It's time to Ask Konami about Suikoden 6

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
yuberluc

Re: It's time to Ask Konami about Suikoden 6

Post by yuberluc »

yeah, but hopefully they must continue the previous story rather than make a new one..

all the mysteries are unsolved! (Hikusaak, Cyndar, Cloning)
Chaos will suit me just fine
reinhart

Post by reinhart »

http://suikoden.wikia.com/wiki/Flame_Champion

How about the story of Flame Champion of Suikoden 6? Hmm
yuberluc

Post by yuberluc »

i agree reinhart, it's a story that need to be told by the Konami, we could know how's geddoe< Flame Champion and Wyatt got their true runes..
Chaos will suit me just fine
Janoosen

Post by Janoosen »

Whew, read all the pages up until this one. Quite an interesting thread.

Glad to hear about the new Suikoden, but not too enthusiastic about it being on PSP as I don't have one. Seems like I'll have to invest in one eventually. And good work to those of you who fought valiantly in the campaigning. Even though I'm the kind of person who sits back and waits the enthusiasm of all this even kick started my engines up a bit by simply reading.

As for the setting of the newest addition in the Suikoden series I'm personally hoping it'll take place in Harmonia. The Succession War is intriguing and all but it kind of feels like Harmonia is the "big cheese" so to speak as they're one of the central pieces on the chess board when it comes to the True Runes. It's by far one of the regions in Suikoden that intrigues me the most and that I want to see. And seriously, am I the only one who tried to somehow make Riou in Suikoden II magically float over the mountain in Highland's territory to Harmonia?

As for Suikoden 6 being about the Flame Champion. I dunno...is it really necessary? You pretty much find out the story about him and the Fire Bringer during the course of Suikoden III, I don't see the necessity to pick it up from there. I want something new, but that's my opinion.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Haha! Glad it inspired you Janoosen :) And, yes! I remember trying my hardest to get to Harmonia! As well as trying to get to the City-State in SI and get out the Gregminster gate in SII to explore The Toran Republic! :D

I feel its time to update things here.

The ''Suikoden Campiagn'' has been modest at best for my part, as far as Konami is concerned. I have been trying to get in contact with many Konami employees (mostly from Konami America), ranging from Quality Assurance Testers to Lead Developers, to see if they can help us with our cause. I have sent out messages to over 300 employees, speaking directly with atleast 50 and with ''assurances'' of help from around 10. That is really all I've been doing to try and strengthen ties with Konami.

Most of my energy has been spent gathering my support and ''potential recruits'' in order to reach Konami with higher numbers. I've spoken with almost 1000 fellow fans (so far) to see if they have interest emaling Konami about the future of the Suikoden series. I have no idea how many of them will do so..

However I am greatly pleased at the reaction I have gained thus far. Even if 1/4 of those people email Konami, I would be elated! Hell, even if a small fraction, say 50, of those fellow fans decide to hit Konami with emails - then thats still 50 more emails than Konami is used to recieving about the Suikoden series.

I can write as many well worded emails as I please to Konami. But I believe Konami will not heed those words utill they are coming from a multitude of people. Keep up the good work everyone who has contributed!

With that said, here is the current email that I have sent around Konami. I understand that I may recieve critcism for this email, as I am seen to be taking on the title of ''elected speaker'' for the whole of the Suikoden fandom, as well as some other potential extreme sentences. However, I assure you that I represent the majority of voices of the Suikoden fandom that I have spoken too. Not only that, but I sent around a scaled down version of this email back in November. But due to the lame responses I recieved, I decided to use more powerfull wording this time...

Dear Sir/Madam,

It is my sincerest hope that this email does not get brushed aside or mishandled by busy customer service desk agents. I hope this email finds the right people.

I am writing to you with extreme satisfaction about the announcement of the new Suikoden game. It is great to know that the series is not dead! I am very gratefull and would like to thank you for not giving up on the series, or its fans. Thankyou!!

However, there is still much concern amongst fans over the future of our beloved series. Most fans are anxious to see a main installment Suikoden set back on the familiar Suikoden world that we all know and love (and not in some random world within the Suikoden 'Infinity'). It is far too early to make snap judgements based on Genso Suikoden: Tsumugareshi Hyakunen no Toki's
recent release but the vast majority of fans seem pretty dissapointed that this new game is not set somewhere within the familiar geography of Suikoden, as was the case with Suikoden Tierkries.
I understand that it simply may not be economicaly feasible for Konami to release a main Suikoden title, nor give the series the true attention that it deserves, at this present time. Nevertheless, I do hope that your biggest stakeholders, your fans, have been listened to.

