Crowdfunding - a possible future for Suikoden?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Makonuchi

Re: Crowdfunding - a possible future for Suikoden?

Post by Makonuchi »

I was actually thinking of pouring about 30k-40 Dollars to create a game based on Suikoden on much more smaller platform. SOmething like IOS or Android which i think is possible with how advanced those platforms are nowadays.

But then I realized i had to pay Konami and that's probably too expensive.
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

Yeah, those pesky copyrights are always getting in the way. Another problem with doing that is that, since it's not "official" from Konami, some people like myself wouldn't consider it much more than fan-fiction. It may be a fun game experience, but it won't satisfy my yearning for the series to continue because it wouldn't be canon.
PSN: FreshMetal80
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

A crowd fudning/kickstarter certainly may be an avenue in the future - IF it is well organised. But I think we should exhasut all avenues with Konami first. We are still in the first stages with them and a long way to go.
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

Uh, Chris, there's no legal way for us to do that. Any crowdfunding initiative has to come from Konami itself.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Sorry, I should elaborate. That's why I said ''IF it its well organised.'' We would have to have the official backing of Konami first. But I would plan to exhaust all avenues trying to convince them to carry Suikoden forward without the need for a Kickstarter.

Of course, we can still help fund the series with other initiatives other than Kickstarter or even Konami's official backing. But I would like us to be able to work with Konami. It is the most logical way, at present, to bring the series back to fruition imo.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Considering how the Retro City Rampage sequel Kickstarter comes from an indie studio (with the original owner's OK), it's possible to crowdfund the development of new games. However, lest we turn this movement into an indie game studio or ally ourselves with one, we won't ever get Konami's OK for such a project.

If Konami misses the next "game per three years" cycle (should be either end of next year or early 2015), then we can start seriously talking about crowdfunding. Until then, operate under the assumption that they're making another one in-house.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

To say the truth, I never really had faith in kickstarter and such but after seeing Witch Academia (funded in 1 day), Shantae, or Mighty Nº9 (4 focking millons!!!) kickstarters success I'm convinced if Konami starts a kickstarter for Suikoden it would be epic.
Themadcow

Post by Themadcow »

Indeed, Mighty No9 has done incredibly well considering it's not an official Mega Man game (although no-one thinks it isn't) and the Cosmic Star Heroine game looks like it'll easily hit it's target (trading on Suikoden inspiration) so... why not?

The problem really is that Konami don't see Suikoden as a series that needs kickstarting, despite their pretty poor support of the games in recent years.
Battlegrim

Post by Battlegrim »

IP? Internet Protocol? Ingress Protection? Intellectual Property?

It's been a long time since I first started playing Suikoden 1. It's been a dozen years since I'm the Suikoden series. Developing the game to a halt, but I do not. I have means that, if necessary, could help with the start on Kickstarter. So I could help.

The problem is that since Konami should come out the initiative needs contributions to Kickstarter for Suikoden VI, would that be?

So I ask what are the real chances of motivating the company who gave up the product to start working on a sponsorship Kickstarter?