Suikoden I&II, Japan exclusive?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Kimimi wrote:Why would PSP gamers flock to Suikoden? When there are more familiar and let's face it, "flashy" RPGs on the horizon?

Its called taking a risk, sometimes in order to expand the market companies take chances
Taking risks got Sega where they are today :?
I agree with Kimimi on this. Simply because you feel strongly about the potential sucess of S1&II on the PSP doesn't mean that Konami(US) does. I think you're being blinded by your personal feelings for Suikoden rather than thinking about this in the same manner as Konami. You seem so adamant about this as if Suikoden is so popular than everyone is clamoring for it. The only reason most people would even bother buying it is for a chance to play Suikoden II due to it's rarity, Suikoden 1 would just be a bonus to most but not a necessity. Like I said earlier, this would not make or break the Suikoden series, it would just be a nice thing to have. If people were so desperate to experience Suikoden, like you think, then I believe theyw ould get what's available to them(S3, S4, soon to be Rhapsodia, and the S3 manga) rather than just waiting for a re-release of Suikoden 1 and 2.
I hope everything is going delicious.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

Angelis_Taleria wrote:
Kimimi wrote:Why would PSP gamers flock to Suikoden? When there are more familiar and let's face it, "flashy" RPGs on the horizon?

Its called taking a risk, sometimes in order to expand the market companies take chances
I agree with Kimimi on this. Simply because you feel strongly about the potential sucess of S1&II on the PSP doesn't mean that Konami(US) does. I think you're being blinded by your personal feelings for Suikoden rather than thinking about this in the same manner as Konami. You seem so adamant about this as if Suikoden is so popular than everyone is clamoring for it. The only reason most people would even bother buying it is for a chance to play Suikoden II due to it's rarity, Suikoden 1 would just be a bonus to most but not a necessity. Like I said earlier, this would not make or break the Suikoden series, it would just be a nice thing to have. If people were so desperate to experience Suikoden, like you think, then I believe theyw ould get what's available to them(S3, S4, soon to be Rhapsodia, and the S3 manga) rather than just waiting for a re-release of Suikoden 1 and 2.

Im not being blinded by my personal feelings for suikoden, I own suikoden 1 and 2 so why would I care? I really feel like re releasing suikoden 1 and 2 would get more of the current rpg fans into the suikoden story and that would generate interest in all the past installments. You say"why dont they just go and buy the games if they love it so much?" its because most people dont know suikoden even exist! I had no clue what the hell suikoden 3 was until my friend introduced me to it and let me borrow it , he told me there were 2 other games on the original playstation and that peeked my interest, after I played 3, I was HOOKED on the suikoden story and I absolutley had to get the first 2 no matter what the cost, not only did I get those 2 but I also bought the game I borrowed {suikoden 3} and I bought 4 and I looked into the gaidens and Ill buy any game with the suikoden title in it PERIOD NO QUESTIONS ASKED!

this is how much suikoden brainwashed me and I didnt even get that way from playing suikoden 2! most people who played 4 in the states have no idea about the main story of the 27 true runes, the returning characters, the mystery characters ect ect, if they knew all of that then they would be more interested in 4 since they could get to see jeane and viki again and a new true rune revealed! if they played any 1 of the 3 previous games then they would know all of that and get hooked onto the series

thats what I think would happen if konami re released 1 and 2 or at least picked up on the advertising for future games

taking risks got nintendo where they are today{greatest gaming company on earth}
Black Knight Yuber

Post by Black Knight Yuber »

son_michael wrote:taking risks got nintendo where they are today{greatest gaming company on earth}
Last I checked Nintendo (Gamecube) was still in business. It might be as popular as PS2 or X-Box, but it's Nintendo none the less.
Duke

Post by Duke »

sega gave all its rights to game cube i thought.. also nitendos coming with a portable gamecube like ps came out with the psp.

sega the good old days games will never be the same
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

Black Knight Yuber wrote:
son_michael wrote:taking risks got nintendo where they are today{greatest gaming company on earth}
Last I checked Nintendo (Gamecube) was still in business. It might be as popular as PS2 or X-Box, but it's Nintendo none the less.
I wasnt putting down nintendo, it was to show that taking risks could also be a good thing because nintendo has been taken risks since the beginning in 1985{releasing the nes was a big risk} and all there risks have paid off!
Black Knight Yuber

Post by Black Knight Yuber »

I figured that you gave the confused look about Sega, and referring it to Nintendo. You didn't that was some other person. Saying, "taking risks can be a good thing." Nintendo did pull through (after the crash in 84.)
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

son_michael wrote:Im not being blinded by my personal feelings for suikoden
Yes, you are. Especially when you said the following
son_michael wrote:Ill buy any game with the suikoden title in it PERIOD NO QUESTIONS ASKED!
That's why you think releasing S1 and S2 on PSP in US would be a success to. You just have to realize that not everyone is like you. Even if they play S1 and S2 in PSP, that doesn't necessarily mean that they're going to like Suikoden series and be a fan like you.
son_michael wrote:most people who played 4 in the states have no idea about the main story of the 27 true runes, the returning characters, the mystery characters ect ect,
No offense here, but how stupid can people be? Clearly, they play Suikoden 4 ... that means that there are Suikoden 1, 2, 3 before that. If they are interested, then they'd try to find out. If they don't try to find out, then Suikoden isn't just that interesting to them. Hence, leading to the decision by Konami to not release PSP version of S1 and S2 in USA.
son_michael wrote: taking risks got nintendo where they are today{greatest gaming company on earth}
Well think about it this way, taking a risk can make or break something. Konami US simply think that it's not worth the risk. What you, or other fans (including myself), think doesn't matter to them. It's their business, it's their money.

