It's time for a different approach... Maybe?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
ttfii

It's time for a different approach... Maybe?

Post by ttfii »

A lot of us want the same things. A true Suikoden VI, the new game translated, Suikoden II on PSN, Suikoden III-V HD Collection (or PS2 classics), the other mangas translated, etc. Personally, I'd love high quality novelizations of the games and would settle for the series to continue in that form.

A lot of us have tried contacting different people in Konami. There have been minor successes but at the end of the day, we have to face the fact that Suikoden is not as important to them as it is to us. It's not surrounded by dollar signs like their other series.

I was able to keep my mind off Suikoden with the Valkyria Chronicles games. They have a similar atmosphere to them and were wonderful in their own right. Then, Valkyria Chronicles III never made it over to the US... Needless to say, times are tough for people that like these kinds of games.

Anyway, Konami is getting on my nerves with their vague responses. People can get more information from any other area of the entertainment industry about upcoming projects. But video games? Especially Konami's lesser-known series? Psshhhh....

Full Moon, the studio behind the b-rate Puppet Master films, currently have a plan on their website where people can donate $500 and get an "Executive Producer" credit in the film. I highly doubt Konami would go for something like this but I figured it would be worth a shot. If $500 is too much, then we could set up a PayPal donation account for Suikoden and have someone we can all trust handle it. If Konami agrees to this, we could all be happy knowing that we funded Suikoden's future. If they don't.... At least we tried.

I haven't contacted anyone about the "Executive Producer" or donations plans yet. This is the first time I've discussed it. I want your opinions.
Antimatzist

Re: It's time for a different approach... Maybe?

Post by Antimatzist »

That sounds very similar to our idea of crowdfunding discussed here http://suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 36&t=12812.

Still, this is a decision Konami, and only Konami, can make. I wouldnt trust 10$ to someone I just barely know from the internet and, better yet, can't do anything with the money anyway.
ttfii

Post by ttfii »

Also, to avoid half-assed installments, it'd be nice if Yoshitaka Murayama would at the very least write out a mythology for the rest of the series. It would be similar to what J.J. Abrams did for Lost. Abrams took care of the first couple episodes, laid the groundwork for the rest, and then let others ride it out.

I figure if Stephen King can write a sequel to The Shining 36 years later, it shouldn't be impossible for Murayama to at least blueprint the rest of the games... ten years after his departure.
ttfii

Post by ttfii »

Yeah, I totally never saw that crowdfunding thread. Whoops.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Instead of relying on donations, they should just release the rest of the Suikoden titles on the PSN and see how the sales of these games speak for themselves. Whether we like it or not, we have to accept that the series isn't a charity, and if it isn't paying enough monies, even the legendary Yoshitaka Murayama wouldn't be willing to work on the series again without pay.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

patapi wrote:Instead of relying on donations, they should just release the rest of the Suikoden titles on the PSN and see how the sales of these games speak for themselves. Whether we like it or not, we have to accept that the series isn't a charity, and if it isn't paying enough monies, even the legendary Yoshitaka Murayama wouldn't be willing to work on the series again without pay.
I dont know. It'd make sense to put I and II in US and EU store, maybe III for Eu - all other games aren't really expensive,and I guess most people wouldn't pay 8$ or whatever a game costs in PSN if they get the game for less on ebay.
Also, I dont know if all fans would buy the game again in digital format, if they possess the game already. So.. Konami might see no good sales on PSN -> no more Suikoden, even if there is a lot of interest.

I think a campaign like Operation Rainfall would help a lot. They managed to raise interest for 3 niche games, and I think Xenoblade is really well selling in the US.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Xenoblade, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower weren't exactly niche games, though. They were full-budget JRPGs made for the Wii, but published by Nintendo in Japan. Nintendo of America's seeming refusal to localize the games when Nintendo of Europe did it was what spawned Operation Rainfall. It helps to have huge ex-Squaresoft personalities/teams working on two of those games.

Also: Last I checked low-profile PSOne Classics are $6 and PS2 Classics are $10 on PSN. That's far under most used game prices in general. However, I agree that most people who already own the games won't care to buy them again unless their PS2 is broken.
Formerly known as: Gothann
ttfii

Post by ttfii »

I would definitely buy digital copies. Mainly because I'm a sucker for going digital.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Digital is nice in many ways, it doesn't take up tons of space in the real world, faster loading (most of the times) and much faster to change from one digital game to another.

Let's just hope Konami does something smart, for once.
ttfii

Post by ttfii »

Not to mention it's a great excuse not to lend out games, they can't be stolen, and they can't be damaged. Also, rarity is never an issue.
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

I would definitely purchase the games again in digital format. I purchased Suikoden 1 on PSN even though I own the disc version already, and my copy of Suikoden 5 was ruined by son a year ago. As for the PS2 games, the discs are no longer compatible with the slim PS3 models, so digital is the only way to play them unless you still have a PS2 or a fat PS3.
PSN: FreshMetal80
ttfii

Post by ttfii »

My Suikoden II disc got damaged a few years ago. I'm not about to dish out $100 for it. Sure, it's worth it but I can't justify it.
Flufflez

Post by Flufflez »

the best copy of suikoden 2 is available through this site, by means of patching an iso. unless a rereleased copy showed that kind of care and attention there would be no reason to trade in my old game discs for digital downloads
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

PSOne Classics don't work that way (I somewhat assume PS2 Classics don't either, though Odin Sphere seems to slightly contradict that). They're basically ISOs of a certain regional release with no other modifications made.

Fixing anything in Suikoden II through V would require releasing the games as PSN titles. That means full overhauls of the code to make it work on the PS3s Cell processor/Vita's ARM processor and new licensing deals that might not have been an issue for re-releases in a Classics format. That would also mean save transferring would break from Suikoden to Suikoden II, since I'm sure Konami wouldn't put the effort into making that work.
Formerly known as: Gothann
ttfii

Post by ttfii »

I'm pretty sure the only thing they have to do when releasing a game on PSone Classics is to get a new ESRB rating.