Suikoden MMORPG

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
LetsThink

Post by LetsThink »

Here are some suggestions I'd like to shoot out there...

Story: It would take place after the major storyline as some people said. I'd say about 10 years after the "great war" when most things are revealed and resolved. Also, after the final offline game 24 or 26 True Runes (26 works better for my idea) will be known to the public. Okay, so that is the history that would be presented to you right when you load up "Suikoden Online" or whatever it would be called. The Suikoden world's situation would be explained next, something like: Today, the kingdoms that have made pacts and alliances in the past wars have split ways. Each one now seeks eagerly for the last True Rune, conquering the land as they search for it... or something like that. Then some ominous voice would be like "Who's side will you be on? Whom will you help search for the last True Rune?? Whoooo?" After that whole cut scene, you have to install some files for 3 hours... ... ... and finally you can create your character.

Character Creation (CC): I like Gungnir's idea of picking weapons, which determines class in a way. First option for CC would be race (human, elf, kobold, winged horde, dwarf, vampires [maybe], ducks [later], nay-kobolds [later], and lizards [later], any others?).
Humans: I'm guessing this will be the most picked race so this race will have average stats, no specialties.
Elf: Higher ranged accuracy at the start of game, some type of bow-proficiency I guess, specialty would be something like no detection from monsters in forest-type dungeons... or something.
Kobold: Higher strength at the start of game, I guess you can give these guys faster movement speed...
Winged Horde: Probably the second most popular choice they'd be able to float a little off the ground, which doesn't help anything it's just for style. Because of this, average stats and no specialties.
Dwarfs: Highest defense at start, don't start them with a Firefly rune but they should have something that would help them tank. Specialty would be Dig (allows them to escape from dungeon, only them not party).
I don't know about vamps, and ducks/lizards/nay-kobolds would be in expansions. I gave some races specialties because I felt they'd be less popular with players; giving them specialties make them more attractive.

After race, design your character (face, build, gender, height). Next, you'd pick your weapon. I guess some races can only wield a certain weapon so...
Human: 1-Handed Sword, Fists (Knuckles), Knife, Crossbow, Axe, Staff, Wand, Shields, [Great Swords, Guns, Claws, Throwing Knives (includes specialty weapons like cards and chakrams), Great Axe, Magic Rings]
Elf: Bow, Crossbow, 1-Handed Sword, Staff, Knife [Guns, Throwing Knives, Magic Rings]
Kobold: 1-Handed Sword, Fists, Axe, Shields, [Great Swords, Great Axe]
Winged Horde: Spear, 1-Handed Sword, Knife, Wand [Scythe, Throwing Knives, Magic Rings]
Dwarfs: Hammer, Axe, Shields [Shovel.., Great Axe]
The weapons at the end that are bracketed won't be initial choices; they need to be earned someway. Ex: Gun would have something to do with the HVG obviously. There's a weapon system, explained later, but the weapon you pick you'll have to stick with for awhile. It'd be nice if you could design lv.1 weapon, but with not a lot of options at first. Maybe something like the color of the handle of the sword, or something...
After weapon choice, pick a side. For the first version I'd say it is either: Dunan/Toran or Jowston/Highland. I like Jowston/Highland more because it allows us to explore Dunan first; Toran and Harmonia would be available soon after in the first expansion.
Pick either Jowston or Highland, then enter name and server, and from your combined choices you will be placed in a certain town. Ex: You choose Winged Horde >> Spear >> Jowston. You're most likely going to start in Two Rivers.

