Suikoden MMORPG

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Artificity

Post by Artificity »

(Not Suiko related but... LevelUp! aren't game producers/designers. They distribute them. Case in point: Ragnarok Online was done by Gravity and LevelUp! were just the guys who brought them over here and manage the official server. I'm surprised to see more Filipino Suikoden fans though. :D)

How would the battle system work as well. We know that Runes aren't affected by the traditional rules of RPG statistics and MP. It would kind of suck to be in the middle of levelling up my mage if all of a sudden my rune just decided to stop working. Or how do S/M/L ranges work when you're just alone, more importantly, what does an M range do exactly in an MMORPG? It's always ben that you were either a melee or projectile fighter. There was no middle range.
Lampdragon bandits fo' lyf, biznatch! <3
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

The battle system may be turn-based, but in fields and dungeons encounters are random. Does anyone know Fairyland? If so, its battle system might be like that. Then the M-range applies.
But if it's real-time, obviously there are only melee and projectile fighters. No mid-range fighters though. Nice thinking, Artificity! :)
Oh, I see. Thanks a lot for that info. Nice one.:)
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

ninjaluc79 wrote:The SOD's? Hmm... let's see...

There are only 27 True Runes... and there maybe TRs which have more than one aspect, like the rune of Beginning... but we exclude Circle Rune, Gate Rune, Beast Rune, and other runes which can't be inherited by Suikoden protagonists. We are left at less than 24 TRs, and RB has two aspects, making it less than 25.

Say there are 25 inheritors to each TR, then if each inheritor has 108 followers including themselves, that makes 2,700 players. And I'm pretty sure that players will reach 3,000 (RoK has more than 20,000!), so SOD's will not really work like son michael said, but unites do work here.

Or maybe like this, the story maybe about a war between all the nations in the Suikoverse, and the protagonists of GS games may be GM-controlled who go out searching for followers only within his/her own continent through an event game. Instead of performing tests for an SOD to join the protagonists' group, the 'TR inheritors' themselves give a test open for all players. When they pass the test, they will become SODs, the sorry flunkers can serve their own country by serving at the inheritors' castles, but they will only be known as the citizens of their own country.
However, the flunkers can go back to the process again, as long as the inheritors haven't recruited their 107 players yet.

Whaddaya think?

you know...I really love these ideas!

ok so we start the game and we choose which nation we wanna be apart of,the choices are holy harmonia{under sasarai} falena{player must be a female character and they will be under the prince} toran{under tir mcdohl} dunan[riou and jowy will be the commanders for the dunan army}zexen{under chris light fellow} grassslands{under hugo} and the island nations{under Lazlo}

ok so weve chosen our nations, now we have to create our characters, we can be a male or female of: kobolds,nay kobolds,ducks,lizards,beavers,mermaids,squirels,dwarves,elves,vampires and whatever else race I forgot

so the main story is all the nations are at war with each other, some suspect its hikkusak,others think its a specific nation thats power hungry, leknaat is no where to be found,every nation is on there guard and there all at war with each other

you start by watching a nice little cut scene of how this huge world war started and then after the scene, your npc commander/instructer/teacher{depends on what nation your in} orders you to go out of the nation and perform various quest, now once your out on the world map it would be just like World Of WarCraft,at first you will have to stay and level up your character, then you can go to the specific areas of the world map which have stronger enemies and the quest items you seek, the battle system can be like star ocean till the end of time,it would be real time and the camera will zoom in on the battle until you decide to cancel it{some enemies will have an ability that dosent allow you to run from the battle} or win,winning gives you experience points and a +point in all your stats.

ok so other players will be performing quest for there specific nations so naturally all the items you collect will re spawn so other players can get them, if you see other players the game will mark them as enemies and you will immediatly be in battle,who ever wins takes a percentage of money from the player he/she defeated,when a player dies they will either be sent back to a camp out place on the world map{a temporary safe haven} or they will be returned to there kingdom{so it will be important to keep your forces at your camp out bases so enemies cant destroy them and make you re spawn in your kingdoms

ok so when your in your kingdom you can do mini quest for people npcs, these quest will be confined to the kingdoms only and will net you money,experience,better weapons,armors,items,special runes ect

occasionally advanced players will be given a mission to go into enemy territory,the players of that kingdom will be alerted of intruders and all players in that kingdom will be on the alert to destroy any intruders

bassically im thinking every player gets 6 party members, and 108 characters to choose from{go on sidequest to get these characters or they will be given to you by the game} you will be the only on screen character but when you get into battle your other 5 characters will appear besides you and they will be npcs,the star ocean till the end of time battle system wouldnt work with so many characters so it would then switch to World Of Warcraft battle system{star ocean battle system would only be used when you have 3 characters against an enemy}

ok so when you get strong enough you can go to certain areas on the map which have war battles going on between nations and you can get involved with that,you can get mounts and recruit factions to your cause{such as the dragon knights}

on the world map you can find merchants that are willing to sell you stuff

you can partner up with allied players of your nation and you can have a party of 6 people, but when you get into battle...you would have 36 characters on the field at maximum to fight against an enemy or other players from enemy nations

viki and jeane will be in this game! but they will be neutral, jeane will be sellign runes as always and viki will set up teleportation spots everywhere, players can use these telport spots to teleort from there kingdoms to certain areas on the map

the setting will have to be when all the leaders of the nations are alive except for suikoden 4's characters, only Lazlo will be alive in this game,so naturally this will take place when everyone in suiko 4 is dead

wow..lol so thats what I came up with after reading ninja lucs post...maybe if we can work out some of the kinks...blizzard and konami could team up? hey you never know....
Pearl

