Suikoden MMORPG

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Re: Suikoden MMORPG

Post by Oppenheimer »

Hirathien wrote:Star Wars: The Old Republic is anticipated to be a big seller, so I doubt it.
Their budget is huge and so it has to be as profitable as WOW in order to succeed. It's a huge risk. No one has unseated WOW since it started. Lord of the Rings was supposed to be good too.

Here's a couple interesting perspectives you might want to read as well:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/11/07 ... ver-be-pr/

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... re-of-MMOs
Mikain Clan King

Post by Mikain Clan King »

I always figured retailers buy the games, amount depending on how anticipated it is...sure the fans buy them but if there isn't that many fans there is no need for the retailers to order more, thus no point in progressing with the series due to the lack of profit. Sadly a Suikoden MMO wouldn't sell at first, and it would probably suck (sadly) so it would never launch off and become successful.
"The duel with Genkaku.... It continues here....."
-Han Cunningham

"This is your final test... Can you win this time, Riou?"
-Leon Silverburg
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

I have yet to read all the posts in this thread, but here are my thoughts:

I was thinking guilds would have a max of 108 members, then the guildmaster holds a True Rune, usable but only to a small extent based on level or something with a hella long cooldown because spamming True Rune = major exhaustion. Guilds fight over True Runes in different regions and stuffs. Obviously, the True Runes available would be the elementals, and then some others.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

From what I saw in the video that was posted here, the reason why F2Ps (free to play), or even P2Ps (pay to play) fail is money, although F2Ps are the most likely to fail.

Ragnarok Online for example, still has old veteran players in there. With the WRO championships still going on, it will definitely live longer, only that they are overshadowed by newer and newer F2Ps, which would probably fail like 75% of the time.

World of Warcraft is VERY popular because: NO GRINDING, MAX LEVEL AT 25 ONLY! JUST PURE PvP! Not much monsters to slay!

So, should one make an MMO, why not make it a dungeon master type of game? Or pit the Suikoden heroes against each other? To see who really is the strongest Tenkai, perhaps?
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
Mikain Clan King

ninjaluc79 wrote: World of Warcraft is VERY popular because: NO GRINDING, MAX LEVEL AT 25 ONLY! JUST PURE PvP! Not much monsters to slay!
I don't get it.
-Han Cunningham

-Leon Silverburg
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Or did i mean Defense of the Ancients?
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

World of Warcraft current max level is 85, the grinding is there, tons of PvP and PvE (player versus Enviroment)

DotA I have no idea of.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_of_the_Ancients

Hope this helps. But clearly, DoTA /= WoW.
Templeton
Banned User

Post by Templeton »

I'm all open for such an idea to make an interactive world centred on Suikoden.

Till then you have the Online Internet Suikoden World.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

True Griever wrote:I like the idea, but I would consider making the hp up to 9999, cuz magic spells can be around 2000 already. With affinities it could be higher.
I have recently designed an HP and MP system based from your suggestion:

Rank / Initial HP / Initial MP / Final HP / Final MP
1 / 55 / 35 / 5445 / 348
2 / 60 / 38 / 5940 / 665
3 / 65 / 41 / 6435 / 982
4 / 70 / 44 / 6930 / 1299
5 / 75 / 48 / 7425 / 1616
6 / 80 / 51 / 7920 / 1932
7 / 85 / 54 / 8415 / 2249
8 / 90 / 57 / 8910 / 2566
9 / 95 / 60 / 9405 / 2883

MP is calculated as follows:

3.2 * (MAG stat + 10)

Note that HP is a different stat from PDEF, and therefore has a separate calculation.

HP growth per level = (10 + HP rank + variance factor) * 5
Variance factor is a random number between -1 and +1. (e.g -0.577, 0.414)
Which means for HP rank 1, the HP growth per level is between 50 - 60.

I actually had trouble with MP right now since it can't be greater than four digits and that a lot of MP even for the lowest rank means that anyone could spam their spells forever.

Level 1 spells cost 32 MP.
Level 2 spells cost 64 MP.
Level 3 spells cost 128 MP.
Level 4 spells cost 256 MP.
Rune Unite Spells done by one person will cost him 512 MP.
Rune Unite Spells done by two persons will cost them 256 MP EACH.

Passive skills which increase primary stats will increase the wearer's PRIMARY STAT RANK instead of simply adding X to a stat. Also, some late-level equipments increase STAT RANKS instead of just stats.

It's like this: An equipment with a STR rank + 1 attribute will add 98 stat points more than one with just plain STR + 1.
Mikain Clan King

Ha, do we have any experienced programmers on here with time to spare? You could make a very small, alpha staged game just to get it running and expand from there. You could have like 1 playable class and race with very limited (if any) abilities just to get it running....it could just turn out to be a virtual chat room for Suikosource members.
-Han Cunningham

-Leon Silverburg
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Well, I'm thinking something like a Dungeon Master so that we can see how do our builds fare inside Mission instances, as well against bosses
It would be fun to have a function wherein you can challenge NPCs such as the Suikoden heroes and/or their allies, say as part of changing your job class. Say for example, if you're a Dunan Wanderer and want to become a job class known as 'Champion', you must defeat Riou's trio before advancing. Also, you can recruit any Suikoden character to help you in some quests for some payment or anything like that.

And since an S5-like stat system is going to be run, conversions to this stat system is necessary.

For example:

Level 40 Tir McDohl (Toran NPC)

STR 240
DEF 240
MAG 280
MDF 240
TEC 280
SPD 200
LUC 240
HP 3000
MP 928

Level 40 Riou (Dunan NPC)

STR 240
DEF 160
MAG 200
MDF 200
TEC 280
SPD 240
LUC 280
HP 3000
MP 672

Note that they have more stats than player characters since they are NPCs.

Player characters are meant to be balanced, otherwise it would be broken.
The Director

Post by The Director »

I kind of thought that a good MMORPG of Suikoden would centre around aquiring power/True Runes, and then using that to aquire even more, the eventual goal being that one person gets every True Rune.

So there would be different types of power.

True Runes, Government and Guild.

Guilds would aquire there power through selling services, money basically, and having unique skills e.g. Howling Voice Guild

Government, self explanatory.

The True Runes could act differently depending upon the bearers preference and rune.
Potentially it could either be like Suikoden games (gathering allies to you because you have true rune) or you could just keep an exceptionally low profile like other True Rune bearers.

Of course those are only gameplay mechanics, a Suikoden MMO would REQUIRE a good story/main mission. Otherwise it wouldn't be Suikoden.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Except that if player characters CAN acquire True Runes, it would be very imbalanced since only a few people can get them.

And it's not like these player TR bearers would be willing to give them up easily.
Mikain Clan King

ninjaluc79 wrote:Except that if player characters CAN acquire True Runes, it would be very imbalanced since only a few people can get them.

And it's not like these player TR bearers would be willing to give them up easily.
Actually that could be a very fun aspect of PvP, give some people an advantage (TR bearers) but then if they die it is passed onto the killer. Players could become very notorious....now I really want something like that....branching classes is a must too.
-Han Cunningham

-Leon Silverburg