"New" Suikoden Trademark

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
LanceHeart

Re: "New" Suikoden Trademark

Post by LanceHeart »

The table of contents for Famitsu is out and it seems like Suikoden is nowhere to be found. I'll probably edit this post as the situation evolves, since I'm hounding andriasang, neogaf, and even NA gaming sites for anything that could remotely justify why Konami applied for a US trademark.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

I've been keeping an eye on those same sites. I hate to say it, but I think we've got another dud here. :?
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Yeah, it's officially a bust. The trademark hasn't moved, but that could change soon enough.

Here I was hoping Konami would at least throw a bone to their Japanese fans and re-release the original game on PSN or something, since none of the four games are on the PSOne Games Archive.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

I thought the original game was already on PSN?
AthenaCat

Post by AthenaCat »

Hirathien wrote:I thought the original game was already on PSN?
Only in the US. The most likely reason for them not being released on PSN in Japan is the existence of the PSP port of I and II.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

That argument would have been valid had Konami actually released Suikoden I & II on PSN in Japan, but they didn't even do that. Considering the metric tons of other PSOne and PSP games Konami allowed on PSN in Japan, it seems more like a lack of motivation on their end.

Edit: Looking back on Konami Style, it seems like they celebrated the 15th anniversary with that character guide they released a while back (2009, actually). Let's just wait and see if they'll do anything from now until the end of the month.
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

The trademark has been updated.

Abandonment.

:-/
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

And thus ends that last glimmer of hope for a new game coming out soon. I'll check the other trademarks, but it's safe to say others may have expired this year as well.

Two years since Suikoden Tierkreis and counting. Here's hoping we get an announcement before next year, else we'll practically be matching how long it took to get a new game between Suikoden II and III.
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

The things happening at Konami right now are troubling, especially with the recent revelation that Team Silent has indeed been disbanded.
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

Fumiaki Tanaka, the current CEO of Konami, was appointed to his role in 2006. Interestingly, this is when Konami started slashing older series and moving some development overseas. Perhaps I'm merely looking for a scapegoat in all this, but dammit if there isn't a connection.
daoster

Post by daoster »

No idea where to post this, or to create a new topic, but take it as a grain of salt.

Mod over at Neogaf just posted this:
So, I'm pretty sure this is legit, because one of the regular Japanese blogs which post on Famitsu updates regularly is updating all the various FF interviews from this week's issue in detail now. But what's more interesting is that apparently there's a Suikoden game announced for the PSP due in April this year. The retail package will be 6090yen, while the PSN release will be 4800yen...
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419728

EDIT: FALSE HOPE, sorry. It's apparently an IREM game named Doki Doki Suikoden.
I tell the DJ what to play, I tell the MC what to say!
Like good music? Check out my podcast: http://www.musicaloccupation.com
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

I actually got a little excited for a second there.

Oh well, I'm sure something will come around eventually. Lots of series have gone longer than this without an update, so I'm not quite as pessimistic as some.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Doki Doki Suikoden was an april fools joke that IREM pulled off in 2001 (they're known for very elaborate april fools every year). The joke itself was a spoof of the Tokimeki Memorial series (made by Konami), and perhaps they spoofed the Suikoden series as well. However, because IREM has a sense of humor they decided to actually create a game based on their april fools.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Well, the game's been officially announced with a website.
http://www.irem.co.jp/contents/gallery/ ... index.html (somewhat not safe for work)

Seems like the game's primarily a spoof of Tokimeki, but it still retains a couple Suikoden aspects (108 characters, as the obvious example).

Edit: also, these last few posts should probably be made into a new thread concerning the new IREM game. Since the trademark's dead, we're pretty much done with this thread too.