Influences over Konami

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
DoReMi_Vampire

Influences over Konami

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

I suck at economics so I'm posting this in hopes some of you guys out there are better informed on this than me. I've seen that people on this site have mailed Konami on several occasions to ask about new Suikoden-products, last time I checked Konami announced that they weren't planning on working with Suikoden at the moment. It has become pretty clear that, while we are a loving fan-base, our voices and wallets are also a bit too small to guarantee a profitable new release of SVI.

Then it occured to me today that there are some games out there that are being pushed out because of the stock-market. If what I hear is correct people basically buy and sell their stocks in game-companies based on the knowledge that there's gonna be new releases of games that's either gonna make the companies lose money or get awesomely rich on these products.
So basically what I'm wondering is how much power do the stock-holders have over Konami and it's interest in Suikoden?

*Goes into Light Yagami-mode* Let's say we all on this site decided to buy stocks in Konami and then, using our stronger status within the company, insisted on making another game. MUAHAHAHAHAHA :twisted: Just as planned!!!
- I've got a warrior's sword with your name on it.

- Of Course I Know Chinchirorin!
Xelinis

Re: Influences over Konami

Post by Xelinis »

Absolutely, let's pull all our funds together and use it to buy that 0.0001% of the company that we can afford. That's totally enough, right?
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Let's pull out some math I'm quite sure isn't right (too early to double-check):

Konami Corp. has 143.5 million shares on the Tokyo Stock Exchange right now.
Each share is worth 1645 Yen. Translated to USD that's about $20.

Full control of a company happens when you buy 50% + 1 shares, so let's just say 50%.

143.5 / 2 * 20 * 1 million = 1,435,000,000$

So basically, we'd need about 1.5 billion dollars to control Konami at will. Good luck with that!
Formerly known as: Gothann
DoReMi_Vampire

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

I was kidding about the last part obviously. But thanks for the info anyway.
- I've got a warrior's sword with your name on it.

- Of Course I Know Chinchirorin!
The Director

Post by The Director »

Although buying the company is really impractical, buying the licenses for the series would be, still impractical, but less so.

Of course then you have to find a team to produce the game, fund that etc.

There would be a lot of pain and money going around to do this.

I can of course only suppose this was more of a roundabout way of asking how valueable Konami and Suikoden are.

I'd be quite interested to see a graph of Konami's income per year and what part of that is Suikoden.

Do they still make money from the series?
Flufflez

Post by Flufflez »

in order for them to not still make money from the series, they would have to sell zero copies of games, cds, etc. in addition to no one in the world legally using any images, sounds, etc. from the games (royalties). not to mention they just created a new pachislot that is suikoden4 themed.

now, whatever they are making off of suikoden at the moment is probably negligible in their minds, and if they only cared about their current financial situation, i'll bet they wouldn't hesitate to sell the series for the right price. i think they recently renewed their copyright or something though?
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

That trademark (not copyright) was to obtain the name Genso Suikoden in the United States. Konami never finished working on the appllication and the whole process was abandoned because they didn't correct their mistakes in time.
Formerly known as: Gothann