Post by Pearl »

I wish Konami would make this kind of game and then...ooopsss...there goes my social life....again (after FF Online). If they really do, I think the world map would be huge...but how about the timeline? All Suikoden's games range trhough different times or even lifetimes. It would be quite impossible to work under Lazlo or McDohl at the same time...I think. Nevertheless, it would be a cool game.

Edit: Nevermind my last few lines. I didn't clearly read son-Michael's post about the setting.
pesmerga786

Post by pesmerga786 »

ninjaluc79 wrote:The SOD's? Hmm... let's see...

There are only 27 True Runes... and there maybe TRs which have more than one aspect, like the rune of Beginning... but we exclude Circle Rune, Gate Rune, Beast Rune, and other runes which can't be inherited by Suikoden protagonists. We are left at less than 24 TRs, and RB has two aspects, making it less than 25.

Say there are 25 inheritors to each TR, then if each inheritor has 108 followers including themselves, that makes 2,700 players. And I'm pretty sure that players will reach 3,000 (RoK has more than 20,000!), so SOD's will not really work like son michael said, but unites do work here.

Or maybe like this, the story maybe about a war between all the nations in the Suikoverse, and the protagonists of GS games may be GM-controlled who go out searching for followers only within his/her own continent through an event game. Instead of performing tests for an SOD to join the protagonists' group, the 'TR inheritors' themselves give a test open for all players. When they pass the test, they will become SODs, the sorry flunkers can serve their own country by serving at the inheritors' castles, but they will only be known as the citizens of their own country.
However, the flunkers can go back to the process again, as long as the inheritors haven't recruited their 107 players yet.

Whaddaya think?
wow that would be a great story

I have one also, I'm going to sum it up. You could be one of those warriors, mages or something in the suikoden world and could travel the world with a party and make friends and stuff. From there you can do quests and all that stuff and learn about characters from different villages or history of some things. I am just generalizing so this isn't really in depth. I dont want anyone quoting me saying please be more specific :roll:
Artificity

Post by Artificity »

I'm not too keen on Viki setting up teleportation spots. (Partly because I think that she can't do that or is capable of doing that without screwing up... again.) Part of the charm of creating a world that's predominantly ruled by war is the concept of logistics. During war sequences, it would be a real downer if you could just get from one point to another and rescue your allies in the blink of an eye. There could be a hostility system implemented though so that you can meet up with another faction but don't have to automatically go into battle. Diplomacy serves a huge part in war and you could have allied tribes as well which cuts down on having to fight everyone you see just because they dress differently. Of course, we throw all this out the window once there are only two large tribes left for the endgame. :wink:

Multiple shifts in battle sequences are also very clumsy to handle. You'd have to create different ways for your abilities to work, how they work in these new battle conditions and overall just make it feel "not" like an MMORPG. :|

I'm also still thinking if there should be a "real" plot behind it, seeing as there aren't a lot of MMORPG's with developing plots to begin with. They're all one huge game that don't really have any ends to them and I'm wondering if this should be the same.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

son michael, you forgot one race: humans. And they exist in the whole suikoverse. come on, these creatures are not the only ones fighting a war.

The hostility system doesn't work that right, since it can create unhealthy competition among the nations in the Suikoverse. Though in this system you can check how strong you are compared to other races, diplomacy is also important in the suikoverse, as artificity had implied. Wars will only occur if any of these conditions occur:

1. A nation or an alliance of nations seek for more political and military power;
2. There is a misunderstanding between nations or even races(e.g. between kobolds and humans in Two River);
3. When outlaws attack a town which is a part of a nation. Of course that town will seek help from the leaders of their nation, and if they feel they can't defeat them themselves, they may call in the others to forge an alliance. And I think the NPC inheritors of the true runes are willing to help for the sake of the suikoverse.

About a plot if ever GS online will exist? What if Luc has resurrected and planned to destroy the world because he's bitter about failing to free humans from their destiny? Then he will cause chaos and havoc to reign in the world. Then all the nations go to war. As time passes by, the nations come to realize that there is an evil power among them that gives them hostility against all the nations in the world except their own. The evil force makes them feel an irrational degree of supremacy. Harmonia and the demi-human countries will suffer the longest from this evil power because from the start, they feel that they are superior unlike the other races or nations.

However, if you really want to measure your power throgh fighting other players, either a player-versus-player(PVP) arena may be made per nation or that the opportunity for it arises when players go to war with their opponent countries(i.e. in nation/guild/clan wars).

