remake suikoden1 & 2

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Iesous

Re: remake suikoden1 & 2

Post by Iesous »

piano_roller wrote:as i mentioned above, atleast if they dont re release S2, it will still have that cult status value, which may actualy make the game have a certain mystique for the people who have not heard of suikoden... i mean if you search up suikoden on ebay, the first things that show up are suikoden 2 games selling for over 300$- that says a lot about the quality of the series to anyone who has never heard of suikoden... it commands respect from gamers that a PS1 game is worth that much money... that fact alone can draw more people in the long run, into trying out the series.
What is the point of them seeing how valuable the series is and being interested in trying it out if they can't ever play the game? It simply makes no sense for any of us to be worried about how the ebay value of S2 will go down. Unless you're one of the people trying to sell it on ebay for $300 and you're worried about Konami cutting into your market share. I'm sorry, but I frankly don't care whether the ebay sellers make a lot of money off of the series.
ttfii

Post by ttfii »

This reminds me of people that quit liking a band if they get commercial success. Or better yet, people that quit liking a movie if it's on the IMDB Top 250.
The Director

Post by The Director »

Personally I could never get into the Final Fantasy's. I've tried several of the supposedly "good" ones and none have done what Suikoden has done (maybe with exception of 4).

Although I like the idea of a revamp, new graphics etc. it would be more difficult to portray a silent protaganist. Not to mention how much I hate English dubs of Japanese. It might be trying to keep costs down but it has pretty much always sucked in my experience. Even in Suikoden. Which is why I liked the original 3 which had no voice acting. 4 and 5 I had to remove my headphones during the voice acting.

In terms of marketing, revamping Suikoden 1 and 2 as one game would be exceptionally useful to introduce new fans into the old series.
But to do that you need to have new fans, and things like Suikoden Tierkreis I don't think are going to bring those fans.

If Suikoden ever wants to come out of "cult" status, proper advertising would be required (some products need pushing) and Suikoden 6 would have to make slight reference to past games (I liked the puppet show in Suikoden 5 of 4).
Suikoden 6 would also have to be a huge success rather than the mediocre results recently. It would have to really be awe inspiring or revolutionary, which, although I don't doubt the Suikoden team could do it, I think is a bit beyond Konami.
Nothing against them, but looking at the list of games they produce a very small amount which is outside their comfort zone, and even they aren't particuarly original.

Again I might of said this before but I just don't think Konami can really unearth the potential this series has.

Also note I don't have anything against the "cult" status, it's just that in terms of production, few companies will produce cult status anythings, similar to films. Especially not Konami.
piano_roller

Post by piano_roller »

Xelinis wrote:It will turn a profit if released on PSN. It's digital distribution, the manufacturing cost is ZERO and the licensing fee for a PSN release is relatively small.
konami probably thinks they have more important things to devote time to... most likely they are busy working on newer games. Im not a business executive, but these "small" PSN releases require lawyers and lots of paperwork that can be devoted elsewhere.
What is the point of them seeing how valuable the series is and being interested in trying it out if they can't ever play the game? It simply makes no sense for any of us to be worried about how the ebay value of S2 will go down. Unless you're one of the people trying to sell it on ebay for $300 and you're worried about Konami cutting into your market share. I'm sorry, but I frankly don't care whether the ebay sellers make a lot of money off of the series.
The logic makes sense if you view things in hindsight- like 10 years down the road if Suikoden is still popular, those suikoden 2 games will be worth a boat load of money. It will give respect to the series and make potential fans wonder why the game is worth 300$, rather then being a crap mainstream game like golden sun where the out of print cartridges sell for less today then it did back then.

And like i said above, this game re released isnt gonna sell... its better just to let it keep the mystique factor. Suikoden 2 is truly a one of a kind game- looking at the reviews in gamefaqs, it got 10/10 on almost every review with many 9/10's- which is really high for a non mainstream game. That fact along with the inflated ebay prices, makes this game look like a holy grail to rpg fans.

if they are really interested in the game, make them pay whatever it costs on ebay. I can guarantee they will enjoy the game a lot more knowing it costs 300$...
Silverberg

Post by Silverberg »

Instead of redoing S1 & S2 (which hasn't really worked out too well for FF7 fans) they should make the next installments of Suikoden in the old format. Give me 32 bit (it was 32 bit right?) versions of Suikoden VI. The games were very well made, and have a lot longer lasting impression on us than say 3, 4, and 5. I think when they got too fancy, they lost the charm that made us fall in love with the series.

I've mentioned in a different thread that Capcom did this kind of revamp of the old stuff with Mega Man on the PSN. So I'm not in favor of reinventing the original games, but to take the series forward in the classic style.
"Black Rune, pink balloon! This guy killed Gremio!!!"