Class System: Your job will be tied with the weapon you choose. At the beginning your job will be something like "Commoner." You don't choose a job though, you apply at certain places. Two types of jobs: Fighting and Craft, although Craft jobs can fight too. Ok, example would be like: I'm a Dwarf; I picked hammer, and Jowston. This choice threw me in Tinto I guess, which gives me access to the Blacksmith (Craft type) job at the start. I go to the blacksmith place, apply, NPC sees I'm using hammer, I'm now a Blacksmith. Blacksmith wouldn't offer anything special to fighting, but you would be able to raise other people’s weapon level, and you'd charge them for it making this job very profitable. At levels 1-9, I would only be able to raise someone’s weapon to Lv.3, which is the same as an NPC would be able to do. When I hit level 10, I'd talk to the NPC who gave me the job, if he sees that I've used my skill to improve enough weapons he'll tell me to do a quest (probably involving the Iron Hammer or something). When I complete the quest I can raise weapons to Lv. 7 (NPC's would only be able to raise a weapon to Lv. 3 and no higher). As I level up (through xp), I can do more hammer quests until I can raise weapon level to max (Lv.16). It would probably break down like this: CharacterLevel/LevelYouCanRaiseSomeonesWeaponTo: Lv1/Lv3, Lv10/Lv7, Lv25/Lv11, Lv40/Lv15, Lv60/Lv16.

Fighting Jobs wouldn't be able to craft, but they'd get better stats and skills for battle. Ex: I pick Human >> 1-Handed Sword >> Highland, I end up in Sajah... After a little leveling and after buying a shield, I travel to Higheast, and apply to be a knight, NPC sees I have sword/shield, accepted I become Knight. Unlike how crafts get better as you use them, jobs like knights go up in the rankings. So start off as knight, you might end up as King. Or if someone is already King, he hears things from server and forums that you're a good knight. He picks you to be his personal bodyguard. (This might sound confusing without knowing about the Kingdom/Endgame thing I was thinking about.) I don't know how their stats and skills would be, I don't want to take much from other mmorpgs, but Knights would be doing a lot of fighting and defending their territories.

Weapon System: I should explain this before going on. Ok, like I said the weapon you pick at first is the weapon you stick with, but you can switch. Your weapon's power, appearance, and name will change as you take it to a blacksmith. (Appearance/name change at Lv4, Lv9, Lv11, and Lv16, I’m not sure though) When your weapon hits Lv.4, window pops up allowing you to add prefixes or suffixes I guess, chosen from a list. Ex:
Lv4 1-hand Sword, choose prefix: Rusty, Dull, Iron. Choose suffix: Sword, Broad Sword, and Scimitar. After name is chosen, you're allowed to change its appearance. At first you were only allowed to change the color of the handle of the sword, when you hit Lv.4 you can change the shape of the blade a little bit. Every time your character levels up (Exp), you get 1 weapon point. Every time you upgrade your weapon using a Blacksmith, you lose 1weapon point. At character level 60 you'd have 60 weapon points. Theoretically, you can have a max weapon at character level 16, leaving you with 44 weapon points at level 60. This is when you'd want to switch weapons, and do weapon quests. Say I'm a level 60 dwarf with a level 16 hammer, and I want to switch to axe. Axe is not an advanced weapon so I don't have to do a quest for it, I'd probably just have to buy one or find one or something. I switch from my lv16hammer to lvl1axe. Since I have 44 points, I can just spend 16 of em and get a blacksmith to raise my axe to 16. Also, since I switched to axe, my job is now Commoner and I can't smith my own or anybody else’s weapons. But now, I can get a second job. Imaginations fading so I'll say barbarian a fighter type job. With this system, a level 60 character can possibly have 4 different jobs, 3 weapons at 16, and 1 weapon at 12. Leveling up is not the only way to get weapon points, but it would definitely be the easiest. Getting weapon points from quests should be ultra hard (As hard as getting the final upgrade for a Relic Weapon, for the FFXI players out there). Yeah, this limits how many jobs and weapons each character can use, but I like that. Makes each character unique.