As may already be to your attention, there has been quite a sizeable campaign, here in the West, amongst Suikoden fans to help Konami see the size and dedication of our fanbase. We hope that our campaigning will show Konami not to give up on the Suikoden series. We feel it is entirely necessary to establish a relationship with Konami in order that both the fans and Konami alike can properly profit from the Suikoden series, in the future. What I mean by this is for Konami to listen to the collective voice of the Suikoden fandom in order to create games that not only satisfy the loyal fanbase but also bring in new fans. Therefore the fans are profiting out of this by playing enjoyable games (the kind of game/s they want to see) and Konami will profit out of increased sales. I have been at the forefront of this campaign since the beggining and believe there is still much to do, even with a new Suikoden just released on February 9th. We believe that, together, both the fandom and Konami can achieve this!

Far from telling Konami how to run itself, I am instead proposing some suggestions (below) that the majority of Suikoden fans, both inside and outside of Japan, are wishing for.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. For Konami to make a main installment Suikoden, either set during ''The Succession Wars'' or after Suikoden III. Most fans want to see the Suikoden storyline progress and therefore be set in a timeline after the events of Suikoden III. However, many fans fear that a game set after SIII (most likely in Harmonia) would/should be the last and final Suikoden in the series. Therefore, it has been suggested that a Suikoden game set during The Succession Wars would be an excelent choice that would help extend the life of the series. Not only that, but it would also give Konami an ideal opportunity to experiment creating a new main title Suikoden before venturing towards Harmonia. A game set during The Succession Wars would also highly excite, please and appease old fans of the series whilst bringing in new ones. However, the most important point to consider here (as is agreed amongst all fans) is for Konami to set the next Suikoden game within the main Suikoden world and familiar timeline.

2. If Konami are to continue making spin off Suikoden games, then for those games to be explore the normal Suikoden geography. The geography of the main Suikoden world is so huge that, even with many new Suikoden installments, it is unlikely to be explored fully. Therefore, most fans see little sense in venturing off onto new planets entirely. Why make a Suikoden exploring the Infinity when you can explore Kanakan?

3. Suikoden II on PSN and XBL worldwide. This really should not cost Konami too much money and most fans are confused as to why this has not been done already.

4. Suikoden I on PSN and XBL worldwide. As you know, this has already been done in Japan and North America on PSN. It has already been translated for the American market so why not branch out and make it available worldwide? Even if only in English, Konami is surely going to profit from making Suikoden I available to other English speaking countries.

5. A Suikoden collections bundle containing all games and, therefore, making them available again worldwide. Even if it was a download only package, I'm sure this would not be too expensive and/or hard for Konami to achieve. Many would love to see HD remakes also (much in the same vein as what is being done with the Metal Gear Solid series). This would also allow players in Europe to purchase Suikoden III legally which I'm sure both Konami and the fans would prefer.

6. Translation of the original Suikoden manga novels. Perhaps a costly adventure for Konami achieve. But it would also be a great way to advertise a new Suikoden game, re-make or re-release. Adverts could be placed at the back of such novels. Also, new Suikoden games could come with adverts of the novels.

7. Attempt to bring back Yoshitaka Murayama and Miki Higashino. Perhaps the most important point to consider. Most fans feel the game has ''lost its way'' since the departure of Mr Murayama. Mr Murayama was the mastermind behind the original Suikodens as well as the man who created such an epic storyline. Mr Murayama no doubt has much more of the Suikoden story in his mind. He could help steer the series back on track as well as unlocking key mysteries within the storyline. I understand he is working freelance now, Konami really should make him an offer he can't refuse. Ms Higashino, also, has been sorely missed. Between these two members of staff (Murayama and Higashino), a Suikoden feel was created which the Suikoden world has been lacking ever since. Although most fans are highly impressed with Norikazu Miura's work, it would be a wise move to bring Miki Higashino back to Konami. Even if Ms Higashino and Mr Miura worked together to compose the Suikoden soundtracks.

