Suikoden 5 silent protagonist

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Punkaiser

Re: Suikoden 5 silent protagonist

Post by Punkaiser »

Lorelai, Lyon, Prince were all born in SY 433 so that makes them 16 in S5
http://www.suikosource.com/history/time ... w_births=1
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Punkaiser wrote:
freshmetal wrote:I wonder... If Roy was able to impersonate the prince so closely that he fooled people who know the prince well, then would it be a safe bet that the prince has a similar awful voice.
What if Roy was also adept at faking voices after some contacts? that ability could be handy for a bandit.
Would be a possibility, I mean he becomes a famous actor and thus has this ability. Gives room to a strange fanfic in which Rox and Chisato have a romance and Roy learns to improves his voice-skills.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Yeah, Zegai's voice didn't suit him either, but thankfully he doesn't say much. I find the character appealing enough to not be put off by his voice!

Aside from Lyon's voice, a lot of her lines were cringeworthy. The part where she talks about Lordlake being full of delicious water or something... And I hate it when she sucks up to the prince about saving the day by coming up with a good name for the castle.
I think in my next game, I'll call it Lyon is an Irritating C*nt castle. See how she likes that!
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Oh, and looking at the timeline - Shoon is a couple of years younger than Roy, but Shoon sounds like a young man. Why do they have Roy sounding like his voice hasn't broken yet??
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:Yeah, Zegai's voice didn't suit him either, but thankfully he doesn't say much. I find the character appealing enough to not be put off by his voice!

Aside from Lyon's voice, a lot of her lines were cringeworthy. The part where she talks about Lordlake being full of delicious water or something... And I hate it when she sucks up to the prince about saving the day by coming up with a good name for the castle.
I think in my next game, I'll call it Lyon is an Irritating C*nt castle. See how she likes that!

Lol....i have named the castle "A**hole Castle" in a previous playthrough,and still Lyon said that Prince saved the day.

Anyway,i think the name that you would choose,is too big...you can call it just "Stupid Lyon" for example,but Lyon will agree with that name,again. The only names that you cannot select,are Boz's and Sialeeds' choices.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

don't forget that Suikoden V has rather loooooong name entry fields, I've called my HQ Lady of the Lake castle before (because, you know, it's in the middle of a lake and Lady Leknaat appears in it! :lol: )
But maybe I will name the castle something in Boz' honour, like Boz kicks Lyon's Ass castle or Boz is more awesome than Dumb Bitch Lyon castle or something 8)
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

The only names that you cannot select,are Boz's and Sialeeds' choices.
Really? That amazes me a bit, will try it out if they kept that in the German version...

(on a side note, Suikoden Tierkreis doesn't allow some names for the hero. I'm pretty sure you cannot name him Simon.)
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Tirerkreis doesn't allow swear words. I wanted to call the castle "Titaness", but couldn't because it contains the word "Tit" (like a boob, the dirty minded programmers). I've used swear words in all the PS games, but couldn't swear in Tierkreis, even though it wasn't actually a swear word, for f#ck!ng hell's sake.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Is that for real? They actually put a naughty-naming filter in a single-player, offline game?
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

yep. I never tried the online features on Tierkreis, I don't know if you can access other players' names and stuff. Oh well. Wonder if I could get away with Big Knockers castle?

PS - I'm getting obsessed with posting about castle names, somebody help me :cry:
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I think when you enter WiFi-Mode, you at least see other players' army names and maybe castle, not sure about the Hero. But they really put some strange filters in there, I mean.. simon? Maybe it means "horsedick" in Malaysian, but why should I care?

Also, I think they should include the japanse VA in future releases. Most of the time, I think they are better and when they're worse I don't even get it.
Alestes

Post by Alestes »

I really think the silent protagonist is the way to go. I find it to be more immersive and gets more connected to the main character. It does allow for some odd moments though, but the good outweights the bad by far IMO. With voices the chance of me "urgh, what horrible voices" is pretty high, for various reasons.
Ness the Mess wrote:The problem with vocal protagonists is things like Tierkreis happen, where my main character is a bumbling idiot. I don't mind of those around me have bad writing, but when my character does it turns me way off.
The Last Remnant, Star Ocean 4, FF12 and others have this problem too. An idiot main character. I really dislike idiot main characters, and it makes it very hard for me to proceed with the game. Seems to be rather common with JRPGs these days, I wish there were more JRPGs where the hero had a brain.

It's an easy way to introduce the player to new things though, the player is (or might be) clueless and the hero is clueless and so the party members explain things. I'm ok with that, usually. The big problem is when the hero do an idiot choice and you have no control over it and the whole screen just scream IT'S A TRAP!, and then the hero proceed to do it anyway, sigh. And then there's that damn catch phrase in Tierkreis too.
freshmetal wrote:I remember the first time I saw FFVII Advent Children. I was so disappointed that so many of the FFVII characters didn't sound like how I imagined them to sound all those years.
Yeah, even when I play western RPGs that offer different voices to choose from, like Dragon Age Origins, there is still no voice that I think fit my character.
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

No character has been worse than Lymsleia.

Brother.....
LadyCyclone

Post by LadyCyclone »

Aerolithe Lion wrote:No character has been worse than Lymsleia.

Brother.....
I hated her, she was irritating beyond belief. She was such a spoiled brat and I'm amazed people prefer her over Lyon.

I'm surprised so many people don't like Lyon; she sort of reminded me of Nanami, except Nanami was much more likable and had a much more bubbly personality.

I personally think the Suikoden 5 hero should have had a voice; it just looked weird to me how everyone else would be talking and he would just make these strange hand/head gestures. I think they made a mistake with his outfit too; it looked far too feminine, a shoulder-cut dress.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Gasp Bite your tongues - Lymsleia is focking awesome!

It took a lot of balls on her part to not cry in front of her captors, after losing both her parents in the same night. She's got bigger balls than her brother! And I love it when she mouths off at Sialeeds! the look on Alenia's face when Lym makes that comment about the queen's knights becoming utterly useless was just priceless!

and the reason people become annoyed with characters like Lyon and Nanami is because those characters essentially become the voice of the main character. So I'm basically a mouse with some hotheaded tomboy deciding what my opinions are. I want a character who speaks for himself, not a mute who lets his whiney bitches do all the talking for him. If you have a main character who is supposed to be worthy of leading an army and possibly ruling a country, then he should be able to give some inspirational/motivational speeches. Having somebody making history-changing decisions with 2 or 3 word responses is really unconvincing and doesn't bring any immersion for me.

Lemmy's edit: Try not to double post please sticky-runes :)