Battle System: I'm having a hard time figuring out how this would work. I think Real Time would work better than turn based, and yeah M would be obsolete. Six man parties. Magic Rune system would still be 1/2/3/4, but it has be more in each slot. At level 60 it'd probably be: 50/37/20/8.... Yeah or something like that. Regaining the MP I was thinking something like this: You hit a "rest" button, then over time you'd regain 1 point for each level... um it'd go something like this: Hit "rest" button, (once rest effect starts) after 3 second you regain 1 point to Lv1, after 6 seconds you regain 1 point to Lv1 and Lv2, after 12 seconds you regain 1 point to Lv1and Lv3, after 24 seconds you regain 1 point to Lv1, Lv2, and Lv4. Okay, so say you used up all spells leaving you at
0/0/0/0 3second 1/0/0/0, 6seconds 2/1/0/0, 12 seconds 3/1/1/0, 24seconds 4/2/1/1, 27seconds 5/2/1/1, 33seconds 6/3/2/1, 45seconds 7/3/2/1, 1min9seconds 8/4/2/2. You can also restore MP by staying at Inns, or eating mushrooms I guess. Magic Unites (like lv4 mother earth + lv4 rage = scorching earth) I'd think would work like skill chains from ffxi: Rage user uses spell, 3 seconds after (time it right) Mother Earth user spell goes off, created a burst of added damage with an added animation (dragon flying away.. or something)
Physical Unites: Hmm... Maybe something like if you hit the monster enough, your unite gauge goes up (sort of like TP from ffxi...), when two people fill their gauges, they can hit Unite Attack. Ex: if two one-handed sword users hit the Unite Attack they both do an X-type dash at the enemy that does like 1.5 damage, other unites would do other things like paralyze, or hit enemies within range... or something. Oh, btw I like lv60 as cap because lv99 seems too powerful... Anyway, on to 1on1 duels. I say these are coliseum type things, mainly for entertainment, bragging rights, decide who's better, and people can bet on the duels. Rules of battle would be different, I don't know if the duels should be Real Time. Finally, the War Battles, which leads me to end game.

End Game/Conquest/PvP: Okay the main thing about this game is the search for the final True Rune. Okay, lets say someone does claim the True Rune, he becomes a knight, rises through the ranks, becomes King, the place where he becomes King (lets say it’s Higheast) is the HQ of the true rune and his army. This player has a huge ego, and he should. He has the true rune and is the king and leader of an army. The players who like him join his cause, or the King offers money to people who will join his army. His kingdom has an Lv60 Blacksmith, an Lv60 Chef, A Blink Mage, etc...(Whom he'd have to pay to keep their services, or they can choose to leave) his army and Higheast are praised as the greatest place on that server. People who are interested in "Suikoden Online" hear about this server, and choose to align with Highland during the Character Creation part, because of the great place the True Rune bearer has made. Okay, yeah this true rune guy is praised, but not by everyone. A lot of players might be jealous, so they form alliances, and create a rebel army, and choose one of the Jowston towns as their HQ. They don't have many resources, but they can do small raids on the places the Highland faction owns. There is no real tactician, but smart people can call themselves tacticians if they know how to strategize. Rebel army people might hear about this self proclaimed Tactician from forums, and asks for his help to crush the Highland army for no reason.
This is conquest basically, attack the towns, if you win or if no one is guarding the town, then its under your Factions control, which allows you to move around more safely, and limits where the other Faction can go safely. Fighting should take place right outside town, so it doesn’t mess with the people inside towns. People who don't like to participate will have a way so they don’t get attacked.
Okay, when the Rebel Army feels ready they march to Higheast. Anyone in Higheast when rebels attack must defend the town. Say the Rebels make it to the Kings Room. Only a party of six are allowed to enter, in the room are six of the Kings best bodyguards, who he picked by reading the forums. The two 6man parties fight, if people are alive from the Rebel army, they can now attack the King. The person who lands the final blow on the King obtains the True Rune. This is how end game would work... not completely, but that would be the competition aspect. If the King is not logged on during a raid, the true rune will be on a pedestal. Instead of killing the King, once the six rebels beat the six bodyguards, the first one to click the pedestal gets the rune. Betrayal is always a factor in suikoden games, so yeah the bodyguards don’t have to try to help the king or whatever... (If Higheast is empty because no one is logged on to guard it, then the Rebels will have it easy wont they?)

Plenty of stuff has been left untouched, but yeah I need to get some essay done...

Just suggestions, I'm not making any suikoden online game.

Oh, and for the First Expansion: Toran introduced, Harmonia introduced, Ninjas now avaialable (since Rokkaku will be accessible), Gunners now available (since the HVG will be accessible), Skill point system available at Lv60(Suikoden3 system, not Tactics or 5), more runes.... etc...