So yeah, while I personally would love an English S1 and S2 on PSP to be released, I fully understand why they're not.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
Darkillumina

Post by Darkillumina »

I remain neutral on this subject at the moment because the details are much to scarce to pass judgement.

If I discover that the re-release has a LARGE variety of New Features I would feel slightly shafted by Konami but still I own the ps1 versions so it wouldn't be that bad.

On the other hand if it turns out to be a direct port, or just has one or two tiny tweaks I wouldn't want to waste money on two games I already have.

The best thing we can do is wait and see what Konami plan's to do. If Rhapsodia and V sell well here in North America then it's fair to say that they would release 1+2 on the PsP here as well. No use crying over spilt milk, especially milk thats thousands of miles away =)
Beware my power, because my might may not be on the side of right.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

Well red killey, the people who bought suikoden 4 are probably smart enough to realize there was 3 previous installments but they wouldnt know that jeane and viki and leknaut were in the previous games and as such they wouldnt know about the huge mystery with jeane and viki, theres only 1 true rune mentioned and I dont think suikoden 4 even talks about the 27 true runes unless theres an old book that does, I was just saying, seeing stuff so far into the future would surprise them since sod couldnt be alive by normal means{like jeane} I think playing 1 and 2 again would make 4 more enjoyable to those who havent played them

any way I respect your oppinions Red Killey
Nighteyes

Post by Nighteyes »

It would be nice to have a decent RPG in my PSP, since there aren't too many of them. I own both games, but still I would buy the pack if it did come outside Japan, maybe I'll even buy it if it doesn't, even though I suck in japanese... :roll:
Futagi

Post by Futagi »

Though I have to say, the fact that Suikoden II sells on ebay for about $100 suggests that there's at least a demand for it. But that's just me.
Hello Suikoden-type people:D
Zed

Post by Zed »

The same reason why PSP gamers flocked to Lumines? Right now there is a general lack of games coming out for the PSP, if Konami were smart they would try to capitalise on it (with Twelve AND Suikoden I & II). You really should remember that a lot of PSP owners actually consider themselves hardcore gamers, I've actually heard a hell of a lot of excitement about the port (outside of Suikoden communities).
Risks aren't why Sega is crap nowadays, they're crap because:
a) They were in debt long before the Dreamcast.
b) They've ruined most of their franchises (Phantasy Star, Shining Force and Sonic in particular).
czartiffac

Post by czartiffac »

Aw I thought Konami would make a step forward and release Suiko 1 & 2 for NA on the PSP and I still think they should since the well of RPG on the PSP is still dry and I think that Suikoden could have had a better chance in the PSP. The only notables RPG that I know is Xenosaga, I don't think theres any FF in the PSP since thier on the NGBA is there?

What a waste of oppurtunity...
Kimimi

Post by Kimimi »

As somebody who works in a game shop, and has done for years, I can tell you that the majority of the PSP owners here are casual, PS2 gamers (the Fifa/GTA/Madden type)with high disposable income and a desire to be "cooler" than their mates. The title 95% are after is without a doubt GTA Liberty City Stories.
True hardcore gamers only really fit themselves into the PSP demographic by importing titles such as Sengoku Cannon and the like. Either that, or they are too busy emulating games on their PSPs to care.
You'd be surprised, but Lumines has sold best to casual, female, players. The game requires very little time to play or learn (very high priority for non gamers) and is one of very few PSP Western titles that doesn't involve blowing things up/killing stuff/beating your mates in fast cars or sports.
Fact is, Suikoden is not the RPG name on everybodys lips, and the most recent version in game stores is easily overshadowed by much more interesting RPGs (such as Shadow Hearts Covenant) or bankable ones (FF X-2, Star Ocean, Radiata Stories).

I'm not even getting into the Sega debate because I have no desire to derail this thread from it's main discussion.
Zed

Post by Zed »

Kimimi wrote:The game requires very little time to play or learn (very high priority for non gamers) and is one of very few PSP Western titles that doesn't involve blowing things up/killing stuff/beating your mates in fast cars or sports.
:? Lumines is a western title? What?! Ignoring that, I somehow doubt that Lumines is one of the best selling PSP games because of casual female gamers.

And Suikoden IV was overshadowed because it was, to be perfectly honest, crap compared to games like Shadow Hearts: Covenant, Suikoden I and II however are a completely different story. There's kind of a reason why Suikoden games are so rare and cost so much on ebay.