Suikoden IV comes to EU PSN

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Antimatzist

Suikoden IV comes to EU PSN

Post by Antimatzist »

As Sony just announced, this Thursday, Suikoden IV will be released on PSN, making it playable on the PS3 (PS2 Classics work differently for the PS4 and, well, yeah). I guess the US will see the game soonish within the next month, as does Japan maybe? This is actually interesting, because this might be the first time that the West gets the download first.

Anyway, with four down, only 2 PS2 Suikoden games remain to be re-released and that's all a Suikoden fan ask for at the moment. Reworked ports for the PC or new consoles would be amazing, but seeing how Konami is doing at the moment, I doubt that's realistic atm. But one should never stop hoping, I guess.

Source: PlayStation EU Blog
Last edited by Antimatzist on Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Re: Suikoden IV comes to EU PSN

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Well, that came out of nowhere, last I heard Suikoden III didn't do too hotly. Really wish they'd start making them for PS4 instead though.

Link
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Added the source, thanks Raww!

Yeah it came out of nowhere. I heard rumours that a release of V before IV would be something more realistic, but it was just a really weak rumour anyway. And I think PS2 Classics never really do super well, especially now that most of them can only be played on the PS3.

Bringing the Classics to PS4 would be super amazing, but then again, nobody really knows how expensive that is. So far, not even 40 PS2 games have been released for the PS4. Adding higher res and achievements doesn't seem like such a big deal to me (especially since Suikoden IV already used the PS2 HD cable), but who knows?

Throwing them all together in a remastered release would be even better, just like FF X/X-2. Then people on other consoles could play it as well, potentially even on PC. But I doubt this one is a realistic thought.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

so there were no issues with getting permission from the voice actors, or whatever that excuse was that some people mentioned.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

sticky-runes wrote:so there were no issues with getting permission from the voice actors, or whatever that excuse was that some people mentioned.
It is hard to say. I really have no exact idea how all that licensing works in detail, but I guess this can always be a problem. E.g., I could not find information on wether IV will be released in Japan as well (it seems no, at least for the moment). But licensing works differently for every country so... yeah, no idea. We even don't know if the game comes out in Australia (which belongs to the PAL store territory) as well.

Without any background information, it is hard to say what kept them from releasing the games again.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Antimatzist wrote:Throwing them all together in a remastered release would be even better, just like FF X/X-2. Then people on other consoles could play it as well, potentially even on PC. But I doubt this one is a realistic thought.
It might be easier to sell it as a package deal though, rather than individually again. People that already bought them on PS3 would be hesitant to buy them all over again, but in a package at a low price, all on one disc, throw in the gaidens, plus trophies and higher res? Maybe.

Then again, it's Konami so we could end up with another Silent Hill Collection on our hands and that's not going to help anyone.

Can't seem to find PEGI rating for this release though, I think we had one way in advance of Suikoden III which tipped us off it was happening. Then again this would be the first Suiko-title re-released that already had a PEGI rating so maybe it doesn't need reclassification?

Edit: So something's up. Suikoden IV has apparently been delayed (by virtue of still not being available) but more worryingly, I can't seem to find any instance of Konami even mentioning it was supposed to happen? All sources seem to point to the sony blog, Konami at least mentioned on twitter when S3 came out.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Well that was a -ing tease. For a while Suikoden IV was listed as coming to PS4 instead in this week's blog post but turned out to be a "mistake". But was it the mistake of "That's not happening" or "That's not supposed to happen yet"?

Either way it's still not available for PS3 either and no one is talking. Though on the kinda plus side, at least Suikoden is getting some kind of attention...
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Yeah, I really have to wonder if Sony is *ing this up or Konami. In any case, heavy misunderstanding. Also, the complete lack of communication is alarming. Somebody has to know something, and the SRM and the Konami social media channels have always been on good terms, they should at least appreciate that there will be people trying to advertise the game... argh.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Nothing new. At least Suikoden IV is not included in this week's update blog post, but neither Konami nor Sony would respond to questions.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

According to Konami UK, the release of the game has been delayed. No reasons were given.
https://twitter.com/KonamiUK/status/798518736324067329
Heptade

Post by Heptade »

If it's only delayed, then I say it's good news, at least concerning the availability of the series. If they're releasing the black sheep of the series, I would expect them to release V soon. Tactics, in my mind, remains the only question mark, although it would be strange to release IV and not Tactics, since they're pretty much a duology, and each one feels incomplete without the other, but it's Konami we're talking about, and lately logic hasn't been their forte.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Heh, I kinda figured out the delayed bit myself Konami but thanks. At least it's not cancelled.

Yet.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I hope the delay has something to do with the game coming to PS4. But I seriously doubt it.

EDIT: Meh, only PS3.
https://twitter.com/KonamiUK/status/798858126078287872
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Still no news on the Eu release, but it'll come to US PSN on February 28th. For PS3.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/02/ ... r-2282017/
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Let's see if it actually happens.

I hope it does, and that EU follows suit finally, then I just need V and Tactics and my PS3 will have become an official Suikoden emulator since the disc drive is bonkers. I should repaint it to a Suikoden theme.