Second Expansion: Grasslands.. Ducks, Lizards playable, Able to travel to Island Nations.. (This is a lot of land, I dont know how conquests would work after this...)
Lurker1

Post by Lurker1 »

Personally I hope they never make a MMORPG out of this game.

I've played all of them and they have become so static and boring and alike that it makes me sick, and some of the people that you encounter in those games :roll: ugg you know the PL$$T badrunetrueruneman and those who bought their true rune character on ebay. Then there are others will run scams or go around playing Luca Blights and randomly killing people.

No thank you, not for me but ofcourse it will most likely happen one day *shrugs* blizzard proved there is a market for it and I'm sure Konami will one day follow in their footsteps.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

I agree... I don't like it when people use MONEY for items on some stupid game. It is ridiculous
Queens Knight

Post by Queens Knight »

I think that if Konami did it right, a Suiko based MMORPG could be a fun experience, but if it wasn't done good or even if it was done ok, i think it could kill the Suikoden games.

Here are my thoughts on some of the character classes they could have.

Short range fighter classes:
Knight- Great defense, decent offense, protects other party members from harm. Has one rune slot and is not very profiecent in magic runes, has good skill rune affinity.

Warrior- Best physical figther in the game, great offense more then makes up for poor defense. Has one rune slot, worst affinity with magic runes , excellent affinity with skill runes.

Rune Warrior- Balanced in defense, offense and magic. Has two rune slots, has a good affinity for magic runes and skill runes, can not equip the higher tier ie; Rage rune, Flowing rune etc.

Dragon Knight- A knight that has a close affinity for dragon's, better offense then a Knight but not as good as a warriors, also gives up defense. Has one rune slot, good affinity with magic and skill runes.
Has a pet dragon, as you grow in lv, your dragon gets stronger too.

Ninja/Assasain- Master of the shadows, attacks quickly and has great speed making it hard for enemies to hit, poor defense and decent offense. Has two rune slots, poor affinity with magic runes, good affinity with skill runes.

Long range fighters classes:
Archer- Uses a bow or some type of projectile to attack enemies from a distance, has poor defense and good offense, can attack an enemy several times before it reaches them. Has two rune slots, good affinity for magic and skill runes.

Gunner- Specilizes in using a gun, attack power is much higher then an archer, but takes more time to reload, excels at dealing critical hits. Has one rune slot, poor affinity with magic runes, great affinity with skill runes.

Magic user classes:
Rune Mage- The best magic user, has extremly poor offense and bad defense, has massive amounts of mp. Has three rune slots, the highest affinity for magic runes and can use the higher tier runes at higher lv's, worst skill rune affinity.

Rune Archer- Has the same defense as an archer, but poorer offense, makes up for it in being the only fighting and semi-fighting class that can equip up to three runes. Three runes slots, has highest affinty besides Rune Mage in magic runes, decent affinity in skill runes.

Priest- Essentially the same as a Rune Mage, only difference is that the Priest has a higher affinity for healing runes and is the only class that can use the ressurection rune, higher defense and offense then a Rune Mage but still not very good. Has three rune slots, highest affinity with healing runes, high affinity for attack runes, and poor affinity for skill runes, can only use higher tier flowing rune, can't use rage, thunder etc.

Summoner- Only class that can use the blinking and pale gate runes, worst defense of all classes and only slightly better offense then a rune mage.
Can use the pale gate rune to summon monsters to fight by his side for a short time. Blinking rune allows him/her to teleport enemies away, good to use when you are being swarmed by lots of enemies, has a chance to fail. Has three rune slots, head slot is taken up by pale gate rune automatically, can use higher tier magic runes, but at higher lv's then a Rune Mage.

You can change your class in game, some of these classes are not avaliable right away, you may have to do a certain quest or obtain an item to get those classes.
At certain lv's each class gets an increase in an affinity for runes, depending on your class, some may go up more then others ie; Warrior will have affinity for skill runes go up a lot more then magic runes.
Also gain skill and traits at certain lv's like Gunner at lv 20 will get Critical hit +15% and Rune Mage's at lv 40 can use the higher tier'd magic runes like rage.

