Konami Showcases the New Suikoden Pachislot Machine

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
tiki
Banned User

Re: Konami Showcases the New Suikoden Pachislot Machine

Post by tiki »

Even more time / designers are put on irrelevant crap instead of working on a Suikoden VI.

Worse yet, it features the game that literally nobody liked. Literally. Nobody. Literally.

Death to Suikoden 4.

Death to Konami.

There is no God.
Raww Le Klueze wrote:Either way, Suikoden IV sold well, 100,000+ the amount of Suikoden V so in Konami's eyes Suikoden IV is the better game. Or specifically, in their investors eyes.
Suikoden IV sold more than Suikoden V for one very important reason. Momentum.

Suikoden I was an amazing game. It was an amazing game, so people bought Suikoden II. Suikoden II was an even more amazing game, so people bought Suikoden III. Suikoden III was a good/amazing game and so, expecting the quality typical of the series, they bought Suikoden IV. Suikoden IV was disgustingly awful. Because the fans no longer had faith in the series, Suikoden V's sales suffered due to the momentum lost.

This is the same reason why Conan O'Brian's ratings plummeted when Jay Leno was given a show right in front of his, an awful show that was painful to watch. Instead of a drama to bring in a huge number, everyone turned the channel away when Jay Leno's show came on and didn't bother to turn it back when Conan came on.

In short, Suikoden IV's creators are to blame for the state of the series. May they rot.
daoster

Post by daoster »

tiki wrote:Even more time / designers are put on irrelevant crap instead of working on a Suikoden VI.

Worse yet, it features the game that literally nobody liked. Literally. Nobody. Literally.
Thanks for speaking on my behalf!
I tell the DJ what to play, I tell the MC what to say!
Like good music? Check out my podcast: http://www.musicaloccupation.com
tiki
Banned User

Post by tiki »

No problem!
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

daoster wrote:
tiki wrote:Even more time / designers are put on irrelevant crap instead of working on a Suikoden VI.

You DO know it's been mentioned that the developers of this Pachislot machine are in no way part of Konami's core console/PC game dev group? If they didn't work on this game, they'd be ruining our fond memories of some other Konami franchise.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Sebastionleo

Post by Sebastionleo »

daoster wrote:

I actually really liked Suikoden IV and Rhapsodia. IV wasn't as good as the rest of the series, but it was still better than many other RPGs, and honestly not worth the hate it gets.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Sebastionleo wrote:
daoster wrote:

I actually really liked Suikoden IV and Rhapsodia. IV wasn't as good as the rest of the series, but it was still better than many other RPGs, and honestly not worth the hate it gets.
Agreeing with Sebastionleo here. And quite a few of the Japanese fanbase seems to have liked the game as well. (Going by the 500+ available fan websites for Suikoden IV alone, and over 300 fanarts (and then some) I have saved of Razlo/Lazlo to my PC. =B)

It may've not have been the best, but IV/Tactics was still good for what it was IMHO. And I, for one, am enjoying seeing my favorite Tenkai in full CG graphics.
tiki
Banned User

Post by tiki »

You are all objectively wrong. Suikoden IV is literally the second worst game ever. There is nothing redeeming about it save for the minigames. The four player battle system, the useless magic system, the narrow scope, the nonsensical plot, the agonizingly slow seafaring (butbutbut tiki you can hold down a button and change it from 'grass growing' to 'snail crawl'), the endless random battles, the taking-a-step-back-from-III silent protagonist, the taking-an-even-further-step-back diving 150 years into the past kiling our progressive continuity from game to game, the completely wasted back-up crew option which only works on the boat, the fact that it killed Suikoden V sales from it's terribleness, fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffokgrorjgogjoiejg4t93j93tj9494900000000000000000

Always must it linger in Tierkreis's shadow, never shall it wrest the crown from it.
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

tiki wrote:You are all objectively wrong. Suikoden IV is literally the second worst game ever. There is nothing redeeming about it save for the minigames. The four player battle system, the useless magic system, the narrow scope, the nonsensical plot, the agonizingly slow seafaring (butbutbut tiki you can hold down a button and change it from 'grass growing' to 'snail crawl'), the endless random battles, the taking-a-step-back-from-III silent protagonist, the taking-an-even-further-step-back diving 150 years into the past kiling our progressive continuity from game to game, the completely wasted back-up crew option which only works on the boat, the fact that it killed Suikoden V sales from it's terribleness, fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffokgrorjgogjoiejg4t93j93tj9494900000000000000000

Always must it linger in Tierkreis's shadow, never shall it wrest the crown from it.

