Female Tenkai

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
ninjaluc79

Re: Female Tenkai

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Looking at each installment in the series, I'm pretty sure each TR so far made sense plot-wise. Gameplay-wise is of course debatable.

I agree that they should keep the Tenkai a Mage Knight like they have always done. This is coming from somebody who wants to try a game with an archer or squishy wizard for a protagonist for a change.

Warriors and Mage Knights, no matter how good heroes they could make, still get pretty stale after a while.
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

An archer as a Tenkai sounds good to me. I wouldn't mind the Rune being a passive one though, as long as the other slots become available at a reasonable time.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Female Tenkai it would be intresting....but not in her teens,for God's sake. :x

I'd like to see a middle-aged person as a Tenkai...i don't mind if it's a man or a woman....i just wish to be middle-aged.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Bears repeating: LIGHTNING. FARRON.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Say, what kind of TR do you think would suit a female Tenkai: offensive type (Soul Eater, Punishment) or supportive type (Bright Shield, Dawn)?

I'm basing the story of my female Tenkai from the legend of Princess Pingyang of the Tang Dynasty. She should be a good pick. Then her husband could be like Gremio or somebody else.
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

Offensive would be best imo. Supportive might be too stereotypically feminine for a female, and Tenkais aren't. I think it would give a better balance to her character.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Agreed. There's still nothing much covered in the Suikoverse, right? I mean, there's still Hikusaak and Harmonia, but if I wanted a post-Suikoden III period for a female Tenkai, are Nagarea and Zelant good choices for covering the story?

I pretty much need a corrupt government to begin with, since Pingyang helped her father build the resistance against the cruel Chinese Emperor. So I wanted to know what do you think of Nagarea, Kanakan, Zelant, and Harmonia.
killerslime

Post by killerslime »

Nagarea and Zelant sound like better contenders. I picture Kanakan being to tiny far a full scale Suikoden type war although you could include more reoccurring stars of destiny it being in the northern continent and all. It could be one of the many countries absorbed by Harmonia like Sanadia. What about the Nameless lands?
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

There's nothing much about the Nameless Lands, right?

But we can use some obscure yet powerful country there as the setting of the story.
killerslime

Post by killerslime »

Yeah and include Camaro some how. It depends how you feel about bringing old characters back and if you do then which ones. Personally i love seeing familiar faces in new Suikoden games getting their stories fleshed out but i know that some people aren't so keen. A lot of Suikoden 5's cast could reappear if you set the story in Nagarea and you could include New Armes as well. Where as Nameless lands, Harmonia or Kanakan could feature people from the first three games. The Lindwurm Mercanary Brigade, Ernst, Norma and Levi could appear if you choose Zelant and you could also include Gaien Dukedom possibly as your obscure yet powerful country.

On the subject of weapons i don't think bladed pole arms are used nearly enough in RPG's especially as the main characters weapon. Ephraim from Fire Emblem the Sacred Stones is the only one i can think of off hand.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

A female spearman Tenkai, huh? Not bad, considering the Ancient Chinese has bladed polearms as part of their weaponry.

But yeah, as much as spears are not usually used as hero weapons, I'm actually thinking of a war fan (something like a tessen).

One of the themes of Pingyang's rebellion is uniting the divided people under a corrupt empire into a single force for overthrowing the tyrant. Warlords and bandit leaders were some of her recruits, so unless I could expand Zelant into territories ruled by vassals of Gaien, there's no story yet.
killerslime

Post by killerslime »

Yeah a Tessen would be cool and more original then a spear i guess, would it be used more like Mortal Kombats Kitana's fan or King of Fighters Mai's fan?
ninjaluc79 wrote: One of the themes of Pingyang's rebellion is uniting the divided people under a corrupt empire into a single force for overthrowing the tyrant. Warlords and bandit leaders were some of her recruits, so unless I could expand Zelant into territories ruled by vassals of Gaien, there's no story yet.
It sounds pretty Suikodeny to me. That could work couldn't it? We know that the Dukedom used Razril and Middleport as vassal states and attempted to invade Kooluk so they would fit the bill. Are you thinking of making a game or writing a story?
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

More like Kitana.

But they've already used that plot in IV, right?
killerslime

Post by killerslime »

Yeah Kitana is cool, her fan throw move is near unbeatable if you can spam it quick enough. It was Kooluk who were invading the Island Nations. Gaien was more for the backstory of Suikoden 4 kind of like how Harmonia is for 2 although Sasarai does appear in that game briefly. Maybe Nagarea would be a better setting. They don't seem too different then Harmonia what with them being expansionists and Religious. Or possibly set it in New Armes and make Nagarea the antagonist?

I think the hardest thing about making a new Suikoden game is deciding which True Runes will feature. You really need at least two, possibly three. One for the protagonist, one for the Tablet Guardian and one for the final boss though 4 breaks this tradition. You could always make it post Suikoden 3 then you could use the True Wind Rune and feature Albert Silverberg.

Or make it post Suikoden 2 and give Luc one more war to participate in before he dons that mask. Zerase could be your Tablet Guardian but i think she would only involve herself if either the Sun or Night runes make an appearance. Ted could appear pre Suikoden 1, it does say that he was involved in many fights between 4 and 1. Theres always making up your own rune but thats not as easy as it sounds. Do you have any True Runes in mind?
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

No TR so far, but IIRC TRs are more or less embodiments of concepts which have dual natures: one nurturing, and one destructive. The TRs usually start off in its destructive phase, only by collecting 108 SoDs that the TR unleashes its nurturing phase, as is most evident with Soul Eater (by resurrecting Gremio) and Punishment (by removing the damage penalties for Lazlo).

The problem with Nagarea is that they're a theocracy, which means someone like a High Priest is ruling over them. I think Zelant more likely fits

I love the idea of the return of the True Wind Rune, but the other True Elemental Runes must be present, I guess. Then maybe we could have all the heroes from previous Suikodens together as guest stars, so to speak, like what they did with Tir in II and Lazlo in Tactics. Of course, bringing Frey could be a problem because he will no longer have the Dawn Rune.