Handheld Suikoden

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Michael Easton

Handheld Suikoden

Post by Michael Easton »

Am I the only one who thinks that Suikoden would be great on a handheld? After all games like Golden Sun did do well on the GBA (I think anyway, may be wrong) and there are hardly any killer RPGs on handhelds.

Konami could port Suikoden 1 and 2 to the DS (like Capcom did with Breath of Fire 1 and 2) which would be absolutely amazing in my opinion, and the PSP could do with a good RPG (Hint hint: Suikoden 3 damnit). Suikoden: anywhere you want. Imagine it!
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Agreed. With so many GBA/PSP/DSs out there, they'd be able to grab a whole new audience with Suikoden on the handhelds. Lots of companies have released their first two games in an RPG series on a handheld (Capcom, Square-Enix). When I say GBA/PSP/DS, I don't mean releasing the Suikodens on all three, but those are the three big handhelds right now.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

I wouldn't really want Suikoden on any handheld caus I don't wanna buy a handheld and when a sikoden gets released on DS or PSP I'l need to buy it...
True Wind Bearer

Post by True Wind Bearer »

Well, it'd be good if it was a turn-based strategy game on the hand held, the essence would be the greatness.
Fliktor

Post by Fliktor »

My spark for a Suikoden handheld came about whilst playing Suikoden IV and you see some characters in their 2D sprites. That made me think about a Suikoden Handheld game - as likely (but not definately) they wouldn't make a new Suikoden in 2D unless it was on a handheld.
Whats your opinion on censorship? ... **** censorship!
[King Fliktor] [Axiose, my Dæmon]
YuberClone

Post by YuberClone »

putting suikoden on a handheld might be cool for the suikogaidens or maybe a suiko tactics. However, one benefit to having it on a console is transfering data to the next game. that wouldn't really be an option with a handheld cartridge system.
Suiko4, wasn't the best in the series, but other franchises have done worse. Remember Final Fantasy Mystic Quest??
Michael Easton

Post by Michael Easton »

YuberClone wrote:putting suikoden on a handheld might be cool for the suikogaidens or maybe a suiko tactics. However, one benefit to having it on a console is transfering data to the next game. that wouldn't really be an option with a handheld cartridge system.
That's not necessarily true. Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age on the GBA allowed you to upload item and character information from GS to GS: TLA by using the GBA's link cable, so it is possible for data to be transferred from one Suikoden GBA game to the next. Providing such a game is made of course.
syun_ukiya

Post by syun_ukiya »

i dunno.. you have less text if its handheld..
Michael Easton

Post by Michael Easton »

syun_ukiya wrote:i dunno.. you have less text if its handheld..
Again, this may not be necessarily true, after all Nintendo did manage to fit all of Super Mario 64 (and new mini-games) onto the DS, so fitting a game like Suikoden onto a handheld wouldn't be much of a problem.
Fliktor

Post by Fliktor »

Especially a handheld like the PSP which is more powerful than the PSX which ran Suikoden I and II.
Whats your opinion on censorship? ... **** censorship!
[King Fliktor] [Axiose, my Dæmon]
syun_ukiya

Post by syun_ukiya »

i only have gba and so far the text are less compared to psx.. ps2's text are also less.. *disappointment*
Michael Easton

Post by Michael Easton »

Another theory I have about a handheld Suikoden and it relates to this Suikoden Tactics business. Here goes:

If you take the GBA as an example and look at some it's most popular games you will find quite a alot of Strategy-RPG games, such as: Onimusha Tactics; Advance Wars; Advance Wars 2; Final Fantasy Tactics Advance; the Fire Emblem Series etc.

To me releasing Suikoden Tactics on a handheld (not necessarily the GBA) would seem like a good idea as cashing in on the success of handheld strategy games could help bring more fans to the series. Please remember this is just a theory, nothing more.
DragonKnight

Post by DragonKnight »

Suikoden 1/2 would be amazing for the PSP
Michael Easton

Post by Michael Easton »

DragonKnight wrote:Suikoden 1/2 would be amazing for the PSP
I agree with you there but Suikoden 3 would certainly be a hell of a lot better. After all the PSP does not have (or does not seem to have) many killer RPG's for the system.

Think about it this way: the PSP is supposed to be slightly more powerful than the PS2, so in order to make games that fully utilise the PSP's power developers will need big teams to do so, thus increasing the cost of development. Now, it is pretty well established that publishers in the games industry are taking less risks in regard to original games these days, which is why we see lots of licensed games based on films or comic books etc.

Therefore, in order to reduce the costs of developing new, original and/or innovative games publishers will instead choose to port old titles to the PSP (such as Lemmings. Yes, you heard, Lemmings) because there is less risk and a greater chance of turning a profit. It is, therefore, not unreasonable to say that we may indeed see the Suikoden series on the PSP.
Faust

Post by Faust »

At first I was filled with anger at the idea of the first two Suikodens on a handheld, but then I realised that it was only due to the fact that I'd have to buy it and I'd feel that people who'd "missed out" ten years ago would be able to play them easilly now (I bought Suikoden a couple of weeks after it came out here for £12.99.

Someone had bought it, hated it, exchanged it and effectively given me a great bargain. However, it got LOST OH NO after a couple of years and I searched for a long time to replace it (I'd bought Suikoden 2 [with free cool Suikoden 2 demo oddly enough @_@] and I wanted to upload my now non-existent suikoden 1 file), and when I finally did it was a US copy costing £59.99. Waaah.

Then I realised "Hey, this is a bit selfish" and remembered quite a bit of joy every time I get someone new to try the series. So screw it, yeah, sounds like a great idea for them to be imported to new consoles. It'd mean a huge selection of titles on console-startup too as they're already designed and made. Just need tweaking hehe. Like the Revolution being backwardly compatible I suppose (even though the SNES did it first I think hehe).
Solamen miseris socios habuisse doloris