I have not played IV so I cannot comment on its quality, but proclaiming your opinion as law is immature and not very becoming of you. It is widely accepted that IV is not up to par with the rest of the franchise, but it still has its fans who would be insulted by such comments.

You must also take into consideration the state of the Japanese RPG. Suikoden V still sold a healthy number of copies, but even at that time, the RPG fanbase was waning. Let's face it, these games are ridiculously expensive and time consuming to develop. It is for this stated reason that Capcom is not working on Breath of Fire VI, and it is also for this reason that a lot of RPGs have gone to portable consoles, where developers not as pressured to make games that look like Final Fantasy XIII. With Konami's reluctance to bring Suikoden back to it's 2D roots, it's difficult to develop a game on a current portable that would match up with the expectations of series fans. For all its flaws and all the features it lacked, it's impressive that Konami managed to stuff as much stuff as they did into Tierkreis considering the space restrictions. The 3DS may change things as it can support memory sticks of an exponentially higher capacity than the DS, but Nintendo won't provide the resources to manufacture these higher capacity cards for another few years when it becomes more financially viable.

Overall, while Suikoden IV may have made a minor impact on V's sales, citing that as a core reason is just plain silly as it doesn't take into account all the facts.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Another thing to consider is Suikoden V was released in Japan on February 23rd, 2006. The same day Tales of the Abyss, Altonerico, Baten Kaitos 2, and I think some sort of Pokemon RPG was released. That's like 5 RPG titles being released at the same time-- so naturally it'll eat into possible sales.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

You must also take into consideration the state of the Japanese RPG. Suikoden V still sold a healthy number of copies, but even at that time, the RPG fanbase was waning. Let's face it, these games are ridiculously expensive and time consuming to develop. It is for this stated reason that Capcom is not working on Breath of Fire VI, and it is also for this reason that a lot of RPGs have gone to portable consoles, where developers not as pressured to make games that look like Final Fantasy XIII.

Overall, while Suikoden IV may have made a minor impact on V's sales, citing that as a core reason is just plain silly as it doesn't take into account all the facts.
I agree, with one caveat: While Konami did not lose money on suikoden V, they did not make too much money either, and this can sometimes be just as bad as losing money. It all depends on the expectations. If Konami tracked sales for SV to be 400,000, then were left with 200,000, this is an embarassment to investors and to the executive staff.

However, the cost of producing a home console RPG is high, but it is not prohibitive. Capcom is a poor comparison, as they have not had the success Konami has had recently. Japanese RPGs were fading during the latter years of the PS2 due to the rise of MMOs like WoW and Everquest. But, recently many MMOs have been struggling, even Final Fantasy XIV. While WoW remains strong, the sales for games like Dragon Age and FF XIII have proven that console RPGs can make money and are far from being extinct.

I suspect that Konami would like to put get their foot in the door on console RPGs, and is simply looking for the best opportunity to do so. With the revival of both Castlevania and Silent Hill for the PS3, I can't imagine them ignoring Suikoden all together. But it is likely that they are wary of making a game that will upset the fan base, and cause sales to be stagnant. Whether SVI comes or not remains to be seen, but at this point it is just as likely to be stalled in the planning stages as it is to not be under development at all.
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

Rooks wrote: However, the cost of producing a home console RPG is high, but it is not prohibitive. Capcom is a poor comparison, as they have not had the success Konami has had recently.
"On the contrary," says Monster Hunter.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Also, sales of Suikoden in Japan was definitely not affected by World of Warcraft or Everquest because very few Japanese people play those MMOs (mainly because it's hard to play those games without knowing English). Konami tends to base its decisions on sales within Japan (RPGs in particular are viewed as having a very limited market outside Japan), so even if WoW and EQ could reduce potential buyers outside Japan, it wouldn't have an effect on sales figures in Japan.
tiki
Banned User

Post by tiki »

Xelinis wrote:I have not played IV so I cannot comment on its quality, but proclaiming your opinion as law is immature and not very becoming of you. It is widely accepted that IV is not up to par with the rest of the franchise, but it still has its fans who would be insulted by such comments.
No, it is irredeemably terrible. Regardless of what the 'fans' say, it's just a complete waste all around. As for insulting them, there are fans of self-mutilation as well (which is about as enjoyable as Suikoden IV), but I don't really care if any of them take insult to my trashing their choice habit either.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

If you can't have a rational debate then your opinions are automaticaly invalidated.
tiki
Banned User

Post by tiki »

It's a good thing I'm speaking pure objective fact, then.

And everyone who likes Suikoden IV are irrational creatures who are automatically invalidated as per your decree.