Why my hopes are down on suikoden 6

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
burgler09

Why my hopes are down on suikoden 6

Post by burgler09 »

I hate to be the negative guy, but I am just thinking that the reason we haven't seen anything recently is budgeting. The RPG games now have graphics that are superior to almost any game on the market, and to do this its expensive. Look at Final Fantasy, they have budgets of 20 million dollars + and sell 2 million+ copies on opening day, they can afford to make the game and put everything into it. Suikoden sells what... 200k in a lifetime? It is hard to put big money into a game that doesnt have huge sales, and it would take a lot because of how in depth the suikoden series is. In the end they are probably balancing it out, they might WANT to make the game, but they also need the money and don't want to half ass the game and kill the series. All we can do is pray that it is relased

Does anyone else think since the ps3 is so powerful, to somehow incorporate all the continents in one game, and see harmonia?!
Ashietaka

Re: Why my hopes are down on suikoden 6

Post by Ashietaka »

those are some good points. RPG's also don't sell so well now adays for some reason, just the generation of people only like FPS's it seems. I'm a fan myself, but I love all kinds, RPG's, fighting, etc. The budget very well could be the reason. My suggestion to them is NOT go the route of trying to compete with FF with best 3d graphics, why can't they go back to beautiful sprites, OR, they could do cell shading like the TOD series does. Surely that could work, and be much easier and cost effective for them.
Anyway, it would be a shame for the next game to be on DS. I don't like hand helds, and it feels like a big step back. Hopefully they take the risk so to speak and make the game for PS3, they should do it for 360 too, that way they can get more money off of it
kati

Post by kati »

I agree Ashietaka, i played Tierkreis, and although it wasn't too bad, i don't think they should put it on a handheld, and if they ever do make 6, which im also doubting as well, they should go back to the 2d sprites because suikoden makes it's basis on story, not graphics. I'm sure that if they do a 2d, they could maybe do all of Harmonia, but that prolly wont be made until the final or at least 2nd to last installment. But with this generation of gamers dont have either the time or the attention span that it takes for an rpg anymore, and that's sad, but COD, and all those FPS are just a fad, but i hope that if they make 6, it's not gonna take 12 years+ development like Duke Nukem (which was crap btw) did. Konami just needs to target the demographic like what the WWE is failing on now, but don't lose hope, something will happen soon
DoReMi_Vampire

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

Indeed, the budget can't live up to FF but the developers decided to put more emphasis on story as they were making SII, and it turned out to be among the best in the series. I personally don't think Konami needs to rush to making SVI, after all, they have several formats to make Suikoden-games in. Such as the Suikogaiden or Tacticts-games. These could be made with shorter stories and could be available for download-purchase, which might be a better market-plan to get interest back into the series IMO until SVI finally gets made.
- I've got a warrior's sword with your name on it.

- Of Course I Know Chinchirorin!
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Yea, I believe that that is the very reason we have not seen a major Suikoden title in such a long time. Budget. As you said, the creators might want to make a new Suikoden, in fact they probably think of it often, but if the big executives in suits dont see it as being profitable for Konami - then they won't make it. Also, if you look at the sales of the Suikoden games since Murayamas departure, they aren't exactly inspiring.

But yeah, as others have said, there is stuff that Konami can be doing before releasing a Suikoden VI i.e. bringing Suikoden II to the PSN or the suggestoin made by DoReMi_Vampire. I think these ideas are a sensible business approach as, not only will it test the water to see what the current markets' appetite is for Suikoden, it may also generate a buzz in the run up to a Suikoden VI.

Konami can definantyl be doing much more with Suikoden, regardless of budget, but they have always been that way with Suikoden. They, like, never advertise the series, for example. Although that is a costly venture which may not even pay off. Also, with the current tragedies and financial devastation of Japan, things don't look too good for the smaller games market. Unless someone like Murayama could come up with that ingenious game again.

There is also something you could be doing to help, burgler09, if you think it is worth doing. Come and join us here: http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 36&t=12219

Perhaps increased fan support is exactly what the future of Suikoden needs at this present moment :wink:
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

DoReMi_Vampire wrote:they have several formats to make Suikoden-games in. Such as the Suikogaiden or Tacticts-games. These could be made with shorter stories and could be available for download-purchase, which might be a better market-plan to get interest back into the series IMO until SVI finally gets made
Yeah they should expand on the games we have now, like a gaiden style game in the Grassland or a tactics style game set in New Armes, i would download them. I really dont understand why Konami tried to revive Vandal Hearts the other year on Xbox live, surely that series has less fans that this one.

They cant use that new art style they used for Vandal Hearts for a Suikoden game though that would be terrible! I love the first two VH's but i cant bring myself to buy this new third one it looks like some bad knockoff of a Disney film. Wheres the being sick in my mouth smiley icon when you need one?
If it's not found out, a lie becomes the truth.
Silverberg

Post by Silverberg »

Wait until Konami releases a Suikoden fighting game . . . . Thomas may have some pretty pathetic fighting stats, but at least Jeane's boobs will probably bounce alot.

and I mean this as a joke. I'd probably barf if I saw something like this released.
"Black Rune, pink balloon! This guy killed Gremio!!!"
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

gilgamesh31 wrote:Yeah they should expand on the games we have now, like a gaiden style game in the Grassland or a tactics style game set in New Armes, i would download them. I really dont understand why Konami tried to revive Vandal Hearts the other year on Xbox live, surely that series has less fans that this one.
That's exactly why they revived the series. Vandal Hearts lends itself to a mature audience, which could have been great and would have worked if done right. Unfortunately, Konami outsourced its development and the game was ended up being the worst in the series.

Anyway, on-topic. Suikoden games come out ever three to four years. We're at year 3 since the last major announcement (yes, Tierkreis was a "major" game) in Japan, so we have about a year left before anyone should be getting nervous about the next game's release.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

We already have plenty of threads for this topic.