It's time to Ask Konami about Suikoden 6

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Piisuke

Re: It's time to Ask Konami about Suikoden 6

Post by Piisuke »

LanceHeart wrote:
Raww Le Klueze wrote:We know the outcome of any game: the player wins. No one ever thought Frey wasn't going to rescue Lym, no one ever suspected the Liberation Army wouldn't topple the Empire in the end, everyone knew Luca Blight would be taken down eventually, we all knew this was going to happen, claiming that the Succession War wouldn't be interesting because we know how it ends is silly.

Yeah, we know Barbarosa wins the Succession War, the point is, how do we get there? The story is in the details, not the ending.
I think the bigger problem with the Succession War is that we know so much *more* than the standard "we know the player wins if he grinds/knows what he's doing". We know of the relationships between characters that survived the war and know of quite a few deceased ones as well. We even know that one of the most dramatic moments is going to be the Kalekka Incident.

We already know way more detail than we should about that war, probably for the very reason of them not planning on making its events into a game in the first place.
We also knew that Naked Snake was Big Boss and Solid Snake's father, yet MGS3 told in such a powerful way that it didn't matter what we already knew. It is not about what we know. It is about how it is told. We know what happens with Barbarossa, we know what happens with Claudia, we know what happens with Teo. That means it could be that much more powerful, because we know about their tragic ends. We can grow to like these characters and if the story is told correctly, which I'm sure Konami is capable of, than it could be a great game. It is all about the delivery.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Darkbeat wrote:Really the Succession War would be the perfect choice for either a numbered installment or a Rhapsodia style side story, when you think about it.

Those who have yet to play a Suikoden would have the perfect game to start, as it would be the first prequel of Suikoverse (to come out later) which is intrinsically tied to the games that proceed it. (ie Suikoden IV and V were both prequels set in Suikoverse, but their ties to I-III were more tenuous)

On the other side of the coin, those who have been around from the beginning would jump at the chance to see old favorites returning and perhaps see some new light shed on lingering questions. The Succession War is literally a gold mine of character and plot development for characters and situations that were solely lacking.

Yeah, thats been my thoughts exactly for years. God ...I really hope they do that. Although I would be more than happy with any main instalment that just gets back to the point. Maybe we should make that poll and send the results to Konami?
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

While I wouldn't be disappointed at all with a succession wars game, I would like it do be a side story at most, rather than a main installment. In literature, film, and games, of course it is the journey that matters, not so much where you end up or whether or not you know the plotline. And it would certainly be fun to see Georg in action again, plus we could learn more about the Sovereign Rune and its uh. . . let's say "personality." Also, for potential new fans of the series, it would not matter how much we know about the war, they would see a trailer, read a good review, then pick up the game and have their mind blown, hopefully. And we could see a large increase in the Suikoden fanbase.

On the other hand, succession wars have been pretty well-trodden already. And I would like to see a new region and setting in a Suikoden VI, with new Runes in play, as we have seen in every main installment so far. One of the cool things about Suikoden III, IV, and V was getting to see other cultures and how they differed from the cultures of the Former Hamonia / Toran / Dunan region. Though I must say V kinda lacked in that a bit, as Falenans still have a generic culture, but Armes and Nageara look like cool places to explore.

Other than the succession wars, there are other places we have never seen, most notably Kanakan and Camaro, which are very close to places already established. How about a Roundier Haia back story? We know next to nothing about him/her. How were the free knights of Camaro established and why? etc.
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

Rooks wrote:While I wouldn't be disappointed at all with a succession wars game, I would like it do be a side story at most, rather than a main installment. In literature, film, and games, of course it is the journey that matters, not so much where you end up or whether or not you know the plotline. And it would certainly be fun to see Georg in action again, plus we could learn more about the Sovereign Rune and its uh. . . let's say "personality." Also, for potential new fans of the series, it would not matter how much we know about the war, they would see a trailer, read a good review, then pick up the game and have their mind blown, hopefully. And we could see a large increase in the Suikoden fanbase.

On the other hand, succession wars have been pretty well-trodden already. And I would like to see a new region and setting in a Suikoden VI, with new Runes in play, as we have seen in every main installment so far. One of the cool things about Suikoden III, IV, and V was getting to see other cultures and how they differed from the cultures of the Former Hamonia / Toran / Dunan region. Though I must say V kinda lacked in that a bit, as Falenans still have a generic culture, but Armes and Nageara look like cool places to explore.

