Suikoden MMORPG

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
nephlabobo

Post by nephlabobo »

Lurker1 wrote:Personally I hope they never make a MMORPG out of this game.

I've played all of them and they have become so static and boring and alike that it makes me sick, and some of the people that you encounter in those games :roll: ugg you know the PL$$T badrunetrueruneman and those who bought their true rune character on ebay. Then there are others will run scams or go around playing Luca Blights and randomly killing people.
Agree completely. MMO RPGS are a complete waste of time. They're scams.

Buy a game so you can pay a monthly fee to play it?

Rubbish.

They have NO plots and only involve endless level grinding to get better items.....so you can do more level grinding.

One of Suikoden's strongest points is its plots. Suikoden doesn't need to become another generic hack and slash game.

*NO* Suiko MMO RPG.
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

wolfi wrote:while the idea sounds like fun it isnt probly going to be so.

suikoden is about story and charracters. In a mmorpg Its almoast impossible to tell a really good story since all of the players on the server has to get or be involved in it.

i addition to that the uniqe charracters is also what makes the suiko games great. In a game with thousands of players the uniqness of each character would be very small and thus take away a very important aspect of the suikoden game.. unless they made thousands of amors and wepons haircuts and that alike.... but that would be too difficult

unless they made the max poulation of a server 108 ;)
I'm not exactly saying that they should make MMORPG of Suikoden, but the thing is, Suikoden MMOPRG would not be the same as the traditional RPG. So if there is a Suikoden MMORPG in the future, then people should have different expectation to the game compared to the traditional ones. Kind of like how Suikoden Tactics is still a good game despite not having 108 SoD and the likes.

As for the storyline, MMORPG can definitely tell a good story by making the story to be part of the missions. This is done quite well in Final Fantasy XI where some missions and quests really have good story. Many people probably think that MMORPG means nothing more but leveling and more leveling. But it really depends on the game and how the player behave.

For example: I played FFXI and maximum level there is 75, and there are around 15 different jobs that you have to level one by one from 1-75 if you want to maximize all your jobs. I got one main job to level 75, and then I have no real desire to take another job to 75. Instead, now I can take things slow and I chose to play for fun. Helping out friends and sometimes even just walk around and enjoying the view. If I feel like doing more stories, then there are many more missions and quests that I haven't done yet. So the options are there.

Personally, I think I will enjoy Suikoden MMORPG if such thing is made. It's going to be fun to play with friends and able to explore for more areas than the ones already shown in the games.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
CJack14dt

Viki's Oops?

Post by CJack14dt »

I would think the following could work. Viki for one reason or another has lost control of her rune and she is causing havok in time and space, characters from everywhere and any time keep appearing in the world both bad and good. When you create a new character you have a predestined star you are born under. Now (randomly determined) over the course of the game's life and expansions developers release previous stars into the game as playable characters. When you create a new character there is a chance that the game will offer you to be one of these characters. You can take the chance and default to that character or the opportunity will pass to another person creating a character.

Now there are only 27 True Runes and they can choose to show themselves at any time, and go back into slumber at anytime. Anybody can inherit these runes but if they die in combat and are not raised by someone, they lose their True Rune. The Rune will then either transfer to the nearest person (like Punishment) or dissapear for a while to go back into slumber only to reappear an hour, day, week, month or year later (real time) and attatch itself to a new person. (random cutscene in a random shrine or somethin)

Now there would be numerous castles, villages and clans across the world. Anyone born under the Tenkai star can collect all the different stars (which you're one of) or some portion thereof and claim one of the structures for your base. However, other Tenkai stars can gather a group and challenge you for the base. This would keep things mixed up and keep you in demand whether you have been recruited or not

Finally the story could be around the bad guys (new and old) that Viki occasionnally brings into the world. New bad guys can come out with new expansions.
Red rune

