Victor Ireland Expresses Interest in Suikoden I & II PSP

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Xelinis

Victor Ireland Expresses Interest in Suikoden I & II PSP

Post by Xelinis »

For those unaware, Victor Ireland was the head of Working Designs, a JRPG localization company famous for bringing over Lunar, Albert Odyssey, and a number of other RPGs in the 90s. Recently, he, in collaboration with Monkeypaw Games, attempted a Kickstarter to provide a physical deluxe edition of Class of Heroes 2, though it only made 1/5 of its very tall $500,000 goal. More recently, when asked on a reddit channel about the possibility of Suikoden I & II PSP on PSN, the reps from Monkeypaw had this to say.
We love it, too, and would love to see it here. ;)
(Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/s ... sponsible/)

They have a long and extensive list of games they'd like to localize, so who knows if they'd have time to get to Suikoden. The even bigger question here is if Konami would be willing to grant them the license in the first place as, Vic's own post states, they're still on the fence. Still, this is some very interesting food for thought.
kratoscar2008

Re: Victor Ireland Expresses Interest in Suikoden I & II PSP

Post by kratoscar2008 »

Im would prefer Suikoden 100 year whatever psp as i want to play Suiko 1 2 on my psx, but if vic bring it i can grab a bite, however arent you worried that vic mess up the script?
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

The original translations of I and II weren't exactly Shakespeare themselves.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Not sure what he means by non-glitchy. The PSP version retains all glitches except the Matilda Gate and adds it's own new ones. The port is so shoddily done that I really don't want that to be anyone's first experience with the game.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:Not sure what he means by non-glitchy. The PSP version retains all glitches except the Matilda Gate and adds it's own new ones. The port is so shoddily done that I really don't want that to be anyone's first experience with the game.
Working Designs had a reputation for diving into the games they were working on and making minor changes to improve the experience, whether it was tweaking difficulty levels or fixing bugs. When they got the chance to work on the localization for Magic Knight Rayearth, some of the source code had been lost. They reversed engineered the released Japanese version and reprogramed what was missing.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

They'd have to rebuild the game from the ground up to get rid of the PSP-specific glitches, as they are the result of simply porting the PS version as is.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
kratoscar2008

Post by kratoscar2008 »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:Not sure what he means by non-glitchy. The PSP version retains all glitches except the Matilda Gate and adds it's own new ones. The port is so shoddily done that I really don't want that to be anyone's first experience with the game.
As xelinis said Victor tear down a game if necessary when he want to bring it.

Growlanser generations is an example as i have played both the JP and US version and they are somehow differents thanks to victor changes.

What i meant by the script is that somehow Vic take too much freedom with it and at the end some cool dialogues of the game wont resemble the original script.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

So will this end up being another Kickstarter attempt?

Fans would probably whine why Working Designs removed the Matilda Glitch without realising that it was so shoddily written off from the original Japanese port.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Well, he wasn't even very definite about it happening, and it sounded like the whole thing was contingent on the Class of Heroes 2 project being fully funded. Unless they can extend the deadline, or keep starting over until they succeed, that goal should have failed around twelve hours ago.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

In all honesty I'd rather have Suikoden II as a PSOne Classic rather than the PSP port. While I like the additions and changes to the games on PSP, I'd like it more if Konami or anyone else could wrestle the original game onto PSN since we already have the first one and I quite enjoy playing games on my TV via PS3.
Formerly known as: Gothann