Why not create our own game?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
son_michael

Why not create our own game?

Post by son_michael »

Hey guys, been a while since Iv'e been on the forums. Decided to check out the main page today and saw the Suikoden revival movement.

I recently downloaded a free JRPG made by the youtuber "Bastian time", the game is called "The Lore of Lorewyn" and it's a pretty sweet Jrpg, I'm enjoying it. so i thought to myself...why not make a game just like Suikoden? Surely there are those of you out there who can use an rpg maker program or design one yourself. Why not make unofficial Suikoden games without actually calling them suikoden?

if Konami sees that games like Suikoden are rapidly being downloaded and turning profit, they might just decide to revive the franchise.

There's gotta be suikoden fans who can make free downloadable games or games on the iphone etc. I think this is a great way to show Konami that people DO love Suikoden. We could advertise on forums, have deviant art artist create imagery, maybe get it on the Wii U or 3ds which is very friendly to starting developers. As long as we don't outright state its a suikoden, blatantly infringe on copyrights..we should be good to go.

So this is my attempt to help out the Suikoden community, I hope this idea is pondered and crafted into reality. I hope Suikoden will revive and I offer this idea as a form of support
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: Why not create our own game?

Post by patapi »

Firstly, it's always mentioning this commendable fan effort: http://site.scfworks.com/?page_id=10

And, then, there are a plethora of various efforts of various stages of progress in its own dedicated section of the board here: http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=68
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

patapi wrote:Firstly, it's always mentioning this commendable fan effort: http://site.scfworks.com/?page_id=10

And, then, there are a plethora of various efforts of various stages of progress in its own dedicated section of the board here: http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=68

I'm glad to see there is such a project, is that game finished?

I clicked on the link in the main page and I was brought to the announcements forum and the thread was locked, maybe you should fix that. How was I supposed to know there was a clone thread?
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

- RPGs are hard to make.
- Those with the necessary skillsets likely have fulltime jobs and other real-world obligations.

When I finally got my degree, I thought I'd finally have the time to work on that Suikoden game engine I announced a while back. Once I started work though, I realized just how wrong I was.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

Xelinis wrote:- RPGs are hard to make.
- Those with the necessary skillsets likely have fulltime jobs and other real-world obligations.

When I finally got my degree, I thought I'd finally have the time to work on that Suikoden game engine I announced a while back. Once I started work though, I realized just how wrong I was.
Even a 2d rpg? The goal isn't to make a ps3 level masterpiece, just to make something that reminds fans of Suikoden and to remind Konami that fans love the series.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Every game made requires a lot of effort. And if you want to make an RPG then you also need lots of story.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Yes, even a 2D RPG made with the RPG Maker takes a considerable amount of time. You need the story, then write the dialoguesetc. That alone could take some time. Then you also need the technical side (battle system, game mechanics like runes etc to make it more like Suikoden).

It really sounds easier as it is. Add to that that having a reliable team is near to impossible with people you only know via the web, most games are done by one person alone. And you'll never make the fanbase happy. An official game that is bad gets critizised and a lot of hate - but a fangame will be torn apart and heated discussions with vulgar language will follow for sure.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

Antimatzist wrote:Yes, even a 2D RPG made with the RPG Maker takes a considerable amount of time. You need the story, then write the dialoguesetc. That alone could take some time. Then you also need the technical side (battle system, game mechanics like runes etc to make it more like Suikoden).

It really sounds easier as it is. Add to that that having a reliable team is near to impossible with people you only know via the web, most games are done by one person alone. And you'll never make the fanbase happy. An official game that is bad gets critizised and a lot of hate - but a fangame will be torn apart and heated discussions with vulgar language will follow for sure.
Well I don't know how connected the suikoden revival movement is, but I imagine that if they can skype then they can assign an individual task to certain groups. For example, i wouldn't be opposed to writing background story for a character or certain plot elements( I hate dialogue so I'd never do that) and if I could have a team of 20 people that I could coordinate with, then slowly but surely we could build critical parts to the story.

I realize its hard though. I'm a full time college student, and as an English writing major, I'm constantly writing papers. I probably would have a couple of hours on weekends to write and I definitely wouldn't be a project leader or anything. I'm just trying to offer up a good idea and see if the community is capable of following up on it.

It really is hard for everybody to make time and organize into teams, but if we could do that, then there might be hope for the future of Suikoden.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

There is a game called "exit fate" which is very similar to Suikoden,but we can make some more of this kind. But problem is,that if we make it EXACTLY like Suikoden,then people will consider it a rip-off....for example don't use 108 recruitable characters and rune magic system...use a lot of characters like a number of 88,and the traditional MP magic system. :)
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

If it is put forth as a fan-made Suikoden, who's going to call it a rip-off? It's not oficially licensed but if you call it "an homage game produced by the dedicated fans of Suikoden" I think it could fly.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Most of the time fan efforts fail because everyone wants to "help out" with story and characters, etc, but very few if any know how to do the actual programming, and artists are also hard to come by.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

The reason why people with actual skills in programming and artistry is because those people often have other obligations or their own personal non-fandom projects. Unless they're beyond passionate for a fan project, they won't have enough motivation to do that much work pro bono.
Formerly known as: Gothann
hotspot

Post by hotspot »

It's an interesting idea, I know they did that on Chrono Conpendium for the Chrono Trigger/Cross games... a friend of mine however thinks they did really bad on it.
It would require a whole lot of work and numerous people to help out.
"Every lie contains the truth, and every truth contains a lie..."~ Shu

Suiko-Kya-Cross
Forum about the Suikoden, Kya Dark Lineage and the Chrono games.
○♦•¤Suiko-Kya-Cross○♦•¤
Flufflez

Post by Flufflez »

for those of you interested in contributing "ideas" to a project, i'm contemplating a new fan project that requires minimal artwork. you can see some early thoughts in the fan work thread.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Fine then, I'll create my own Suikoden game. With blackjack. And hookers.