I want old dudes back

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Auragaea

Post by Auragaea »

Sniper_Zegai basically said what I wanted to say. We know little about the majority of the characters I listed, so I would like to see more of their background. It isn’t that hard to figure out.

Also, I’d like to add Estella to that list. She may be a pathologic liar, but maybe she says some legit things.
Hmm... Didn't make much money. Next time, let's get rich! - Rachel
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

In response to Fury. I agree that we should at least get some little samplers of Yuber and Pesmerga having a little scuffle. It would have been nice if you could force a confrontation between Yuber and Pesmerga in Suikoden 2 on the army battle just to wet your appetite. Im sure however that Konami will soon throw you a bone.
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Fury wrote:Expanding on that, I want to see a fight between Yuber and Pesmerga. We're all told that they battled after the events of Suikoden II, but it was a draw where Yuber escaped.
It was after Suikoden I, not II.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Okay, so what about characters like Rock and Blackman for example? We know almost nothing about them. But I don't want to know more about them or have them reappear. Why don't they appear on your list and Pesmerga does? Is it the black armour? I think it is. If Blackman wore black armour you'd want to know more about him.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Wouldn't you say that's a little heavy-handed, though? There's more to Pesmerga than the black armor, and there is nothing more to Blackman and Rock, as far as we can tell.

Yuber's got a True Rune and a rival, and their fight is supposed to happen in the final game, implying a large role in the future. Rock and Blackman are simple characters with simple dreams and simple ambitions, and almost nothing to them.
Fury

Post by Fury »

Oppenheimer wrote:Okay, so what about characters like Rock and Blackman for example? We know almost nothing about them. But I don't want to know more about them or have them reappear. Why don't they appear on your list and Pesmerga does? Is it the black armour? I think it is. If Blackman wore black armour you'd want to know more about him.
Pesmerga appears on my list because he's one of the most powerful characters you can find, yet don't manage to secure him until late in the story. His character provides a mystery, with such a heated rivalry with Yuber, we've only seen a small particle of the tip of the iceberg. There are no great confrontations between the two in any of the actual gameplay.

All we know is that he's searching for Yuber, and Yuber is almost hiding from him. Additionally, we know that Yuber is incredibly strong.

People have fascinations with powerful characters/powerful enemies.

Rock keeps the storehouse, and Blackman is a farmer. They stood out very little, and were merely support characters. Nothing spectacular, nothing particularly interesting. "Look, I grow Snap, Crackle, and Pop plants, but you can call them rice!" Not exactly bouncing up and down in excitement.

Was that a question to get me to explain myself, or aimed at making me look like a flimsy buffoon?
Mekoveya

Post by Mekoveya »

Oppenheimer wrote: Is it the black armour? I think it is. .
You're joking, right? There is far more to Pesmerga than black armor. He plays an interesting role in a side plot. A side plot without a conclusion. Hence why peopole want to know more about him.

In actuality a far more interesting question to explore might be why certain characters, like Blackman and Rock, aren't interesting. Of course, that answer seems somewhat obvious as well- they don't have interesting side plots.
Auragaea

Post by Auragaea »

Mekoveya wrote:
Oppenheimer wrote: Is it the black armour? I think it is. .
You're joking, right? There is far more to Pesmerga than black armor. He plays an interesting role in a side plot. A side plot without a conclusion. Hence why peopole want to know more about him.

In actuality a far more interesting question to explore might be why certain characters, like Blackman and Rock, aren't interesting. Of course, that answer seems somewhat obvious as well- they don't have interesting side plots.
Precisely. My first Suikoden was SIII, so the whole Yuber and Pesmerga ordeal doesn't have as much impact on me as many others. In fact, I don't really care much for these 2 characters, or Crowley and Mazus, but I can't deny that these characters have a mysterious and interesting past to them. We might not know much about Blackman or Rock, but those characters aren't intriguing, nor do they seem like they're ever going to be important to the storyline; if they were, some hints would be pointed to them or they would at least appear in other Suikos.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

Oppenheimer wrote:Okay, so what about characters like Rock and Blackman for example? We know almost nothing about them. But I don't want to know more about them or have them reappear. Why don't they appear on your list and Pesmerga does? Is it the black armour? I think it is. If Blackman wore black armour you'd want to know more about him.
Ive been reading the responses to this post and Im sure Oppenheimer was just joking. But Im starting to think he has a point if Rock or Blackman looked unusual it would peek my curiousity. Anyway Pesmerga does have an interesting rivalry and the biuld up is like a bad soap opera but It does'nt mean I cant wait fot the conclusion!
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Okay, you want a side plot that's unresolved?

Watari is on the run. He has a mysterious background and a mysterious group, etc. We haven't discovered the end to his story . . . but no one talks about him and he got a few story sequences. However, Pesmerga is talked about incessently.

I seriously think the draw to Pessy is the black armour. He looks "cool" so people obsess about him. There's no more deep reason than that.

I'm just sick and tired of hearing about how interesting a guy is who gets a grand total of two lines over the course of two games, and hasn't been heard from for 3 games.

We should be encouraging Konami when they make well developed characters, with plot and feeling and depth. To give them so much praise for a palate swap of a character that didn't do anything interesting until Suikoden III? Is just asking them to be lazy. Anyway, I digress.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

Oppenheimer wrote:I'm just sick and tired of hearing about how interesting a guy is who gets a grand total of two lines over the course of two games, and hasn't been heard from for 3 games.
You do have a point there. Pesmerga does'nt say or do much, he is one of the last stars you recruit in the game, so theres no real use for him early in the game. There are plenty of decent characters to explore and afterall is'nt that the be the beauty of Suikoden's 108 stars system. Im more interested in Yuber and The Eightfold Rune personally but it does'nt change the fact that for some odd reason people love Pessy. It could be the fact he wears awesome black armor, Who Knows?
Auragaea

Post by Auragaea »

As I said before, I don't particularly care for Pesmerga or Yuber as characters (and the black armor honestly isn't cool), but I do like their mysterious backgrounds. Besides, I prefer cuter characters like Millie, Hix, and Tengaar.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

Auragaea wrote:I prefer cuter characters like Millie, Hix, and Tengaar.
I would love to see the return of Hix and Tengaar. They are fun characters and I enjoyed playing with them in Suiko 1 and 2. I did'nt really care for Millie but her return would'nt be a terrible thing either. I almost wanna see a soap opera like break-up then make-up story with Hix and Tengaar because despite they are travelling to prove Hix's manhood. They are very realistic in many ways. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Oppenheimer wrote:I'm just sick and tired of hearing about how interesting a guy is who gets a grand total of two lines over the course of two games, and hasn't been heard from for 3 games.
How about Hikusaak? He has been in 0 games thus far, and has had, subsequently, 0 lines. Why would you say he is popular, and is a common topic of Suikoden discussion? Is it because of some other trait besides his clothing, or what? Who exactly has been saying that Pesmerga is cool because of his black armor?

As others have already said, we don't like his character because he accessorizes like a wannabe goth. We like him, and people like Luc (whom fan girls love to death) because they are interesting characters, to us, clothing aside. To group us all together is a tad arrogant.
27x4=108

Post by 27x4=108 »

Nobody knows were Millie comes from, the rune she uses is so strange, cuz it seems she sumoned Bonaparte from other dimension, her weapon is quite cool too, and she is the only one in suikoden II to have rank A affinity with pale gate.

She traveled with Nash, Meg and Viki to Vikis dimension / world, but it seems nobody pays attention to this.

Its a more interesting character than Pesmerga for sure, but she dont wear a cool black armor of course...
Sorry for my very bad english! :S