Short Story with extreme branching

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Rezard

Short Story with extreme branching

Post by Rezard »

How would like a Suikoden Game with a short story with many routes instead of one long story with one route?

For example, imagin a game where you are an officer in a evil kingdom. You could:
- betray your friends and join the rebels;
- keep fighting the rebels and try to change the kingdom from the inside or;
- overcome the tyrant and become yourself the new tyrant.

Every choice you make matters and points out to one of the many routes. Also you could not get all stars in one go (since they are fighting each other), but you would have to finish the game at least twice to get all the stars, which would give as bonus a secret route for a best and more official like ending.

What do you think?
EternalOnslaught

Re: Short Story with extreme branching

Post by EternalOnslaught »

I like the concept and would gladly accept it, I also enjoy games that give you a choice, like a moral decision rather you should join the good side or bad side, should you save this persons life or not, etc.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Sounds good. The "not collecting all stars in one game" reminds me of Chrono Cross, but that's not a bad thing. It would be a nice change of pace.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

This extreme story branching does sound interesting, but I am no fan of having antagonists among my roster of Stars of Destiny.

I am also no fan of having to replay a game to unlock the best ending.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Hm, well sounds definitely interesting, but somehow I don't know if it could be well implemented into a real game...

I rather play a game of 40h length than 3 games of 10-13h length....
Rezard

Post by Rezard »

I am happy to see that people are open to new approaches.

Actually I am also not certain this could be done right, but I think Suikoden needed some kind of radical change in order to draw attention. I would prefer changes to be slow and progressive, but I think now is a little late to do that.
I think this is innovative while it keeps the game's feeling of war drama, so I'd prefer something like this.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

imagin a game where you are an officer in a evil kingdom
I'll be damned if I ever want to see another game called Suikoden that clearly defines one side as blatantly evil like Tierkreis.

And I'll always prefer one long fleshed out story than multiple short ones with no substance.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Bennyahb

Post by Bennyahb »

Sounds like Radiata Stories to me. Of course, I really liked that game.

Come to think of it, there are a few pages we could take out of that book. The main protaginist's costume and weapon changing when he upgrades, special moves opening depending on how much time you spend using one particular skill and the new game + (which I know IV and V did use)
Good point.
Matthijs

Post by Matthijs »

Yeh, nice concept but one problem.
It wouldn't be Suikoden anymore.
It sounds more like Fable to me.

Under a other tittle though I'm surely a big fan of this! But to get a game like this created it takes alot of money and time, which Konami doesn't really have do they?
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Matthijs wrote:Yeh, nice concept but one problem.
It wouldn't be Suikoden anymore.
It sounds more like Fable to me.
Why would it not be Suikoden anymore? Yeah, if a such a game was made it would have an overhaul in many details but I think the core elements can still be intact, 108 stars, have your own headquarter, true runes, internal and political conflicts, corrupted regimes and a few others. I mean from a canon point of view it would probably be hell, because it would obviously had a multitude of endings bad and good.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
avenger

Post by avenger »

so in actuallity, youre' saying let's have a game kinda like Radiata Stories in that you either play as the evil (nonhumans) or good (humans).. by the way nonhumans are not evil in the suikoden world, i was meerly giving an example.
yes i think if konami did this as a secondary game instead of a tactics it would be a hit.
kinda like a dynasty warrior xl.

so we could have 76 characters if we play good and 32 characters if we play bad or something like that.
game play would be the same and the major battles would happen as normal but we could see both sides of the story then. and then leknaat would appear twice well you get the idea, she'd show up if we are evil or good. yes i can clearly see this game (dreaming heavily in it's favor)