Suikoden going downhill?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Silver Dragon Flik

Suikoden going downhill?

Post by Silver Dragon Flik »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this so please move this if this is the wrong place.

It really seems there's no love for S4 and Rapsodia..... I have played S1,2 and 4 so far and liked them all. S4 is at the bottom of my list but I still loved it.

I liked the story how it was mainly about the rune and secondary about the war. I liked the change to sea too, characters looked great. I would have like more character depth but I didn't really care much. The ship as HQ looked very great.

However I hated the lack of runes in the game I would have liked to see the Blue gate, Gozz, Unicorn, Darkness, Ressurection, Great Hawk from S2 or the Boar rune, Hate rune from S1. Those melee runes made the melee only character better but they removed most of those runes!!! Only the Shrike and Falcon limited to 1 character remained!

Secondly (S4 Spoilers)

I was disappointed how easy it was to take back Razril! Only a small sea battle and a lousy fight against 2 Gaien Knights... And Obel is taken back with only a sea battle too. I expected longer battles against more Kooluk ships and normal battles against soldiers and boss fights. It seemed like almost nothing. Not even one boss fight!
There should have been more dungeons through the entire story too in stead of mainly going over the seas most of the time.

But other than that I really loved S4 and especially the return of Ted (It got me interested in S1 again!). For me it is an another great addition to the very interesting storyline of Suikoden. But I can understand very well why most of you didn't like S4. It could have been much better for a PS2 game.

Also Rapsodia doesn't seem much better or some say it makes it even worse. It probably make it to Europe since I already heard so many hate speaches about it. So it seems to me that the Suikoden series will die if the makers won't make it better.. I sure don't want this to happen! :cry:
Night

Post by Night »

It probably (won't) make it to Europe since I already heard so many hate speaches about it.
It's being released on the 24th of February. So it definitely will be coming out here.
Ice has formed and there's snow between the tracks/ And I have seen the surface tear and I can't look back/ And cool low sun has blinded you for days from horizon to horizon can I dream this all away
Buff

Re: Suikoden going downhill?

Post by Buff »

Silver Dragon Flik wrote:
Also Rapsodia doesn't seem much better or some say it makes it even worse. It probably make it to Europe since I already heard so many hate speaches about it. So it seems to me that the Suikoden series will die if the makers won't make it better.. I sure don't want this to happen! :cry:
where have you seen hate speaches at.i haven't seen a hate speach yet.
Mad Prince of Highland

Post by Mad Prince of Highland »

True that the reviewers tore apart both Suikoden IV and Tactics, but their job is to be critical and reviewing games is their job. I play the game to enjoy myself and be lost in the story. I loved IV and Tactics. Its in the eye of the beholder.
"Fear is a stupid emotion."
GenmaNinja

Post by GenmaNinja »

I like Suikoden IV a lot. It wasn't the greatest game, but it is better than most of the other RPG's out there. I beat Tactics and I have to honestly say that I don't like that game that much at all.
Throw your life away for justice.
Silver Dragon Flik

Re: Suikoden going downhill?

Buff wrote:
Silver Dragon Flik wrote:
where have you seen hate speaches at.i haven't seen a hate speach yet.
Sorry I used the wrong words to say it. I think it's more disliking a game like in this topic. I'm happy to know the game will come out for EU too. I'm a big fan of tactic games. And I have some feelings I will be one of the few people to like STactics :)
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Most of the people within the online Suikoden community really enjoyed Tactics, and a lot even found a new love for IV after having played it. Just though I'd point out that it hasn't been all doom and gloom for Tactics thus far.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Actually, outside of this topic I haven't heard anyone say that they hated Tactics on the whole. Some people said they don't like the strategy genre, but that's not a criticism against the game so much.
Raftrider

Post by Raftrider »

I won't consider the series going downhill quite yet....Suikoden V will most likely be the deciding factor for the future of the series.
Relisus

Post by Relisus »

Honestly to me even if Suikoden is going downhill, it is still miles above any other RPG series to me. Suikoden V may be the deciding factor for many casual gamers but to me I will always buy a game with the Suikoden name on it. Call me a fanboy but I can't get enough of the Suikoden world and characters in it.
You ever wanna talk Suikoden feel free to IM anytime.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I personally don't have blind faith in anything; a game has to earn my respect in every instalment. However, if a game has good president I give it some leeway. Everyone's allowed one or two mistakes. Games like Final Fantasy are quickly running out of that leeway in my mind though, while Breath of Fire has completely run out and turned from a loved series to one I wouldn't touch without a lot of convincing. But, Tactics was good enough to keep Suikoden in my good books.
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

BF seemed to die for me after the second installment, just wasn't as good anymore. I think FF isn't as good as it used to be, too much of the same thing. Suikoden is defintaly still good in my book.
Silver Dragon Flik

I guess I'm too happy very easily about games. Still I have loved every single Final Fantasy I have played so far, except FF5. I really loved FFX and X-2. In the BOF series I loved 3 and 4 but didn't like 5. I have liked every Suikoden so far, I just hope I'll ever get to play S3 though.....
Mad Prince of Highland

Post by Mad Prince of Highland »

Silver Dragon Flik wrote:I guess I'm too happy very easily about games. Still I have loved every single Final Fantasy I have played so far, except FF5. I really loved FFX and X-2. In the BOF series I loved 3 and 4 but didn't like 5. I have liked every Suikoden so far, I just hope I'll ever get to play S3 though.....
Agreed.
"Fear is a stupid emotion."
Sigurd
Location: Suikoden IV is the best ever Suikoden - Tactics is the worst.

Post by Sigurd »

I don't think Suikoden is as common as Final Fantasy because Suikoden is never out on PAL. The only Suikoden game out in Europe, officially, not chipped/imported, is Suikoden IV. So, if Suikoden was brought out in more places, then it'd probably be one of the more-known RPGs. I prefer it to Final Fantasy now.
But anyway, if the Suikoden series is not brought out in enough places, it won't make much money compared to the potential of it being sold everywhere.