists, as does X-2.

Plus, Suikoden now does have a gay character and Lelei is forced into your team on a few occations. I'm surprised he can even make it through those scenes. :roll:

Samus doesn't even get any dialogue in the game, just one scene at the end where she takes her helmet off. That and when there are explosions you see flashes of her face. But, character development wise she's pretty light.
His problems are only with the main character. And he hasnt played S5 yet or any Suikoden for that matter. We live in europe and he might buy it after the release but he might be frightened by the prince's clothing though he had did not comment on him when I showed him the end of the game.

Hm, well...he likes FF 7-8 and 10. I don't think he even played any others but I know he likes the series. And I tried to get him to play other games such as The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time but he insisted that the start(Kokori Village) is too colourfull and happy for his taste and turned of the GameCube. He also sold his Tales of Eternia for the PSP because they suddenly went into space and there was this colourfull happy village or something. His kind of games are constant action (Devil May Cry for example).

Anyway, I'm not sure how many people have this mentality but do you think konami (or any other developer) would take this into account?
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Wraith wrote:Anyway, I'm not sure how many people have this mentality but do you think konami (or any other developer) would take this into account?
Yes, unfortunately. The reason games "play it safe" with the same type of teenage male characters over and over again are because of close minded people like him.
thecontrivance

Post by thecontrivance »

That dosent mean that their close minded that's just who the're marketing to. In business(especially the mass media), companies tend to make their characters look like the people they're marketing to. They think its teenage boys who are buying the suikoden series(the most), so thats who they are going to favor.

If they though American girls were into suikoden, as much as American boys were then it would be a Tierra instead of a Tir, Ria instead of a Riou
and a Layla instead of a Lazlo

You just don't put Zena in GI Joe, you put a Marylne Monroe with oversized you know whats......
EDIT by Red Killey: This member is already banned.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

thecontrivance wrote:If they though American girls were into suikoden, as much as American boys were then it would be a Tierra instead of a Tir, Ria instead of a Riou
and a Layla instead of a Lazlo
Those novel names aren't meant for Americans though. Otherwise, the novels would have been translated into the American language?

Wait. Then why do we insist on using those names more than the intended audience do? Wonderful.
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

Okay... MAYBE I see his arguement with X-2... it was just a BAD game... (I own it and can't even bring myself to really play it... cool concept, horrible battle system... switching jobs on the fly, etc. I mean... come on!)

Anyhow, as for the whole Samus thing... just wow... she doesn't even have Dialogue like... EVER... and for the longest time (heck even to this day) some people STILL think it's a guy.

Also, as a side-note, FF6 really never did have a main character, it was pretty much a toss up though between Terra, Locke, or Celes, but if you're just basing it off the fact that they had party lead for awhile... that'd make Tifa & Cid main characters in FF7, :o