Suikoden IV Remastering?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
RevKoden

Suikoden IV Remastering?

Post by RevKoden »

Suikoden IV, by many people is considered the worst of the series...not only by some people that the battle is too easy, the fact that the story & plot feels so rushed and characters coming into your army so fast and too easy, makes the matter worsen...
But to me, it's a pretty good game, yeah it has some flaws like i stated above and the graphic wasnt really that bright....
Everyone here is considering a remake of one of the series, some people would probably thinking "why not the PS series they are still in 2d, now we can see them in 3d?"
Well yeah, maybe but to me why do you want to remake a game that is already wonderful in it's time when there is some worst game that can give good image/review if it was properly made again...that's why suikoden IV is one of the series game that i want to see remastering..not only for the graphics but for the PLOT.
They could remake all the conversations in the game while keeping the same goal,to defeat Kooluk.
Why? Pretty much because Suikoden IV sets far off the time window before the other suikoden series...they could rework the plot to make it better
Whaddya think?
Antimatzist

Re: Suikoden IV Remastering?

Post by Antimatzist »

I don't like it when remakes change too much of the actual plot, so no. They have to pretty much change 70% of the game imo to make it really outstanding/excellent so it wouldn't really be profitable.
RevKoden

Post by RevKoden »

The plot is the same beating kooluk, but gives more depths to the characters...i remember in La pucelles PSP version there is an extended/ additional dialogue, suikoden iv could use some of that if they remaster it, also,this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIDzfqpQf4U
I like that if the battle is a bit like that so like it's real time but i dont know....
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

But I don't need only more depth, but a general overhaul of the plot. But everything other than just some different dialogue will eventually change the game altogether and then poses the question of which version is "canon".

But yeah, I like the pachislot graphics, that would be cool for a remake, but i think graphics aren't IVs biggest problem.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I actually like Suikoden 4's graphics. It was good to see everything up close, it was more immersive. Plus there was all those nice leather/metallic textures on the armour.

I do think all the quests were underwhelming - when it comes to gaining the cooperation of the other islands, all you really do is just go to each the island and talk to the leader and thats about it. And Na Nal gave you a very short sequence with the elf tree and Kooluk soldiers. some additonal dungeons might have been nice, and sub-quests featuring some of the other recruitable characters.

But I would rather they remake Suikoden 1. Give it 3d graphics, so we can revisit all the old locales like Gregminster and Pannu Kauta, and meet all the old characters like Viktor and Cleo, and see them all up nice and close in polygon form. Extra rune slots would be nice as well (since originally we could only attach one rune per character) and an advanced skill system (Kai as a martial arts instructor and perhaps Hellion as a magic instructor) and some extra dialogue to beef up all the supporting characters.
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

sticky-runes wrote:But I would rather they remake Suikoden 1. Give it 3d graphics, so we can revisit all the old locales like Gregminster and Pannu Kauta, and meet all the old characters like Viktor and Cleo, and see them all up nice and close in polygon form. Extra rune slots would be nice as well (since originally we could only attach one rune per character) and an advanced skill system (Kai as a martial arts instructor and perhaps Hellion as a magic instructor) and some extra dialogue to beef up all the supporting characters.
I've been wanting this for years. I'm sure that I'm alone on this part though, I would like to see it done in the style of Suikoden 5 rather than Suikoden 4. I know with 5's overhead view you don't get the full 3D immersion of S4, but it's more reminiscent of the classic RPG style. I also think S5's camera angle would benefit from todays 1080p resolution and wide screen format.
PSN: FreshMetal80
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I'm sure S5 overhead visuals would look better with today's graphics, but personally I think if they were going to redo it, then completely redo it. Unless they somehow came up with a way to make it so you could switch between overhead and free-roaming camera? Have graphics gotten that far yet?

I also like to imagine how some of the old unite attacks would look if they got revamped with updated graphics and camera angles...

Then there's the major battles - i think they would need to be redone somehow. I don't think a game coming out in this day and age would be forgiven for sticking with the rock/paper/scissors mechanics from the original suikoden!
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

sticky-runes wrote:I'm sure S5 overhead visuals would look better with today's graphics, but personally I think if they were going to redo it, then completely redo it. Unless they somehow came up with a way to make it so you could switch between overhead and free-roaming camera? Have graphics gotten that far yet?
It's absolutely possible with the power of today's hardware as long as the environments are rendered in 3D. It's just a mater of changing the perspective of the camera. Just look at MGS2 back on the PS2. You could switch between first person view and the standard fixed over-head view. This would be no different.
PSN: FreshMetal80
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

freshmetal wrote:
sticky-runes wrote:I'm sure S5 overhead visuals would look better with today's graphics, but personally I think if they were going to redo it, then completely redo it. Unless they somehow came up with a way to make it so you could switch between overhead and free-roaming camera? Have graphics gotten that far yet?
It's absolutely possible with the power of today's hardware as long as the environments are rendered in 3D. It's just a mater of changing the perspective of the camera. Just look at MGS2 back on the PS2. You could switch between first person view and the standard fixed over-head view. This would be no different.
well there you go then, we'd get the best of both worlds. Come on, Konami, pull your finger out.
hotspot

