Suikoden 5 - Graphics or story

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
SpiritUk

Post by SpiritUk »

Definately story. I'd actually like to see the 2D capacities of either the PS2 or PS3, whichever is going to potentially hold host to Suikoden 5, assuming they don't start a new spin-off series instead of continuing Suikoden. For me, Suikoden is, hands down, the greatest RPG series to grace any home console. I enjoy playing stuff like Final Fantasy and the Tales series, but they haven't a scratch on Suikoden.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

story 100 percent!

the fabric of a great rpg is its story and without a story theres no reason to play the game. Suikoden has an amazing story and thats why its such a great rpg
Anamanaguchi

Post by Anamanaguchi »

I hate 3-D graphics ^^;; I think there horrible.
What would make you want to say that? I know it's an opinion but wow, it's a very out of date opinion, I could understand if this was back in 1993 when they tried making 3D games with 16 bit limited systems. I love 3D games, they changed a lot of ways we look at games. It also give me an idea of what good games are actually out there. You should all do yourselves a favor and ditch Suikoden for about 2 months and play a real game, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.
Fundertaker
Location: DeathValley, Underworld (The World where Deadmans come)

Post by Fundertaker »

-reads Anamanagushi's post-

...and then realize that Suikoden is better and start plyin it again. :twisted:

Anyway, I agree that the story must be the focus of the new Suiko, the graphics don't matter that much. They can make the game with Suikoden 2 optimised engine that for me would be equal.
creativerealms

Post by creativerealms »

Story. However Suidoken four's problom really has nothing to do with Graphics over story anyway just that the game was rushed. The graphics are far from impressive ether, they seem pretty rushed too especially the magic spells.

The graphics are as plain as the story, even though the graphics are better then #3 the graphic style and the design of the characters is much better. S4's characters are dull and uninspired to look at as well personality wise. Suidoken four feels like a longer version of Suidoken one with a far worse story.

I do not see Suidoken four as graphics over story as the graphics feel just as rushed. This game feels like a cheap cash in to the whole story in every way. the uninspired character designs, primitive looking spells and unities that are not much better the graphics are not really a strong point for Suidoken four ether.

However I still say story while I like the graphic style better in Suidoken three what makes the game so good is its different and very good way to tell the story. Suidoken 3 is quickly becoming one of my favorite RPGs due to its creative story telling. I mean it is not the first RPG to do something like this (Star Ocean second story and Final Fantasy six come to mind) but the best in how it is pulled off.
Kimar

Post by Kimar »

Responding to Arane.

I am not sure it is the 3D graphics that is the main problem as that damn camera angling. Alot of people get sick easily with the newer games compared to the older ones. I myself a major gamer tend to feel sick when playing the newer games. Even when they came out with Mario search for the stars I found I could no longer play it. Even Zelda and the oracina of time. Anyways I can't speak for everyone, just myself and for a couple people I know.

I agree with you on S4, the people didn't blink, I noticed that after awhile and the characters 'running' seemed wooden.
creativerealms

Post by creativerealms »

3d camras are only annoying when they are like Suidoken fours, there is almost no way to control it and it spins around your character you you stop movies even fore a second. It feels unfinished like the rest of this game.
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

It's true; After Suikoden II the series lost it's reputation for great storyline and plot. Althought I'm sure Konami will never go back to 2D because of the everchanging developments in video game technology, 2D fits RPGs and games like Suikoden best. It gives it a more storybook feel.

I could care less if the Suikoden games had awesome 3D graphics and voice overs (which I think ruin any game). It's all about how the game is played and what the player can get from the story. That's why I NEVER get sick of replaying Suikoden II.
"I'd be happy to demonstrate its sharpness on your neck."
Kimar

Post by Kimar »

Ahhh...suikoden II, the best game in the history of RPG. Everything about it was awesome. I wish the story line never stopped. Oh well, every story has an end as the saying goes.

Hey! does anyone know if they started making suikoden V yet?

I am also curious to know what all you people think the next plot should be. Isn't anyone curious and Seirra and that moon rune. She didn't really use it did she? I know she had a rune before, but what about after she got the moon rune back from Nelcord. Anyways let me know!
Kirke

Post by Kirke »

nuSeed wrote:I could care less if the Suikoden games had awesome 3D graphics and voice overs (which I think ruin any game).
I'd agree, most of the time, but I thought they seemed appropriate in Kingdom Hearts.

Kimar - so you know, they have a whole other topic regarding your questions - http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=3267
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

I've never played Kingdom Hearts but are the voice overs for the Disney characters? If so then yeah that wouldn't ruin it because we are already familiar with them. Voice overs are bad for games where we don't know the characters already. It shold be the player's job to picture in their mind how that character would sound.
"I'd be happy to demonstrate its sharpness on your neck."
Arane

Post by Arane »

I personally thought the plot to 3 was well-thought out...and 4 seemed rushed in all areas, so you can't really say that one was plot over graphics.
Kimar wrote:Responding to Arane.

I am not sure it is the 3D graphics that is the main problem as that damn camera angling. Alot of people get sick easily with the newer games compared to the older ones. I myself a major gamer tend to feel sick when playing the newer games. Even when they came out with Mario search for the stars I found I could no longer play it. Even Zelda and the oracina of time. Anyways I can't speak for everyone, just myself and for a couple people I know.
Now see, if they just said that, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But most of the time, I see people just saying '3d sucks!' and leaving it at that. No blinking was just...odd. I stood in front of Sigurd for a long time waiting for him to blink...just to see if he would.

And sometimes, voice-overs can be good. If they are done well, it can add another layer of depth. Just imagine in the theatre of S3 if you could hear how creepy Landis is and how sarcastic and rebellious Geddoe was!...Besides, if the creators are the ones designing the characters, don't you think they have their own idea about how the characters should sound? Text can only convey so much, whereas a solid voice actor can convey emotion without stating the emotion they have.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

A good writer is able to convey emotion through words, so voices are not always necessary if the dialogue is good.

As a matter of fact, I'd be willing to say that in some cases emotion can be conveyed better through text than spoken word.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Kasumi

Post by Kasumi »

I hate voices in videogames ! They completely kill our imagination. When a character only speak trough subtitles, you are able to imagine his/her voice and figure out his/her personnality by yourself.

But the technological course leads the software editors to put more and more technology in their games so they record voices more frequently now and I dislike it very much. The worst being the FInal Fantasy series : due to this stupid voiceover, you are no longer able to change character names, which was so nice to personnalize your adventure ! Less fun, more technology....
Well, in the end I should have dated Tir before the end of the war...
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I think voices are fine, if they are done well. But, they pretty much never are. They're either passable or horrible. They also don't flow nicely. I'm playing Star Ocean right now and there are huge pauses between each line of dialogue even when it's supposed to be a quick impassioned argument. If they aren't going to do it properly they shouldn't do it at all. Usually just allowing an option to turn voiceovers off works fine. Most series have that. Allowing original Japanese voices with text boxes would be fine too, as they are usually well done (or maybe I just can't tell if they're bad because I don't know much Japanese).