Murayama Considering a Certain Offer

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
thcrock
Global Admin

Murayama Considering a Certain Offer

Post by thcrock »

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386087

In summary: Murayama states on his site that he has received an offer from a company. Its speculated to be Konami, and its hard to argue against the notion that he's definitely implying Konami.
A Decision

I received an offer from a certain company.
Although I'm extremely thankful, the idea left me very troubled, personally. Should I accept it or not?
Even now, it still concerns me.

What's to be done about this...?

They say the Rubicon is a very small river. I wonder what it felt like to cross?
That's my current mood.
This is just trusting somebody's translation of his personal blog. If anybody reading this knows Japanese, see if you can verify the translation.
Vextor
Global Admin

Re: Murayama Considering a Certain Offer

Post by Vextor »

I read the original Japanese on Murayama's site, and the above translation is accurate.
Quite exciting, because I can't really think of any other job troubling Murayama so much other than Suikoden.
Also, the whole Rubicon thing might be a reference to Murayama returning to Konami just like how Caesar was returning to Rome by crossing the Rubicon. Can't wait to see how this plays out.
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

I saw this at Due Fiumi and I am quite intrigued as to who this company that offered Murayama the job. It very may well be Konami, but does he really need to contemplate that?
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Well, would this affect that "Unknown RPG for Unknown Company" he was working on? Every Suiko-fan hoped it would be Suikoden for Konami, but we've not seen anything of that yet.

Then again, this offer could stem from that very project.

It's certainly interesting, there's not really any option for a company he'd label as a certain one.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

I don't see what else he could be referring to.

If he does come back to work on Suikoden, it'll be the best news ever.
If not, it'll be a hell of a let-down.
Purr.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

On second thought, he may simply be refering to being hired by a gaming company. Previously when he left Konami his feeling was that he no longer wanted to work inside a gaming company, and solely as a developer. He might be troubled by the idea of being hired into a company again (which would fit with the Rubicon metaphor).
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Yes, but then it would make more sense to say "a company" rather than "a certain company" as that implies a familiarity.
EternalOnslaught

If he is familiar with that certain company, then what could it be? I'm no expert on Murayama, is he or was he close to any company besides Konami?

I also notice when reading the translation posted above, that it doesn't mention what kind of company either. Is it possible that a company outside of the video game industry is trying to hire him? I say that, because I only know Murayama and his works at Konami.
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

Even if was Konami, even if was for work on Suikoden it isn't very good news, i mean, if he is right now questioning accept or not...five years could pass until we'll have a new Suikoden title by murayama
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Neclord X wrote:Even if was Konami, even if was for work on Suikoden it isn't very good news, i mean, if he is right now questioning accept or not...five years could pass until we'll have a new Suikoden title by murayama
The fact that he doesn't want to work for them does not mean he won't work with them.
Gunloc

Post by Gunloc »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:Well, would this affect that "Unknown RPG for Unknown Company" he was working on? Every Suiko-fan hoped it would be Suikoden for Konami, but we've not seen anything of that yet.

Then again, this offer could stem from that very project.
That's exactly what I was talking about with my friend yesterday. The mystery RPG project he listed a few months ago could presumably be the next Suikoden (that he may be working on freelance) and this new offer would be for him to rejoin Konami officially.

That would actually be a much more preferable situation as that would mean the supposed new Suikoden game would be much further along.
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

Well for all we know if the "certain" company is Konami and the "unknown rpg" is infact S6 he could have the blue print all laid out already just ready for it to be created, personal high hopes. I know the process of developing a game is lengthy but who knows maybe they've been working on it and do not wish anything to be leaked.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
EternalOnslaught

There really is no way to know until more evidence is known. I would like to think that is the case, him as in Murayama has been working on Suikoden VI and Konami wants him to join their ranks once more.

But if he was doing it, freelancing. He really can't publish the game on his own without Konami's approval, right?
Yuber

Post by Yuber »

I hope this is true, the RPG genre is going stale and being over-shadowed by MMORPG's
me > world
Gunloc

Post by Gunloc »

EternalOnslaught wrote:But if he was doing it, freelancing. He really can't publish the game on his own without Konami's approval, right?
A more likely scenario would be that he was working with Konami as a freelance contributor, not on their behalf.