Suikoden has ended?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Hirathien

Re: Suikoden has ended?

Post by Hirathien »

They need to advertise so people know about the series. Just putting it on the XBL/PSN just because it's "Cheaper" is doubtfully the right approach to take.

As for lowering the price, maybe. But i've always been a bit careful of buying games that cost too little, since why does it cost so little? Either it's really bad, or something along those lines. I usually check reviews for games before i buy them as well, sure, i don't let that make up my decision totally, but i don't wander into the blind, except with games i trust.

So, i'd say that they should keep on doing what they do. BUT. Advertise.
Queens Knight

Post by Queens Knight »

That's the main problem though facing another Suikoden being developed, it's all about cost and profit. It costs a lot of money to develop a game to be released on one of the consoles, even more money for it to be released on more than one console. That was one of the main reasons that the new Suikoden game was released for the DS, was much cheaper to develop for a hand-held than a console.

Suikoden has had horrible advertisements for it's previous games, whether it's released on a hand-held, console, or digital download really won't affect how Konami chooses to advertise it...which is to say nonexistent.

As for it being "cheaper" as a digital download, it just makes sense for it to be. There's a built in price point for games being sold retail, distribution/manufacturing etc; digital just takes a lot of the unnecessary cost out of the game.

Being cautious about games that cost too little is fine, but let's be honest here, how many games are sold at full retail value of $60-$70 Cnd and they are horrible beyond belief. It's keep on doing what they do that has nearly, if not already, driven Suikoden into ground.

I agree with you though, Konami does need to do a better job of advertising the series in an attempt to get a new audience outside of us fans.
Tsubaki

Post by Tsubaki »

id say sell Suikoden.. to a good company that will show it some love.. it really needs it...
When its all said and done im feeling like the milkmans son!
SuikodenTHater

Post by SuikodenTHater »

If Teirkries is their answer for the future of the Suikoden series then it as good as dead as far as I am concerned and so is Konami for that matter if they choose to take this route. I am hoping that they prove me pleasantly wrong on this and the next Suikoden they come out with will be one set in the original Suikoden universe and that Teirkries if it does survive will become it own spin off game but sadly I do not think that will be the case we will have to wait and see I guess but it doesn't look good IMHO from what I have read.

As far as it being a digital release that not a bad idea IMO, would probably be cheaper route to go as far as distributing the game at least here on the west coast and I would have no problem buying it from steam or from the game-stop website as I have with other games or even downloading to one of my console systems.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Tsubaki wrote:id say sell Suikoden.. to a good company that will show it some love.. it really needs it...
Selling franchises has very rarely ever went well. Konami are stuck with Suikoden until they kill it or are bought by someone else.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Themadcow

Post by Themadcow »

Maybe Suikoden has done well to get as many sequels/prequels/spin-offs as it has. Aside from the marketing phenomenon of Final Fantasy, and the feverish loyalty towards Dragon Quest in Japan, very few 'proper' RPG's have achieved six mainstream releases. Shin Megami Tensei is probably the only other franchise that has endured so well.
SuikodenTHater

Post by SuikodenTHater »

LanceHeart wrote:
Tsubaki wrote:id say sell Suikoden.. to a good company that will show it some love.. it really needs it...
Selling franchises has very rarely ever went well. Konami are stuck with Suikoden until they kill it or are bought by someone else.
I would prefer they sell it to some other company or just kill the series altogether rather then let some idiot like Osamu Komuta rape it again like he did with Tierkreis. Konami obviously doesn't have anyone intelligence enough and creative enough within their ranks to take the game forward and unlock it's unlimited potential so I say ether sell it, kill it or hire someone outside the company to take it over because it has become painfully obvious that they simply do not see the series for the diamond in the rough it is. Why do I say this you ask, because when they walked into the local appraisers shop with a diamond in their hand, Komuta handed them a ordinary plan old bag of rocks as payment and they accepted it. :roll:
Mikain Clan King

Post by Mikain Clan King »

They should just start popping out 2-D games based on the events that happened between the games.
"The duel with Genkaku.... It continues here....."
-Han Cunningham

"This is your final test... Can you win this time, Riou?"
-Leon Silverburg
amelia108

Post by amelia108 »

Mikain Clan King wrote:They should just start popping out 2-D games based on the events that happened between the games.
this right here is a good idea. do virtual console chapters or put it on psp or something. don't even have to have 108 characters, just focus on a smaller group, but keep all the other goodness of 1 and 2 intact (maybe have a tiny hq or something).
Aculias

Post by Aculias »

Well they did say that they did plan to share the wisdom of the Sindar, Viki & Jeane & the other true runes as well.
Always added history in the game.
We would of never of heard of the Falena if it was not for S5, so anything is possible.

Been awhile since I been on here!
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Aculias wrote:We would of never of heard of the Falena if it was not for S5, so anything is possible.

Been awhile since I been on here!
Falena was mentioned in Suikoden II and IV, too. This is a scheme of Suikoden: they allude to other countries in the world and the next game (or any game after that) takes place in that country. This is really cool imo, and we still have lots of places to see. The thing is just: Is Konami as interested as we are to see these places, too?
Aculias

Post by Aculias »

Yea your right my bad.
Still many lands we have not heard about yet as well, like the outter lands as well as some towns that we only hear about!

Just seems like there is so much story & so much things to bring into the light!So many mysteries to solve that we dont know about yet!
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

That's just good writing. Leaving a lot of open endings and unexplored lands make the world more realistic and give the illusion of depth, when there are places we only really know the name of. They could choose to centre a new game around these places, and flesh them out for us in a sequel. Or they could very easily not bother delving any deeper into them, and the world wouldn't have lost any credibility. It's good for them that they've made so many possibilities.

Honestly though, I don't think they care about the little random places as much as we do... They're staying well away from the familiar territory of the original creator, and perhaps are focusing on these little known places like the Island Nations/Falena to keep his original story intact. I wouldn't want to touch something that brilliant, personally.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
True Griever

Post by True Griever »

Well I could use another good rpg for a change. A good story like most suikodens, perhaps about hikusaak. And a good battle system where opponents are actually good and equal. Of course we need about 10+ strong and cool enemy characters not shown all at the same time. ...What else? mmh a war battle system that combines the ones from suikoden 1 and 3, different locations where you have armies fighting against eachother until one is wiped out or retreats.

And finally give us a cool character, so people who see it in store think its a good game as well, with pancies such as frey and riou and a ugly one as lazlo you're not going to cut it. (not counting suiko 1, cuz thats a art thing)
We are in need of a cool weapon, perhaps a 2 blades on the sides and a grip in the middle, like a blade-grip-blade. Then make some cutscenes of this guy mowing through a army.

I don't know , I 'm just saying this game needs to stay alive. Give it a bit more western media attention and a cool-looking hero and this game will sell enough to at least make it to suiko 7.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

What's wrong with Suikoden 2's cover? I like it.

Too much coolness up there...
So you want a protagonist that mows through an army... And this is related to the story how? If the person could do that, why would you need 108 characters? And would this person even be mortal? Human? So far all Tenkai's have been.

The hero is fine, they just need to actually put the game out there and say "Hey guys, we released a game! It's about this and that, here's a trailer!" and put it in the news or something, and it will take care of itself. It doesn't need coolness.