It's time to Ask Konami about Suikoden 6

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Antimatzist

Re: It's time to Ask Konami about Suikoden 6

Post by Antimatzist »

Grr, why is Konami so randomly replying on Fb-messages? When I read this as a reply on a MGS-related comment:
The passion of our Metal Gear fans inspire us to create games of the highest caliber and we know you'll expect nothing less
it made me laugh quite a bit...
KyleReese

Post by KyleReese »

Mikain Clan King wrote:...But yeah, give it a year (sadly).
Give it 2 weeks. I told you, I'm from the future, I saw things. :P
Growing a portal to past centuries,
young people looking for an answer
through the legacy of legendary heroes.
Hadouken

Post by Hadouken »

Speaking as a born fan of Suikoden, I think it is much harder to make a good new Suikoden game than it is to make a Final Fantasy game. Reason being is that the Suikoden series has chosen to stay in the same world. What I mean by that is, for example in the Final Fantasy series, the series has progressed in time and explored different worlds with the passage of each title. The first FF started in the medieval era: dragons, castles, kings and etc. Then comes FF6 where it began the industrial revolution and introduced steam power. Now, in FF13 everything is practically mechanized, even the monsters. By creating these brand new worlds, FF is able to create new conflicts regardless of whether or not the previous series had any relevance. However, Suikoden chose to keep the same world so that characters may return in each title. Without a conflict, there will be no game, and Suikoden pretty much set itself up so that each title is dedicated to resolving a conflict that is located in different regions of the same world; because it cannot stray from that world.

Moreover, the iconic 108 stars recurring theme must be incorporated. So every story must include a dictatorial uprising that forces the hero to recruit allies, which is also hard to write without having the stories seem too identical. IMO these are the reasons that Suikoden is having a hard time producing new titles, and for the new titles to surpass the previous ones.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

If it's harder to make a good Suikoden than a good FF, maybe we should just quit as good FF titles have stopped to appear for at least 10 years now...
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Anti... You stole my point. :lol:

One could argue that it is easier as well, because of places, characters and events that have already been eluded to in the previous titles. You have also got an huge resource of feedback from the fan base on sites such as Suikosource, likes, dislikes, speculation. Just because it isn't from scratch doesn't mean it's necessarily harder to create. It's not a wild stab in the dark.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Hadouken

Post by Hadouken »

Both very valid points, but the point I was trying to get across was that IMHO, Suikoden must follow a formula and is restricted in many ways by this formula. For instance, the gameplay mechanics have not seen much change over the years, and i think it's because battles must incorporate many characters because of the 108 stars. On the other hand, FF has explored turn-based battles, active time battles, job systems, stat tree systems; the variety is what keeps fans interested and many of this Suikoden just 'cant' do with so many characters, and I don't think that developers will get paid to reuse the same formula over and over. I know that they changed it up for Tierkris, but look at what happened to that. Also, considering production costs, Suikoden's next debut will have to be on a next gen console, which I doubt Konami will fund unless they come up with a winning game plan and not recycle ideas.

Story-wise, however, I believe that Suikoden has a lot to go on. I have no idea why writers have decided to continue introducing new regions in each game instead of focusing on areas that are vital to the plot, but have not been explored... Most notably, Harmonia. I would love the next Suikoden game to be in Harmonia. The fan base on this site alone has enough info to craft an entire RPG world based on Harmonia.

TL;DR Pessimistic about future of Suikoden for reasons, bring the shitstorm to Harmonia.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I don't think it MUST follow this formula - it just does. But I believe a change in e.g. battle system would upset the fans (like BoF V which brought drastic, but needed changes and a lot of people don't like it).

While you're right, FF has much more liberties in making their games unique, I think FF has, too. It's just that no one really bothered to try and change something. The Rune system e.g. is nearly the same from Suikoden to Suikoden V - but does it need to be like this? There are Skill System which could be worked out way more, the battle itself could need a reform, characters need to distinguish a bit more from each other (that's difficult with 60 playable characters...)... but yeah, I think there can be much improved.

For production costs... well, it's too late for Wii which would have been cheaper than PS3 and XBOX, but would be my favourite now as it is the only console with good J-RPGs. am sure if Konami had developed Suikoden VI and marketed it correctly, they could have a small success now like Xenoblade Chronicles has, which is from what I've heard the ebst J-RPG of this generation, and yeah, I bought the game and will buy a Wii for it, that's how hyped I am for it.
Ved

Post by Ved »

I think the change ups in the skill system have been good. I thought 3's system was really good, and 5's too. I liked how you could choose what you wanted your characters to be good at but they still had their natural limitations. They also added formations and stuff in 5, which was a minor change, but kind of cool. Though it was totally optional.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Except that True Men was broken.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Not everything can work flawlessly the first time the implent it.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Okay guys, just for those who may not know, we are currently commenting continiously on Konami's Facebook page for Suikoden II on PSN:

http://www.facebook.com/konami

I think its safe to move onto Konami Japan Facebook now as well, as beforehand they did not tolerate English comments on the wall, but there has been a recent buzz of English Suikoden activity on Konami Japan Facebook so it seems they are just acepting it. However, still not alot of people are commenting on it, please join in!:

http://www.facebook.com/konami.jp?ref=ts

Also, commenting on the official Playstation Facebook page would do no harm either, the Suikoden acitivity on there is almost non existent at the moment, lets change that:

http://www.facebook.com/PlayStation

TGS is just round the corner, although hopes do not look good at all for any kind of Suikoden reference. Regardless of the outcome, be prepared for some heavy campaigning after TGS.

Thanks to all who are contributing :)
Luke

Post by Luke »

Good idea. I just hope that online vocabulary I used works :lol:
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Ved wrote:I think the change ups in the skill system have been good. I thought 3's system was really good, and 5's too. I liked how you could choose what you wanted your characters to be good at but they still had their natural limitations. They also added formations and stuff in 5, which was a minor change, but kind of cool. Though it was totally optional.
I thought they were on the right track with the skill system of Suikoden III. The only flaw S3 had as far as gameplay goes was the buddy system imo.

Anyway, I'm still waiting on that Suikoden page on Facebook. I know several people that I could get to join it, but it's hard to make a pitch at them without the page because I haven't really talked to them since high school. All I know is that they're big Suikoden fans as well.
KyleReese

Post by KyleReese »

KC_MCDOHL wrote:TGS is just round the corner, although hopes do not look good at all for any kind of Suikoden reference.
Don't be so sure. Anything can happen. Anything. :mrgreen:
Let's wait 10 more days before starting a war!
Growing a portal to past centuries,
young people looking for an answer
through the legacy of legendary heroes.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

I love your optimisim Reese! :D

Although I will be campaigning wether they announce a Suikoden or not. There is much to do to save our beloved series.