Suikoden has ended?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
KC_MCDOHL

Re: Suikoden has ended?

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Yuber wrote:
KC_MCDOHL wrote:No, I really doubt the series has ended. The only evidence we have is this long wait for a new announcement. But if you remember all the previous Suikodens then you will remember that each and every time we had the same discussions. That is, up untill Konami prooved us wrong and brought out yet another title. So, no, I really dont think the series has ended at all. I believe it is naive to suggest so, especially when you look at all the media that Konami are still piling out about it over in Japan.

The only worry is, as others have said, how will the next Suikoden pan out? It can either be a) the game we have all been waiting and hoping for, b) a terrible effort at a Suikoden title or c) a sequel to Teirkries.

No ...the future does not look good. Although I live in hope and steely determinatoin that it will be a) :lol:

Yeah but we've never had to wait 4 years for the next game, let alone news that they are making it. Especially since suikoden 4 and 5 did not perform well in sales.
But Teirkries only just came out last year. Admitably, this is the longest wait we've had for a main Suikoden title, but there is still pretty much 110% evidence to suggest that the series is NOT dead. I reiterate, both Teirkries and new, main Suikoden media are still bieng handed out in Japan.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Yuber wrote:Yeah but we've never had to wait 4 years for the next game, let alone news that they are making it. Especially since suikoden 4 and 5 did not perform well in sales.
IV did not perform well? It sold 300,000+ in it's first printing.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Exactly. But because IV wasn't so great a Suikoden, V then did not sell too well. But then because V was a good Suikoden - Teirkreis went on to sell pretty well (especially for a DS RPG). However, judgin by the game Terkries is ....Suikoden VI probably won't sell well. Unless they market it very well (which they haven't done on previous Suikdoens) and avoid market trends making a Suikoden that will grasp gamers attentions before release.
Palmguy

Post by Palmguy »

Well, Terkries wasn't THAT bad if you forget it was a Suikoden. It was still better than some RPG on DS/PSP (not counting remakes and ports). That way Fans will still get it and new commers wont be too influenced by Terkris... i hope.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Tierkreis is pretty damn bad compared to anything, it's storytelling and gameplay is on the same level of the NES era. It's appalling. It's nonsensical and stupid to it's very core.

And Tierkreis sold even less than Suikoden V did, but considering it's JRPG 101 it's amazing it didn't sell more. Given the relative low production costs of a DS game though it has a bigger profit margin and unfortunatly that probably means that Konami thinks it's a good idea. They even went so far as lump the real series in with the Infinity crap so it's basically canon now and we'll probably see even more of that crap.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

I disagree. I think its pretty beyond the NES era but I see the parralel you're making. I don't think its a case of what Teirkries is, its a case of what it isn't and as far as I, and most of us, are concerned - it shouldn't be connected to the main series. There is no real way of finding out just what impact Terkries has had on the main series sales, storyline, fanbase and general opinion until Suikoden VI comes out ....or Teirkries II
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Yuber wrote:Yeah but we've never had to wait 4 years for the next game, let alone news that they are making it. Especially since suikoden 4 and 5 did not perform well in sales.
But that's the thing: Konami considers Tierkreis a "main" release. Proof is pretty much in how they've gone on to include Tierkreis in "main series" promotional items after the game's release.

I'd be seriously disappointed if they use the same universe from Tierkreis if they ever make a sequel to that game, but it's sadly not outside the realm of possibility.
Formerly known as: Gothann
tiki
Banned User

Post by tiki »

If Tierkreis is part of the main series, Suikoden is dead to me. I wouldn't be surprised if, if Suikoden 6 ever came out, some character from the Infinity decided to hop on by.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Maybe the (possibly unexpected) general outcry over Tierkreis will make Konami reconsider the original Suikoden world/stories. Not saying people didn't like it, but it hasn't exactly gotten rave reviews from anyone I've talked to.

But yeah, you've got to consider that it came out pretty recently, and all hope is not lost for a new 'proper' installment of our much loved series. Personally, I have no idea, I don't really have much of an understanding of how gaming companies work. Let's just say if they stop making Suikoden...well... I won't be inviting them to my birthday party (cue much folding arms and pouting)
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
27x4=108

Post by 27x4=108 »

Suikoden is dead for me, I liked so much I, II and III, for me IV was a fail, and V was pretty good, but they only used Murayama material about Georg, so it could be better.

Tierkreis is not bad as a game, but as a Suikoden was a failure.

If they dont release Suikoden VI I will consider the saga dead.
Sorry for my very bad english! :S
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Spot on
veriaqa

Post by veriaqa »

That's what i tried to tell you guys in my last post. The future of Suikoden series is Tierkreis.

There are so many indications that leads to that direction. And for me, Tierkreis is not Suikoden. Even if Konami would release Suiko VI with any Tierkreis elements in it, that's it Suikoden is dead for me.
I've came with an army who loves death like Yours loves live.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

I disagree, in my point of view, Teirkries is an experimental spin off series. The biggest elements I can see crossing over into the main series is just more on The Infinity concept. Perhaps a reference to TOK. Or perhaps (preferrably not) some Teirkries characters making the dimension jump into the main Suikoden world, most likely the Hero, Marina, Lui or Atrie.

If the Chronicles become a main feautre in our Suikoden, or ANYTHING to do with the Teirkries plot becomes a main feauture then, I agree, the series may be as good as dead.
27x4=108

Post by 27x4=108 »

Look at Final Fantasy, they made Final Fantasy Tactics ( the GBA and DS where amazing ) and then Final Fantasy XII, inspired in the same universe, and the game was, for me, and for many other people, a huge fail.

If they made Suikoden like Tierkreis I'll not play it.
Sorry for my very bad english! :S
Queens Knight

Post by Queens Knight »

Would a digital release of a new Suikoden not be a good route for Konami to take? They could just release it on the psn/xbl instead of having to worry about retail. Would save them a lot of money, they could also sell the game for cheaper as well so hopefully more people buy it.

Makes sense to me, Suikoden has never really been about the graphics anyways, would be the perfect opportunity for them to go back to the 2D roots of the Suikoden games, 2D sprites with a 3D backround. 2D ages so much better then 3D as well, just look at Suikoden 2's 2D sprites, then go and play Suikoden 3's deformed 3D characters. Hopefully Konami has or is considering this option. Would be so much cheaper to develop, easy to distribute digitally, would be able to release the game on more then one system at a cheaper price maybe then it would sell for retail.

Am I wrong?