Other than the succession wars, there are other places we have never seen, most notably Kanakan and Camaro, which are very close to places already established. How about a Roundier Haia back story? We know next to nothing about him/her. How were the free knights of Camaro established and why? etc.
I completely agree with everything you just said.
Ashietaka

Post by Ashietaka »

Ok, it's been a while since I've posted on here. I just want to thank everyone again for posting so much on this forum, and this post that I created. It makes me so happy to see all the responses. Please keep it up and stay positive.

Ok, so I just wan to say, HELL YEAH!!!!! SO SO SO HAPPY Konami is making a new Suikoden game. It has gotten to the point where I didn't really care what kind of Suikoden game it is, just the fact that they're working on one. Now, I am disappointed that this is a PSP game, since I don't own a PSP. Also, just like everyone else, it is not Suikoden 6. So I'm just keeping my fingers crossed now that they'll have this game as a downloadable PSP game, so that way I can get a PS Vita and play it on that instead. I don't want to buy an older hand held, but I'll gladly buy the new one for this game. Like KC has said, if we support this new game, there's a higher chance that we'll see 6 in the near future, and hopefully on the PS3, though one on the PS4 wouldn't bother me, that's still a ways away, and the sooner 6 comes out, the better I say. So please everyone, try your best to stay positive about this new Suikoden game, don't bash it too hard, don't complain to Konami, be thankful they're making this, and buy the game, we need to show Konami that we want Suikoden. To them, sales numbers will prove that. So encourage your friends to support this game as well, try to get people hyped up, though I know it can be hard for some, I'm thinking about one of my friends who has a PSP, and I have no idea if he'll go buy it, but talk about it anyways.

I'm really looking forward to some footage of this game. We can't make any judgment yet just off this trailer. I hope the game will have the same charm as the older Suikoden games. Just keep writing to Konami, be it their FB page, or e:mails. Let them know you love Suikoden and thank them as well for making this new game.

I hear a lot of people talking about where they'd like the next game to be placed in. I agree, I don't care if we know the outcome of certain events, it's the journey that counts, i'd like to play through other perspectives as well even if I know some of the events or characters. Actually, I kind of think that would be awesome to see some things done with previous characters, Flick and Victor anyone? Gosh, loved those guys from Suikoden 2.
Flufflez

Post by Flufflez »

s6 with flik and viktor as old men would rule. i would prefer some of the unexplored areas that aren't too far away to be involved (like kanakan and harmonia), leaving the potential to revisit old sites.
AGENT

Post by AGENT »

Guess we have to say goodbye to our original Suikoden story. Goodbye McDohl,Riou,Silverberg family,Viki,Jeane,Yuber,etc. We'll always remember you all in our heart..
Keep on moving forward
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Or ...we could campaign to try and ensure that doesnt happen?
JiggleBiscuits

Post by JiggleBiscuits »

Flufflez wrote:s6 with flik and viktor as old men would rule. i would prefer some of the unexplored areas that aren't too far away to be involved (like kanakan and harmonia), leaving the potential to revisit old sites.
I could see them ending up as political leaders somewhere, even though they hate it, yet people want them to do it and view them favourably because of their judgments.

That's what seems to happen to a lot of characters.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

it would be hard for people to ask mercs to become political figures, they used to kill people for money. they would kill the voters if the price was right!
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

I don't see them becoming political leaders at all. That's why they keep leaving and fighting elsewhere, to avoid stuff like that. I'd follow them in battle, but Viktor's not the kind of guy I'd expect to pay attention in conferences and make important political decisions >.<
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Viktor is your guy when it comes to fighting. But leading? Just look what happened at the mercenary place. He didn't even look out for his toys and that symbol...

Flik COULD very well have potential to be a political figure, but I don't think he's cut out for it in the long run, his passion seems to lie elsewhere.
Flufflez

Post by Flufflez »

well flik is from warrior's village so i could see him returning there and becoming a leader of sorts there, then playing a minor role in another game at a later age. that way he is still a leadership figure and has to become involved politically without being a politician. whether or not viktor would tag along or find some role of his own within the warrior's village i couldn't say. maybe since he dumped the sds he would become a warrior and name a new sword after anabelle(although you may have to be born in warrior's village to be allowed to do that, idk).

personally though, i'd rather see those two in a different setting than what i describe above if they were to ever reappear in the series.
yuberluc

Post by yuberluc »

The rumors suikoden team are breaking up, well good bye for all the good stories and all the great characters that have been lived in our hearts.. :evil:
Chaos will suit me just fine
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

yuberluc wrote:The rumors suikoden team are breaking up, well good bye for all the good stories and all the great characters that have been lived in our hearts.. :evil:
But you know that they are working on a new (though unnumbered) Suikoden title?