Post by Red rune »

hey, how about if a normal player get a true rune (if your like one of the players with a really high level or do a difficult quest) :D
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Its kind of hard seeing a Suikoden game as a MMORPG, I'm not that big of fan of them first of all, but I won't let that mess with my judgement if they ever create one. And even if they did make one, do you really believe it will be outside of Japan? Plus I hate paying monthly online just to play it. Pretty much if one is created, the question is, will it have characters from previous games? What year would it take place? It's easy to create one for other series like say Final Fantasy, because their games aren't linked together(except for FFX-FFX2)I'd say it would be intriguing but a headache for Konami. I guess what I am trying to point out, is if this possible-future installment will branch off and not be part of the main focus and story, thanks. =)
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
TOAMN

Post by TOAMN »

I agree with the person who said that the plot is the most important part of Suikoden games. I know for a fact they wouldn't be near as fun if they didn't have the amazing stories that they do. If you make a MMORPG out of it, you take a great game, and turn it in to spending hours of leveling up, so you completely forget the story, if there even is one. So, no, an MMORPG would be one of the worse things they could do to Suikoden.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

I don't know, I'd still have a blast with it because I love MMOs and there are infinite possibilities that could be done with a Suikoden MMO. There's a HUGE world out there, and it would be awesome to be able to explore endlessly and do whatever you wanted. But it'll still never happen, and even if it did, I wouldn't want it to be until after the whole series wraps up so there aren't as many loose ends.
Purr.
TOAMN

Post by TOAMN »

While I agree; it would be pretty sweet to be able to explore the suikoden world without boundaries, with a MMO it would be difficult to follow the format of 108 SoD, and how the hero gets a true rune, that would be impossible unless the game only had 27 players!

BUt yeah, the idea of a Suikoden MMO is very doubtful
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

Suikoden Tactics didn't follow that formula either, though.
Purr.
EternalOnslaught

Pollensalta wrote:I don't know, I'd still have a blast with it because I love MMOs and there are infinite possibilities that could be done with a Suikoden MMO. There's a HUGE world out there, and it would be awesome to be able to explore endlessly and do whatever you wanted. But it'll still never happen, and even if it did, I wouldn't want it to be until after the whole series wraps up so there aren't as many loose ends.
I agree with pollensalta

I did a little thinking after the first post I did on this subject, and I realize that perhaps this wouldn't be that bad of an ideal. But at a catch, I believe the only way this could work if say, after the final suikoden installments. Than you could travel the Suikoden world without any confusing, because I'm pretty sure there are a lot of the world that hasn't been in the games yet, important places anyways. And atleast have discover all the 27 true runes. Only 14-15 so far? 13 to go? Just pointing out the idea isn't bad, but we need to know more first. I don't want another FFXI(not saying it's a bad game)
TOAMN

Post by TOAMN »

Unfortunately I haven't been able to play Suikoden Tactics, so I wouldn't know about it, sorry. But, I still don't think it would be a good idea to make an MMO. Although I will agree that it would be better if it was after the last games, so as not to confuse players with worlds that they haven't seen.
Last edited by TOAMN on Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EternalOnslaught

TOAMN wrote:Unfortunately I haven't been able to play Suikoden Tactics, so I wouldn't know about it. Sorry.
Oh? It's a really good SRPG, you should try and find yourself a copy, if you like SRPGs. It's worth it, even if you don't. It has a lot of information about IV's storyline as well.
TOAMN

Post by TOAMN »

I've been trying to get a copy actually, the local gamestop has one, I just havven't had enough money. Lol, i've been saving up though.
EternalOnslaught

Sorry, that was a bit offtopic. To say it was release, after the series finally ends. To point it out, I don't think the SODS can be playable characters, or if they were there, their could only be so many players(but they can be part of the game/storyline as NPCs) Perhaps you create/edit your own character in the story or game? And also by gender and perhaps races that existed in the Suikoverse. I'd say it would be kind of cool to play as a Duck :D
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

That's another good thing - there are so many different races and clans that there would be a lot of customization involved in character creation - and that's big for me.
Purr.