Suikoden going downhill?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Night

Post by Night »

Sigurd wrote:I don't think Suikoden is as common as Final Fantasy because Suikoden is never out on PAL. The only Suikoden game out in Europe, officially, not chipped/imported, is Suikoden IV. So, if Suikoden was brought out in more places, then it'd probably be one of the more-known RPGs. I prefer it to Final Fantasy now.
But anyway, if the Suikoden series is not brought out in enough places, it won't make much money compared to the potential of it being sold everywhere.
Europe is only missing one Suikoden game, Suikoden III. Suikoden I and II were both available on PAL. Tactics is out in a couple of weeks. We are missing the Gaidens, but they were only available in Japan anyway. So it's inaccurate to say it is never out on PAL.
Ice has formed and there's snow between the tracks/ And I have seen the surface tear and I can't look back/ And cool low sun has blinded you for days from horizon to horizon can I dream this all away
Sigurd
Location: Suikoden IV is the best ever Suikoden - Tactics is the worst.

Post by Sigurd »

Suikoden I and II were??? Dammit, I never, ever seen them in the shops where I live. Wait... I think I saw a few copies in Virgin, but they never interested me.
But the Gaidens... if they were brought out in different places, Suikoden would still be known a lot more.
Night

Post by Night »

Admittedly, they were out on PS1 so this was a while ago, and they are pretty rare nowadays. I was lucky enough to notice Suikoden II in the shops when it came out, thought it looked cool and picked it up (there were loadsa copies there too). However, you won't even get them second-hand in shops nowadays (trust me, anybody who works in a game shop in the UK knows to grab Suikoden for themselves before it even reaches the shelves).

In my view, the Gaidens would only be useful if I and II were re-released. They aren't really aimed at European customers (mostly text-based I believe) and they mostly give side stories to the earlier Suikoden games, so if you haven't played the first two the Gaidens won't be anywhere near as appealing!

But I agree, in as much as I think they should have made many more copies of the other Suikodens available. I've said before that I work in one of the biggest GAME shops in Scotland, and we received about six copies of Suikoden IV in total, then never saw it again. I tell ya, that isn't gonna build a new fanbase for them.

But away from that (lengthy) digression, I don't know if Tactics will do too well over here (I think it comes out around the 23rd February). Most PS2 tactics games have barely sold in our store, which is a shame because I did enjoy Suikoden Tactics. I actually think Suikoden IV brought Tactics down, because everyone is comparing the stories. Taken on its own I enjoyed Tactics (whereas I found IV quite a chore at times).
Ice has formed and there's snow between the tracks/ And I have seen the surface tear and I can't look back/ And cool low sun has blinded you for days from horizon to horizon can I dream this all away
Mikalakatov

Post by Mikalakatov »

Mad Prince of Highland wrote:
Silver Dragon Flik wrote:I guess I'm too happy very easily about games. Still I have loved every single Final Fantasy I have played so far, except FF5. I really loved FFX and X-2. In the BOF series I loved 3 and 4 but didn't like 5. I have liked every Suikoden so far, I just hope I'll ever get to play S3 though.....
Agreed.
I loved all the FF series except X and X-2, I saw no point in them and did not like the character designs nor music, as for BoF, I've played all the first four games but not the 5th so I don't really have anyting against it yet. But as for Suikoden, there has not been a Suikoden that I have not liked with a passion, I may dissagree with an aspect of a system, like the trinity system or the un-godly amouts of "random" battles on the sea, but I loved them nonetheless, just that they are not on the top two slots of my favorite RP games.
Agremsep

Post by Agremsep »

It's gone down-hill with Suiko 4 and Tactics. But expect a resurgence with 5.
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

whoa whoa whoa, tactics is a very good game. Plot might have been sub-par but the gameplay was excellent.
Strategy is the key to victory!
pesmerga786

Post by pesmerga786 »

I dont think suikoden is going down hill, suikoden 3 was a spectacular game with a new way to play. trying new things never hurts. suikoden 4 wasn't all that bad but the texture and graphics were quite boring to me and im not sure much about everyone else's feeling on suikoden 4. suikoden 5 looks incredible to me. it looks like it is going to be the best rpg so far. i just have a feeling and by all the information and ther storyline looks to be very interesting and fun to play through. if you ask me suikoden might be going uphill after suikoden 5, hopefully they get good sales
Silver Dragon Flik

Post by Silver Dragon Flik »

PAL users have to wait until it's conformed that the sales were good from US, then they will think about releasing the game in EU...
Agremsep

Post by Agremsep »

MatildaWhiteKnightLeader wrote:whoa whoa whoa, tactics is a very good game. Plot might have been sub-par but the gameplay was excellent.
If the plot is sub-parred, then why you call it a very good game? For me, it's just a standard SLG with crap story but nice decent gameplay. So, it's a standard game. Not very good game.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

Silver Dragon Flik wrote:PAL users have to wait until it's conformed that the sales were good from US, then they will think about releasing the game in EU...
so konami hasn't said there releasing Suikoden 5 in Europe?

I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't,considering they released suikoden 4 in Pal when obviously suikoden 4 didnt sell the way konami hoped

also, konami is VERY behind the suikoden series, if they feel suikoden 5 is really great, they will release it everywhere they can

IMO
anokosa

Post by anokosa »

konami lost a hell of money on suikoden 3. i know that. that's why they did'nt bring it out in europe. and why they struggled with getting 4 out.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Silver Dragon Flik wrote:PAL users have to wait until it's conformed that the sales were good from US, then they will think about releasing the game in EU...
Konami have plans to bring it out this autumn in Europe:
http://uk.gs.konami-europe.com/news.do?idNews=144
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

I knew konami europe was gonna release suikoden 5, thanks for confirming it lemmy

I know this is off topic but..anyone read in the above link about the"home base" system? this means that the castle will grow! just like suikoden 1 and 2!

suikoden 5 just keeps getting better and better
Sigurd
Location: Suikoden IV is the best ever Suikoden - Tactics is the worst.

Post by Sigurd »

Yes!! Although, shouldn't get hopes too high... it could be delayed...
Mikalakatov

Post by Mikalakatov »

Agremsep wrote:
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader wrote:whoa whoa whoa, tactics is a very good game. Plot might have been sub-par but the gameplay was excellent.
If the plot is sub-parred, then why you call it a very good game? For me, it's just a standard SLG with crap story but nice decent gameplay. So, it's a standard game. Not very good game.
Whats so great about gameplay? If the story line is good as well as the music, then why should gameplay matter? A game is finished whether it takes 30 hours or 40, it doesn't really matter all that much does it?