Time to beg Konami to bring Suikoden 2 to PSN

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
KC_MCDOHL

Re: Time to beg Konami to bring Suikoden 2 to PSN

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

I don't think they would make English ports of Card stories and the Gaidens, tbh, but I seen others say that here in this thread so though I would include it. Thats my point, wouldn't it be a good idea for us all to throw our ideas together, pick the best/most realistic ones, and then progress from there?
Last edited by KC_MCDOHL on Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

KC_MCDOHL wrote:I don't think they would make English ports of Card stories and the Gaidens, tbh, but I seen others say that here in this thread so though I would include it. Thats my point, wouldn't be a good idea for us all to throw our ideas together, pick the best/most realistic ones, and then progress from there?
k, I agree. These games would be great for download-content, so we should ask for them anyway. We should ask for Card stories be availableon the Wii-Store or the 3DS-store, maybe that would be successful!?
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

I dont know, maybe focusing on one thing first and see if we get a result and push for the other things would be a better strategy. Asking for SII on the USA PSN would be the most realistic plan as they already have the first game on it. If we ask for Gaidens, Cards stories, novels etc it might come across a bit...insatiable (for a lack of a better word).

As Antimatzist has said about the translation errors, i would need an extra reason to buy the games if they ever did get released on the European PSN even if it was just a retranslation, a HD upgrade, or trophies or whatever. Its not enough to just buy a game that i have and have completed countless times again for the pure sake of supporting the series. It needs something for existing fans to want to buy it as well as attract new fans and i alone on this?
If it's not found out, a lie becomes the truth.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

I'm not too sure. It sounds like the better plan, doing one thing at a time but, from my experience, any result is hard to come by. So it MAY be better to just write an essay asking for a bunch of stuff. Its a tough call.

Yeah, I think you have a good point suggesting that a re-release of any old games should have something new to attract old fans. But, I loved the translation errors lol they where lovely. They added a certain charm to the game. I feel like the Japanese missed out! ''All this fighting in front of a children'' ...classic.
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

Yeah they are funny i admit but if i'm going to pay to play through a game for the hundredth time i would like to read what its actually meant to say. Then i could have a choice between playing the right and wrong versions. I would rather a HD upgrade but i assume that a retranslation would be easier, even if they did only correct the blatantly wrong parts. I'm not familiar with PSN and trophies but if they are anything like xbox achievements then setting little challenges might make it worth playing again. Say a trophy for collecting all the farm animals, Beating Wack a mole on the hardest setting, completing the cook off side quest, beating Luca without losing any of the battles with Flik and Victor, choosing Kasumi and choosing Valeria (a cheap way to make you play the game AGAIN) i could go on all day but that kind of thing might make it a bit fresher.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Your actualy making me want to play them again
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

But, I loved the translation errors lol they where lovely.
Well, you might love them, but the German translation was........ terrible. Really, it was sooo messed up. "Chainmail" was translated as "Kettenpost" which is the direct translation of "chain" and "mail". It's horrible, half Gregminster speaks french and so on.

But I don't think they would retranslate the games. If they were willing to do tat, they should put the PSP-Versions of the games translated on PSN.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Antimatzist wrote:
Well, you might love them, but the German translation was........ terrible. Really, it was sooo messed up. "Chainmail" was translated as "Kettenpost" which is the direct translation of "chain" and "mail". It's horrible, half Gregminster speaks french and so on.

But I don't think they would retranslate the games. If they were willing to do tat, they should put the PSP-Versions of the games translated on PSN.