Party's can consist of up to 6 people. As with the Suikoden games, lv 60 is the last lv you hit before your stats increase more slowly.

There should be a choice of nations to choose from as well as a choice of race. Some races excel in some areas, while others excel in others, ie; Lizard clan have the highest attack power, high defense and hp, but are slow to attack and poor speed and have poorer affinity with any type of rune compared to humans.
It's doubtful that Konami will be able to allow you to choose from all the races in Suiko world, but the ones that they don't allow you to be, they should still be featured in the game.

For gameplay and plot its hard to say what would be good, i would have to say that it might be best to set it somewhere we have not been, or maybe in the past or future or just has nothing to do with the Suiko world we know.
In either case, i think the True Runes should play an intrical part in the story and plot, i don't think your character should be able to wield one cause if you could, there would be just a thousand people running around with one of the "27 True Runes".

As for the SoD, it would be next to impossible to incorperate that into a MMORPG, maybe the best thing i could see them doing is making the 108 SoD NPC's and many of them play intrical parts in the story and let you advance it along. The SoD don't all have to be on one side, like Suiko 3, some of the stars could work for this nation and others this one, and some could just be loners.

For equipment and runes, depending on the class you choose, you will only be able to equip certain equipment and runes, and only the preist, rune mage and summoner starts out with a rune.
Also i think the Blacksmith system would be a good idea, when you choose your character, you can choose up to two weapons (choice of weapons will depend on class) that you will use for that character and class, your first choice would be your default weapon, your second choice you can switch to anytime, and if later in the game you want a different weapon to use with that class, you can sub that weapon for a different one, but you would have to lv that weapon up from lv 1.

The way you lv up your weapons, im thinking maybe you can pay and gather materials by doing quests to lv up your weapon.
Like if i wanted to lv it up to lv 5, i would pay a certain amount to lv it up from 1 to 2, and 2 to 3, but to get my weapon to lv 4, i would have to do a quest to get items and materials for the blacksmith to use to upgrade my weapon, once i gather the materials i give them to the BS and pay for the upgrade. Each blacksmith quest though is dependant on your lv, so at the lv 4 blacksmith upgrade quest, you have to be at least lv 10, and the lv 8 you have to be at least lv 25.
With each quest upgrade your weapon will change appearence and the name will change as well. So at lv's 4, 8, 11, 14 and 16 your weapon will change in its look and name.

For mp, i think they could keep the way they gauge the mp in Suikoden games, you can only use lower spells at a lower lv, but as you gain in lv's you will gain mp in lower lv magic and gain new mp slots in higher lv magic. The only way to regain magic is by resting (sitting down, laying down) in dungeons or resting in towns, the higher your magic stat is, the quicker you regain your mp slots. Of course they could always just use a regualr mp system.

Those are just some of my ideas for a MMORPG, feel free to call me stupid and lash out at me :P
killbot1000

Well....

Post by killbot1000 »

Well, Im not a big fan of MMORPGs, they focus way to much on combat which is one of the crappiest parts of RPGs anyway, but if they wanted to do it right, they could do it like guild wars (towns have other players, but you go through a continuous story with voice overs and everything). It would be cool i guess but it would also be lame...MMOs are never memorable games like the classics (suikoden, xenogears, chrono trigger, final fantasy). Whos going to remember everquest II, or Final fantasy XI in 10 years? nobody...
EDIT by Red Killy: Please read the rules regarding Avatar. Removed due to breaching the rules.
wolfi

Post by wolfi »

while the idea sounds like fun it isnt probly going to be so.

suikoden is about story and charracters. In a mmorpg Its almoast impossible to tell a really good story since all of the players on the server has to get or be involved in it.

i addition to that the uniqe charracters is also what makes the suiko games great. In a game with thousands of players the uniqness of each character would be very small and thus take away a very important aspect of the suikoden game.. unless they made thousands of amors and wepons haircuts and that alike.... but that would be too difficult

unless they made the max poulation of a server 108 ;)
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

