"New" Suikoden Trademark

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
ttfii

Re: "New" Suikoden Trademark

Post by ttfii »

Well... there's always next year. Here's hoping for more Suikoden references and tidbits we can all throw into the rumor mill war machine.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Just wait until Konami does its stage show before completely losing hope, all right? After all, this year's the 15th anniversary of the franchise.

On a somewhat related note, Shin Sangoku Musou 6 was announced at the Sony keynote as a PS3 exclusive. That might have been what sparked the Suikoden rumor, considering how SSM is the only other series that has a ginormous amount of characters that rivals Suikoden.
Formerly known as: Gothann
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

shin sangoku Musou 6 is Dynasty Warriors 7 for those of us in the states and europe. Not sure how the two could be confused. Dynasty warriors is a beat em up game series, not a RPG. It's made by a completely different company, and while it has a impressively large number of npc's, it only has slightly more playable characters than other action games, particular fighter games from which the series evolved. the only thing really noteworthy about that announcement is that it means that there wont be a Xbox version of dynasty warriors 7. unfortunately, that doesn't even appear to be true, as Gamefaqs has dynasty warriors 7 listed under both PS3 and Xbox 360, although it apparently will be like FF 13 and be only PS3 in japan, and then it will be downgraded and ported over to the xbox when in comes overseas.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

eldrasidar wrote:shin sangoku Musou 6 is Dynasty Warriors 7 for those of us in the states and europe. Not sure how the two could be confused. Dynasty warriors is a beat em up game series, not a RPG. It's made by a completely different company, and while it has a impressively large number of npc's, it only has slightly more playable characters than other action games, particular fighter games from which the series evolved. the only thing really noteworthy about that announcement is that it means that there wont be a Xbox version of dynasty warriors 7. unfortunately, that doesn't even appear to be true, as Gamefaqs has dynasty warriors 7 listed under both PS3 and Xbox 360, although it apparently will be like FF 13 and be only PS3 in japan, and then it will be downgraded and ported over to the xbox when in comes overseas.

Thanks for clearing that up, I was wondering why I had never heard of Shin Sangoku Musou.

Well, I don't know much about the TGS, but I can assume that it is a well-orcestrated dance of marketing, so to speak, and as such, there could be later reveals by the individual companies. I guess they might think that more dramatic somehow. In the words of Yogi Berra, "it ain't over till its over," so lets hold out a bit of hope for a new Suikoden title.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

The confusion could stem from the fact that SSM is based on a Chinese classic, much like Suikoden is. It's also an anniversary for the franchise (10 years) and the game *was* announced as a PS3 exclusive at Sony's TGS keynote. Of what I know, the game wasn't leaked at all prior to its reveal.
Whether Dynasty Warriors 7 ends up on 360 outside of Japan is beside the point, since the trade publication is based in Japan anyway.

Anyway, Konami's show is going live at 7PM local time. Once it's done we'll finally be able to say TGS is a wash, since I don't think companies have ever announced new games during public viewing days.
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

Vextor, have you noticed anything of interest from Ishikawa's twitter? I've been attempting to follow it myself but a lack of talent in foreign languages and mediocre online translators make it a bit difficult to make heads or tails of it.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Okay, NOW it's officially over for Konami's TGS. Nothin'.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

That really sucks....
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

What happened at Konami's TGS? I literally haven't heard one bit of news from it. Did they even announce anything? Pretty much every publisher had some major announcements and reveals.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

I believe it was all MGS. Peace Walker etc ...
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

KoRnholio wrote:What happened at Konami's TGS? I literally haven't heard one bit of news from it. Did they even announce anything? Pretty much every publisher had some major announcements and reveals.
Love Plus
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Here's another game that could have been confused as being Suikoden:

Kingdom: Sword of a Thousand Cavalry. Konami is developing it exclusively for the PSP.
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/09/17/ki ... -warriors/

It looks so similar to the graphical palette they used in Suikoden V that I wouldn't be surprised if it started out as a Suikoden game or included the series' staff. Still, the game's licensed so it's far more likely that this is a coincidence.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Could this be a good prophecy for potential 'dynasty warriors' style Suikoden war battles on the way? ;)
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Well, I'm disappointed. Still, thanks for all the news on this guys. It's great to hear from people who follow the Japanese gaming industry so closely. Its tough for westerners like me to get this kind of info anywhere else, so thanks again.

As far as the trademark is concerned: Would releasing Suikoden II for the PSN qualify to renew the trademark? That is something that would be great news for me, especially because my original copy was stolen a few years back.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Not unless they rename it Genso Suikoden. And given that Suikoden is up with it's normal name that ain't likely. And as long as ESRB doesn't contain a rating for Suikoden II on PSP/PS3 it's not even close to being released.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.