Wow! really? I had no idea. I always had a love hate relationship with that guy in SII that seems to have an amazing secret to share with you, you pay him hard cash and all you get is !"£$%^&*()__{)(*&^%$£"! lol so annoying ....but genius XD

I really dont see why they dont have SII on PSN already. And why isnt SI on the European PSN? It just makes no sense to me. Typical Konami though. They could make ammends, as well as doing the whole world a favour, by releasing all Suikodens (including gaidens) up to SIII on PSN. Europe should still get the opportunity to purchase SIII legally, I think. A port of card stories would be so easy for them to do as well. It could be yet another pre-release to build up hype for an SVI.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Antimatzist wrote:

More or less also the italian version has an horrible tranlsation xd. There is about a grammatical error in every phrase. Just for example the saving screen (consider that italian No is equal to the english one) is something like this: Vuoi salvare? Si/Non (Do you want to save? Yes/Non) :|.
Besides there where mistakes with male/female adjectives. In my first run I didn't understand if some characters where male or female lol
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

:lol: Yeah, its confusing enough trying to tell which gender the characters are without the translation mistakes, i thought that Wakaba was a dude for so long.
DrinkySmurf

Post by DrinkySmurf »

I only need a ps1 version to be happy. Not sure how they managed the S1 PSN port, but I would settle for that. More than anything, I want for someone in Konami to respond, even negatively to these petitions. I want to think our wishes are at least being read, if not acted on.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Let me run through a technical overview of what should be happening to create a PSOne Classic, then what hoops should be gone through to get it on PSN:

Technical
  • Find the PSOne master/fully functional copy of the game.
  • Convert/Rip the game onto a standard ISO image format.
  • Find the manual publishing file/Find a clean manual and scan it.
  • Convert the manual into the PSN manual format (mostly an image based system per page, much like PDFs).
  • Package the ISO and manual into the PSN "EBOOT" format.
  • Apply security signature to the EBOOT (also usually happens when the EBOOT is being made).
Sounds pretty easy, right? That's about 20 minutes worth of work once you find a proper copy of the game and its manual. The problematic part is in the legal section:

Approval for PSOne Classics (US)
  • Research any license clearances, if any (music, art, character designs, voice acting, vocal songs, programming code snippets, etc.) and seek approval from all parties involved. [Konami]
  • Research any legal issues that might be tied to the re-release of the game. (lawsuits claiming additional profits from any new copy sold, etc.) [Konami]
  • Research any trademark/copyright issues that are blatant enough to be noticed by the legal team. [Konami, Sony]
  • Test the game to see if it works right on the PS3 and PSP. [Konami, Sony]
  • Fix any outstanding issues with emulation, if necessary. [Sony]
  • Seek release approval and publishing rights from Sony for a PSN release. [Konami]
  • Submit the game for ESRB approval. [Sony]
  • Schedule the release date of the PSOne Classic. [Sony]
This could take months, if not years to complete. Look at Breath of Fire IV: It's releasing next week after months of Capcom saying they were looking into it.

Here's the worst part: if the game doesn't work on either PS3 or PSP, they need to wait for Sony to fix it or simply make the game platform-specific, which is a bad thing these days. Since Suikoden 2 had a number of bugs in the North American version, those same bugs might be mistakenly caught as PS3/PSP-specific bugs when in reality they never worked in the first place. It would then require Konami and Sony compare the game on both a PSOne and the PS3/PSP to find that out.
Formerly known as: Gothann
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

KC_MCDOHL wrote:Your actualy making me want to play them again
If they did have trophies it would make it more worth it to play through the game multiple times to unlock them all. Well a little more worth it. For example you could get a trophies for completing Clive's Quest, taken the alternate path at Tinto (when Shu bitch slaps you) and recruiting Abizboah's entire family.

Also some other trophies i thought they could award are for defeating 108 highlanders to get the coloured intro, recruiting all the squirrels, beating the cook off side quest, getting the best ending, collect every appraisable item, another trading challenge like Gordon's and this would be the longest most annoying one: complete every one of Richmonds investigations. Ok maybe not that last one...
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

lol I actualy have a file where I got all his investiagations. It did take ages but I didnt mind. It was during my Suikoden peak so I didnt mind having a file that lasted so long. I didn't want it to end, really. But yeah ...where he hells my trophy? xD
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

:lol: That must have taken years! I wouldn't have the patience for that, it takes about fifteen minuets for him to do one investigation!