That could work because some online games only allow a certain amount of people to be on the server per game/map/mod etc. But the game itself is a larger community. So if there were 108 stars of destiny per server, plus non-SoD's and enemies on that server, creating about 140 people per server altogether, it would work well.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
wolfi

Post by wolfi »

i dont think that 108 people per server would pay off very well, sounds like a money drain project... with thousands of player playing you would need lots of servers and what if a sever didnt fill up, it would be kinda boring beeing one of those 60 guys who got stuck on a "deserted" server..
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

I have other suggestions for jobs:

Thief- Teh perfect potch maker! Equip that Technique Rune in his/her weapon and he/she'll own the enemy for additional potch! Attacks fast, has two rune slots, low rune affinity but good skill rune affinity.

Martial Artist- Unleashes the power of his chosen weapon. Can equip a bo stick, tonfar, 3-piece rod, or kunckles. High HP but low defense. High affinity to both magic and skill runes, and has more MP than the other melee characters.

Trickster- Activates a robot(like erm... that of Meg's in GS2?) to aid him/her in battle. As the character gets stronger, the machine also gets stronger. Ranged, but not as skilled as an archer is, better defense than the archer.

Beastmaster- Has a pet with him/her to fight by his/her side.

Bard- Can use the Jongleur Rune to boost his/her comrades' battle ability.

Vampire Hunter- Can use the Resurrection Rune to vanquish the undead.
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
Flik0122

Post by Flik0122 »

If they made a Suikoden online I dont think being an SoD would be a good idea because there could only be one set of SoDs at one time, 108 ppl per server wouldnt work very well...

The idea ive always had was that you either are a common swordsman or whatever OR you could work as a common soldier in the army of your choice being either; Toran, Dunan(lets just call it Orange for the sake of it being the default choice), Viktors Mercinaries, Zexan, Grasslands, Island Nation, Felena.

As for that lets use an example if you joined Viktors Mercenaries you would take orders from Flik and Viktor doing missions and Quests for them and what not working up your ranks and lets say every now and then some outside nation wants to take over Muse... when your rank is high enough you could go out to defend Muse in the small battles and make a name for yourself (Depending on your kill count some NPCs may mention you).

If you choose to be a common swordsman/adventurer you can just travel the world taking up jobs and doing quests from diffrent persons we know from previous Suikodens (I , II , III, V cause we will say the game takes place a year or 2 after Suikoden III)

No one could be a true rune bearer because there would be too much player conflict, so the ppl we know who have the true runes will have them and we can say that some missions/quests they join you as a 'guest member' and we can see the True Runes in action that way..

As for making a Common swordsman, you could join up in any army for any 'minor conflict' at anytime as long as one is going on somewhere in our Suikoden world and make a small bounty for your work..

I could go into more but I dont feel like boring anyone, but these are just my ideas for what a Suikoden online should be.
" Looks like your path to success just took a detour! " - Flik, Suikoden II
[ H4L ] Nathan

Post by [ H4L ] Nathan »

Can you honestly imagine a guy playing the stratergist and some loser not listening and going out and fighting all by himself, or if the stratergist sucked hardcore.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

IMO, some nations which could be considerable choices are:

-Toran Republic (under either Sheena or McDohl's son)
-Dunan Alliance (Viktor's Mercs included here)
-The Grasslands (under the Karayan Chief Hugo)
-The Holy Kingdom of Harmonia (under the High Priest Hikusaak)
-The Island Nations (under the King of Obel)
-The Queendom of Falena (under, well, the Queen of Falena)
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
Trigon

Post by Trigon »

hugoflamechamp

Post by hugoflamechamp »

Interesting link, Trigon. Although, I'd hope that if Suikoden ever went MMO, it'd be a little more high tech than that. ;)
Suikodenfan130

Post by Suikodenfan130 »

I like the idea of the rpg but i am just curious about the duel system. I dont really think that it could be kept the same since you are playing agianst other players and obviously a warrior would have the adavantage of lets say a mage so how would you change the duel system to work in thsi rpg