Suikoden 5 - Graphics or story

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Joveeno

Post by Joveeno »

One vote for story (oh, I forgot, this is not a vote)...
The reason I like Suikoden series are because of the storyline. It's not like other RPGs with several superhuman-characters-trying-to-save-the-world from superduper-ultimate-final-boss for the-sake-of-all-people-in-the-world-without-receiving-any-reward.
Raftrider

Post by Raftrider »

Story, definitely! Why compromise a good story for graphics? If Suikoden V is as much of a let down as Suikoden IV was, SO HELP ME GOD....
Diego Zanzar

Post by Diego Zanzar »

For me, A good RPG should have a good storyline and battle system. As for graphics, I don't care if they're 2D or 3D but there's a certain extent I have for 2D graphics, they can't be cheap looking like most old school RPGs (random example: FFIV).
The skilled, the elite, the Team Terra
Id

Post by Id »

Before Story or graphics, I would like a team of developers that actually know what they are doing to work oni the next suikoden.
Hero Kev

Post by Hero Kev »

isnt it the same as choosing story?The root of the problem is still to have a better storyline and plot isnt it.
Raziel33

Need a Backstory for the Game

Post by Raziel33 »

I think having a backstory for the main character and the story in general makes the game a lot more involving look at suikoden 2

Also i felt like the leader of the army or whatever in the first and second games not so much so in the third and fourth ones

I am not trying to say rehash the same story from the originals but make the story for the next one more involving and i think a backstory for the character and plot would really help

I am in the story over graphics group all the way
TwinFang

Post by TwinFang »

Yeah, should be a story you can get into. Suikoden 4 was shoot, flimsy story and to quick. It needs a good strong storyline, lots more mini-games, really well thought out dungeons and legnth.
Roronoa_Z

Post by Roronoa_Z »

I will choose storyline than graphic. I like S1 and S2 more than any Suikoden series. Their graphic which is so cute make me repeat it to play again for 5x.

Sigh i just want the old suikoden back :roll:
Fury

Post by Fury »

I'll go with storyline. I got bored with the story in IV, and if it weren't for the New Game+, I would have dropped it after beating it once.

I just want the major battles to be shaped up.

S1 was paper, rock, scissors.

S2 was great, but the power ratings ended up not making a lot of sense.

S3 was just glorified fighting that doesn't allow you to pick your target...very weak, IMHO.

S4 was more strategy based, but in the end, it's just an elaborate paper, rock, scissors.

I want to see a real battlefield melee. I want people hacking and slashing, knowing they'll hit something. Armies clashing in a massive encounter with the foe. A REAL battle.

I want to see the true effects of a war, like shown in Braveheart, Gladiator, etc. More than just a handfull of people die in major engagements. I want that shown. They got close in S2, but surely with games the way they are now, they can incorporate mass attacks with decent gameplay. You know...bodies, bodies, everywhere...people tripping over the wounded and the dead, fighting for their lives and for their country...I think that would work.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

I thought the system implemented in S3 was the best considering your units attacked based on their personality and special abilities.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Silver Mouri

Post by Silver Mouri »

I'm all about the story over graphics. One of my favorite things about the first two suikodens was the 2-D graphics, but then again, I'm a rare case when it comes to games.

I hate 3-D graphics ^^;; I think there horrible.

So... I'm all about the story, which did seem to be lacking in the latest to... er... well... I heard it was lacking in III (I personally couldn't stand III and have yet to pick it back up to play it)
LillyXChris

Post by LillyXChris »

Silver Mouri wrote:I hate 3-D graphics ^^;; I think there horrible.
You just think 3-D graphics are horrible but then 3-D makes things a lot better. In the case of S3, i think Konami was just trying out 3-D effects. We all know it's quite quirky, so sue us.
Just think about it. Someone might be writing a Kingdom Hearts 2/Pretty Cure x-over right now. That someone is me.

Now playing POTC At World's End
Nozomi Yumehara and Darkside Dream... Miko (Princess) Yumehara
Sisters (Yes Precure 5/Precure X-over)
KoyuRedd

Post by KoyuRedd »

Story for me. Well... graphics get a good mark too, since making 2-D sprites move is harder than 3-D.
[evil laugh here]
Kimar

What I hope to see in Suikoden 5

Post by Kimar »

The next suikoden story should be about Ted and THE story about Ted. What happens to him during those 300 years he has the soul eater? More importantly how does he change history. Afterall he too has been entrusted with a 'true rune.' That would be interesting.

Or perhaps a story with Sierra and the moon rune which was stolen from her by Nelcord. Or even Nelcord and how and why he becomes evil.

Finally I like to add, although I like how graphics are improving I don't like the camera angling stuff. I get motion sickness quite easily and it makes it hard for me to play certain kinds of games. This is especially hard when they come out with great games like suikoden that I can no longer enjoy...

I would like to add that the things that attracted me to suikoden was the storyline. However I must add that the depts in character development has declined drastically since suikoden II. What makes a great game or for that matter a great story? Characters! I want a reason to really care about those characters. I want to have the choice to choose which path I choose and pay for those choices. I want Interaction of that kind.

The battle system in Suikoden 3 was a disappointment and took away the players right to stragety. Suikoden 4 battle system improved (thankfully) and it was interesting to hear the characters talking, but it still needs improvement.

Finally, does anyone here agree that Snow had to be the most pathetic character they ever had the misfortune to meet? When attacked by pirates he couldn't move his arm...but then he flees the ship and starts rowing the boat. Ha! What a dork! I really regreted allowing him to live for the sake of finding all the 108 stars.
Arane

Post by Arane »

I do vote for for storyline over graphics, but here's a question that I have yet to find an answer to: Why do RPGgamers seem to hate 3D graphics? At times, it seems like people who are neutral (i.e. If you can tell what they are supposed to be, and their looks fit the story, it's good) are in the minority everywhere. Both 2D and 3D styles have their cons and pros, and it seems almost like comparing apples to oranges in terms of which one is better overall. Like, for example, I liked S3 graphics (I liked other things about it, but this is just refering to graphics) so much because of the faces. During the scenes, the character's faces normally changed to match emotion (i.e. Chris would look like she's angry/thinking and later would look relaxed because of what they did with the eyes), and while they could have laughing and the like in 2D graphics, I never really saw something that detailed...

Oh, and S4 kinda bombed in both departments. If you got really close to people...you saw there wasn't even as much detail as in S3. Come to think of it, I can't even remember if I saw someone blinking. And the plot kinda stank after a while (it had so much potential too, a rune that goes around harvesting souls...the villian and the...whatever you would classify Troy as...a king who looked more like a surfer...okay, maybe not that last part)

As for the next game, I personally hope they continue the trend of introducing new runes. I like finding out about the different runes and how they fit in with things.

Another thing, the battles in S3 did have an element to strategy in the way you set up and moved units. Like some characters were better in certain parts of the field, or I had some units that were simply 'support' unts (for lack of better term) in that they provided spells and cover. It was just different from the typical rock - paper - scissors style of battle.