Post by hotspot »

I don't think it would really need to be remastered, especially since the game is not even that old; and In my opinion... it's perfect the way it already is.
"Every lie contains the truth, and every truth contains a lie..."~ Shu

Suiko-Kya-Cross
Forum about the Suikoden, Kya Dark Lineage and the Chrono games.
○♦•¤Suiko-Kya-Cross○♦•¤
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

hotspot wrote:I don't think it would really need to be remastered, especially since the game is not even that old; and In my opinion... it's perfect the way it already is.
I wouldn't go so far as top say Suikoden 4 is "perfect" - it certainly is not. But there are plenty of things that it has done a bit better than the other games in the series. The graphics are the best in the series, they've got better textures and better lighting than suikdoen 5, and the characters all have more weight about them (in S5, they all looked like they were made out of paper) and the cut scenes were nice with some decent voice acting. and I like being able to make sets of armour from monster remains, I don't know why they kept that out of S5 (probably because it would have taken up too much inventory space, and S4 is the only one where we don't need a storage room!!)

But the quests were too short, and there wasn't much variety of runes in Suikoden 4, so there's always room for improvement.
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

I think it's not the game as a whole that well, suck. I think there are just elements that could have been made better such as the plot, gameplay and the replay value of the game. I think they should recreate the environment as it felt very lax in my honest opinion.

-It felt as if the player is inside a dome wherein there's no freedom (I think).
-4-charater party wasn't amusing :P
-I think Ted was also brute-forced inside the game, his side-story could have been better.
-Characters didn't had personality they were a bunch of strangers and wasn't memorable at all... can't even remember half of them without looking in a list.
-The hero was poorly designed and looked too feeble. He wasn't a hero material at all if I can tell.
-Character art wasn't really that amazing (I love Junko Kawano's work but I think it wasn't her thing with the game)
-The supposed supporting character Snowe was a hateful character (it was a good point) however, when he was sorry, the player couldn't actually feel sympathy with him at all! They should have created a better twist to it.
-Warlock which is a key character was weak in character, they should have made him alot better.
-The final boss looked stupid lol.

I think if there's a game that should be remastered, it would be Suikoden III as it looks funny with the cuddly chibi characters. I think if it mesmerizes just like 5, it would definitely be epic. Yeah.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I thought Ted's part in this game was fine - I liked the part where Leknaat shows up says how the rune of life and death has to remain in the world, and Ted re-accepting the rune has shown her how strong humans are, and his voice sounded about right to me (I actually imagine him talking in that voice whenever I replay suikoden 1 now) but the thing that bothered me about Ted's recruitment in the game, and I don't know if anybody else felt this, but it was a bit too well hidden. I completely missed his recruitment on my first time playing suikoden 4, I originally wanted to play it without any sort of guide, and when i did finally look at one, I was like dammit!!! The window of opportunity where you can recruit Ted seems just too rare. It would be a bit like suikoden 2 having a cut-off point for when you can meet the hero from suikoden 1.

I agree with you about Warlock, though - he's the guy who is responsible for rune cannons being in the world - the war we're fighting pretty much centres around rune cannons - and he's just shown as another person you can pick up along the way. They didn't even bother with him much in Tactics, you just got Pablo saying a few lines about him and thats it.

And I would like to have known more about way rune cannons work. We don't actually see rune cannons in any great detail, we're just supposed to imagine somebody standing in front of a weird looking gun and activating it with their magic power. I don't know if the game has an old book volume describing them in greater detail, but I think it's something that really should have been emphasised more in the game. When Pablo starts explaining the history of rune cannons, you're only given options to rush his dialogue and make him get to the point, which pissed me off. I actually DO want to listen to his babbling and learn more about rune cannons. Maybe the character I'm playing knows everything he needs to know about them, but I don't!!!
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

If we can just summarize S4, it's like a game made by a geek excited to try out the console's capability while leaving every other bit unprioritized :P
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

yes, but the idea of the topic is to discuss ideas and ways the game can be improved, if you're just going to talk about what you didn't like about it, then that's boring :P