8. For the Suikoden fandom to be contacted by a Konami representative after the release of every new Suikoden game. From
there, we could be asked what we liked about the game, what we did not like, what we think needs improvement and what we expect from future releases of the series.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I highlighted point 8. as I believe that this is the most important point for Konami to take note of, out of everything suggested within this email. If a spokesman from Konami can speak and listen to the fans on this level, then much can be achieved to please the Suikoden fandom, and to help create games which are profitable to Konami. This has only been done once in the entire 16 years of Suikoden existence, just prior to the release of Suikoden Tierkreis. However, the fans felt that the questions asked were not answered to the fans satisfaction. Instead, it seemed that Konami used the opportunity to advetise Tierkreis and paint the game in a brighter light. However, we are all very gratefull to Konami for taking the time and consideration to communicate with the fans. We ask that you please continue this trend. Listen to the fans and properly deal with any suggestions and concerns as well as passing those suggestions, concerns, hopes and fears onto the relevant creative staff members and executives at Konami Japan.

I know this whole email seems like alot to ask but I'm sure Konami have, and are, considering such options. However, if done correctly i.e. marketed very well and advertised properly, as well as fan contribution to ensure such ventures recieve the proper attention that they deserve, then Suikoden could end up being very profitable for Konami. Of course, the fans would profit from this as well ...which would do much to appease the thus far irratated Suikoden fandom. If nothing is to come of this email, please atleast fully consider point 8. ....I beg you.

Please bear in mind that I do not speak for myself and myself only. This email represents the collective voice of the whole of the Suikoden fandom. Both inside and outside of Japan.

Please let me know if my ideas resonate with you.

I thank you for your due time and consideration.

Kind Regards,

Chris Holmes (KC_MCDOHL on Suikosource)

(and the entire Western and Eastern Suikoden Fan Base)
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

7. Attempt to bring back Yoshitaka Murayama and Miki Higashino.
Miki stated in an interview that she has retired from full-time composition so that she could dedicate her full attention towards raising her family. As amazing as it would be to have her back, I think Konami has already done all they can.

Honestly, I think I can get most of the gripes listed above if Konami would just be more open about why things are as they are. Why have they been so reluctant to return to the old world? Why hasn't Murayama been contracted as a story consultant? Is the reason why Fumi Ishikawa's not working on Suikoden anymore because working on II and III proved too exhausting. I can completely understand if there are reasons why we can't have these things, but until those reasons are communicated to us, those questions are just going to continue nagging me.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Aw, really? How recent is this? Do you have a link,? I'd love to read it. (I know I can search myself but I'm laaaaaazzy). Anyhow, that sucks if thats the case :( Sakiyama sent me a link to her website though. The website was only in the development stages, so I gathered that meant that we'd see more from her soon. So I find this turn of events quite surprising.

Yeah, I completely agree with you there. The main reason Suikodens' situation is so frustrating is mostly to do with Konami's reluctance to be open with fans on a basic level. It seems there is much internal politics within Konami about Suikoden but we, the fans, are totaly kept in the dark.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

The link to Miki Higashino's interview is on Suikosource's main page...
Formerly known as: Gothann
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

lol d'woops! Totaly bypassed that. Weird how I came accross this in a thread on the Suikogaiden Translation Project but totaly missed it here haha! Yeah, its a great read, really interesting. To me, it doesnt say we'll never hear from her again though. It does give me the impression that she's tired of Suikoden though lol
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

KC, did you ever receive a reply to your last email?
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Yes, but nothing more than the usual polite customer service brush offs really. ''Thank you for your feedback, your passion and commitment to the series is inspiring, we will pass on your feedback to the relevant departments'' etc etc
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

You gotta love corporate bullshit and red tape.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

So what, we get the Succession Wars first, then the First Fire Bringer War before the end of the Suikoden series?
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

For those who are interested, there is a slight revival going on over at the Konami Japan Facebook page asking for Suikoden II on PSN. Head on over! :)

https://www.facebook.com/konami.jp
Noraibah
Banned User
Location: Kuala Lumpur[ Kota Kinabalu, Sabah ],Wilayah Perseketuan,Malaysia

Post by Noraibah »

We still don't know what happened to the Black Sword Rune at the end of SII!!! :roll:
I love this forum............to death.I think dying is normal.Just ignore me!