My Suikoden VI

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
alubat

My Suikoden VI

Post by alubat »

I remember the first time I played Suikoden 2. See, I was just old enough to have a little money in my poket when I was looking for a game to kill some time with when I came across S2. $20 for a used game? You got to get kidding me. Then I thought... if it is $20 for a used PS1 game... maybe it is that good. Of course I was not sorry I bought it. Even tured around a few years later and sold it on Ebay for over $100. Of course, I had to go back and buy another one later because of the collector in me. Anyways, to get to my point. S2 was grand, so was S1 when I finally got around to playing it. S3, though not even close to 1 or 2 in my book was still a good game. S4 and S5 were little more than OK. And the only reason they were even OK in my book is because they opened up the story just a little more.

Here is what I think. S1 is a great game. Sure it reads like a thousand other hero tails to where Father and Son are on oposite sides fighting for what they believe is right... but it is the ideas they put into place that made this game what it is. 108 stars of destiny, the battle systems, duel systems, and of course build and customize your castle. Great stuff!

Then came along S2. S2 was again told like a thousand hero tails of 2 friends pitted against each other because of the paths they choose... but it was still epic just how it unfolded. It contiued many stories from S1 and impoved on all aspects from S1.

S3 did something new. It did continue many stories from S1 and S2 but not enough for my taste. It also ignored the Yuber and Pesmegra story when Yuber was a HUGE part of that story. But it told 3 main stories, 2 pretty big side stories, and a good back story as well. Plus it opens up more of the Harmonia story as well. S3 not only told many good stries but it opened up many more.

Then we move on to S4. I was not impressed with the game. I found the plot lacking. I found the lack of opening up new stories to be more dissapointing than anything else. Not only that, but the fact that it took place so far into the past that they really couldn't build on the stories they did tell into new games unless they took place in the huge void between S4 and S1.

Then came S5. As far as timeline goes... a great choice in timeline. I love the idea of when this took place. However, when you pick this timeline maybe you should think about how to include more people from S1 and S2! But I guess that would be asking too much. We did open up a good bit more about the Sindar in this game than in the past games so I think that was a huge plus. The overall story was good but I guess my only real complaint about this game was the lack of past game characters. I think that is one of the huge things about Suikoden is seeing the stories of past charaters unfold along with the story of the world itself.

So, how do we get back on track with S6? Simple really. It will take place in Harmonia. The beginning of the story will take place around... 470. I am unsure as to the map of this world but lets say... Harmonia is dealing with an uprising to the North. Maybe some people who live in the mountians. You will not be the "leader" of the Harmoniaian army but some sort of LT or something. Now I will let your imagination fill in the gaps as you wish but at some point you lose a pretty big battle and get captured. Years go by as a prisoner. Lets say... 5. Then one day you are offered a chance. You are told that the supply routes have pretty much cut off. So, they cannot afford to feed prisoners. They have two choices. Live as slaves doing work and tending fields... or die. Of course, I you could choose to die but that would be the end of the game. So, you live as a slave... sort of like in S2. You explore the town but pretty much figure out that your in the mountians, all paths out of town are well guarded... you are indeed stuck. You are asked to do all sorts of things. Work the fields, carry stuff from one place to the next, cook meals... I would like to think of many of these things as little games that later in the game would be like the cooking contest or wack a mole... This town... would be your "castle" because it will be what you upgrade as the game goes on.

OK, time goes on... maybe even another 5 years. You are still a slave but you have become friends with many people. Harmonia has figured out that the town isn't going to waste away even though they have cut off all supplies. So, they decide to attack. During the battle a LT from Harmonia finds you and sees you not in chains. He assumes you are working with them. You try to explain but a duel takes place.

OK!!! New duel system. Still much like the other games with defend, attack and superattack but I like the idea of bringing in surroundings. Maybe even able to knock your opponets weapon from his hand. So, every now and again you will get a few more options. Such as... "Pick up the hoe".

So you pick up the hoe and defend yourself! I think that winning or losing this duel should play into the rest of the game somehow... but that is the details. The duel ends but you do not "kill" the LT and he escapes and you can only assume now that the whole Harmoniaian army believes you have turned on them. The attack is however turned back.

Trust... by force. As a fighter you are asked to help the people. You now see that the Mt people have not attacked in 10 years yet the Harmoniaian army isn't willing to just them be. You ask them how they can trust you and the reply is... "They have the man power to kill us off. We can sit around and let them... or we can trust all those who would be killed. We have little choice but to trust you... and you have little choice but to trust us."

I have plenty of other ideas but I will type them out someother time. I do want to point out something though. I would use a lot of people from 1, 2, 3, and even 5. Maybe not the people themselves but maybe... the son of Hix and Tengarr. I would also open a lot of stories for the next 2 games. See, my idea is that Harmonia is sort of a connection point to many true runes. So, S7 could take place in the past... maybe even the beginning of Harmonia to show just how and why so many true runes came to be in one place. Then S8 would again take place with Harmonia just after S6 to show the aftermath. This would also give a chance for the Sindar to really show themselves.

Well, please excuse the spelling errors or grammer. But I hope that this at least sounds like a game you would be happy to play. Give me some feedback on what I may have missed or on what you would do differerntly.
Rezard

Re: My Suikoden VI

Post by Rezard »

There are strong motives to S4 and S5 being barely related to the first three games, I dont really know the details very well, but it was because the Suikoden creator, Yoshitaka Murayama, was fired while Suikoden III was being produced and without him, Konami didnt know how to continue the storyline. All because SIV and V were idealized by someone different from the original creator.

I guess, after all that have happened, they dont have any reasons to be afraid to mess what Murayama created, since the Suikoden franchise has not being doing so well lately (How long until we see the next game?). So I agree Harmonia would be great for S6, I think it would be great to return to the initial settings and rush to Harmonia in the next game.

Differentely from what you are saying, I think the best would be "one game to solve it all". Simple: make a second Grassland x Harmonia war. Have Hugo unite all of Grassland, Zexen and Tinto previously to the game and them make a massive invasion against Harmonia to free the captured nations. Throw in Windy, Leeknaat and Hikusaak, explain all their motives and actions and purposely leave an open ending to create more games if people like it.
Most of the franchise mysteries could be explained like this.

Of course, it could be used some of your ideas. Anyway, if you want to talk about new duel systems or how some characters could be developed, I think it would be best to create one topic for each idea.
Sagiri

Post by Sagiri »

And what True Rune do you plan on obtaining?

And yeah, unite all the countries. Although you wouldn't have much to do with the Island Nation. Corselia kind of fixed the whole Kooluk problem.
It's a pinky promise. If I break my promise you break my pinky.
Sefiros

Post by Sefiros »

One of the things I loved the most about Suikoden II was that McDohl was a playable character. At first I thought I wasn't going to use him much due to going back and forth to Gregminister to get him. But then I realized that the Soul Eater had tons of instant death spells, not to mention the Double Leader Unite Attack. That made the game easier and more fun.

So here's my suggestion. Have Suikoden VI involve all the previous Tenkai Stars (yes, even Thomas from S3, and no, not the Tierkreis Star) and a collection of their greatest SoD. I know this sounds a bit like FF Dissida, but can you imagine the threat that would need all the Suikoden heroes to face? That's my idea. What's yours?