Personally, I really prefer to have a GS online game, and I would greatly appreciate it if this will ever be made.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

bah its sad... nobody likes my ideas :(
Yuki Tenkai

Post by Yuki Tenkai »

If it counts for anything, I think your ideas are better than mine, so that's why I'm not gonna say them. >.<
"And as for the the end of the World, you need not worry. No one should worry about such a thing right now..."
-Leknaat, Suikoden IV
Artificity

Post by Artificity »

I do like your idea of setting some level restrictions so that the higher level characters get the chance to actually go into enemy territory. It'd be silly for armies to send out squad after squad of fresh recruits only for them to get slaughtered one after the other. Which brings me to another idea...

Some "dungeons" and quests should also have min-max level restrictions so that you can't always get some uber-powered friend to help you with the dungeon at first go. You won't also try to powerlevel first because there may be some quests that you didn't take yet AND can't ever take again because you're too strong. I believe it'll force you to party up with other people of your own level and for others not to speed through the game and lose out on learning more about the Suikoverse in the process.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

son michael, it's not that no one likes your ideas, actually, it is very good... only that you may miss something important...

I agree with Artificity... online RPGs right now don't give way to uber-fast power-levelling of players. You must take a game step-by-step. It's too frustrating to miss out very good quests which have min-max level limits.
It encourages you to party up with people within your level range. Example, if you venture out to a dungeon which can accomodate your, say, level 42, character, then you are allowed to party up only with people who are, say, level 38 to level 46.
In going through an enemy territory, the party leader must make sure that they are strong enough to fight against monsters and hostile players there. Yes, it is silly for a, say, level 34, character to bring with him/her newbie recruits, say level 1-9, to an enemy territory, as these noobs are very certain to be easily slaughtered by hostile characters there.

Artificity's idea is very good, especially because suikoden adopted a quite easy exprience system where EXP is within 000-999. If you tend to level up so easily, then you may be too strong to know more about suikoverse like he said.
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

sorry for disapearing i was travelling

about the PvP it would be nice but, not amongst the people of your race.
like ninjaluc said it would be nice to use a arena so there you can clash swords with anyone whos itching to fight too

the battle system would be simple, you face an enemy, than click on him than atack, like all mmorpg does, if you use a bow, great, you atack from distance, but if you atack the enemy he imediately will atack you

the unites system...not a bad idea, but it would be very difficult to do, since you press the button to do de unite and sundelly a window appear on the window of the other player, and hes fightng a monster, and when his gonna click hes dead already and can't perform the unite

and about the war, why don't make it a clan war? you make a clan...then you chat with the other clan leader and tell him you want to war with him and hes clan, so you mark the hour, and then when the times comes, all the registered people by the leader are teleported to a open area, with hills and all things good for battle, a area not including on the map so nobody could interrupt, and when the last one is dead or when the leader chikens out and show the white flag you win and winnign the enemy loses exp and money, all the lost money by the enemy are distribuited to the participants and the leader gain a prize item, it would be nice too if there was a tornament, and the winner gets a big throphy to show

man i have so many ideas but i'm sleepy i continue later
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[=Gandalf=]
pesmerga786

Post by pesmerga786 »

wow
so many great ideas i can actually see the game in my head. I am serious konami should make an mmorpg and we should make a petition or something. These ideas are very good!!!!
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

ow, how are you guys there?

I ran out of ideas, so I haven't posted anything for a week now.

For the whole week I kept on analyzing what could be the maximum damage a player could inflict if this would come out.

Let's have the following assumptions:

If the player has 200 STR and has a lvl 16 weapon with 160 atk power, then that makes 360, he has 150 PDF, 150 MDF and 250 DEF including equips, and he has a fury rune(+0.5x damage), violence rune(+2x dmg)
and double strike rune(+1x dmg taken and inflicted), and a rage rune on weapon(+0.5x damage). He has resistance to earth, wind, and fire.

An enemy has , for example 400 ATK, 110 DEF, and 100 MDF, and an earth attack inflicting 300 dmg.

Cast Clay Guardian(1.5x PDF and MDF) to reduce the damage on him(that will make 325 DEF and 225 MDF)

Then it would be:

Player will inflict about (360-110)*(1+0.5+2+1+0.5)=250*5=
1250 damage per hit (625 if he has a dual type weapon(like Riou's)).
Enemy will just inflict 75*2= 150 PDMG and (75*2)/2= 150 MDMG

This means, you can kill a monster outright with the equip runes before he can dish out strong attacks on you, since your HP is quite lower compared to other online RPGs, and your magic is too limited because you can only cast up to four spells per rune, and there are four MP levels.

Post by mhatter106 »

[quote="Pearl"]I wish Konami would make this kind of game and then...ooopsss...there goes my social life....again (after FF Online).quote]

Yeah, as cool as a Suikoden MMORPG would be, that **** would be the death of me. I vanished from the face of the earth when FFXI came out and it felt like it took a pseudo-intervention to get me to quit playing.

A Suikoden MMORPG would give Nicotine a run for its money on the title of "the most addictive substance known to man (gram for gram)."