New party system?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
naruki

New party system?

Post by naruki »

Since the Suikoden franchise's theme is based strongly on armies, don't you think it'll be better if each character can be accompanied by a squad (2 or 3 other non-unique characters). There should still be 6 Starbearers in a party but each Stars can be accompanied by 2 or 3 non-starbearers. They don't have to be unique characters, they could be simple characters like Swordsman, Archer, Assasin and etc. Its hard to implement this kind of system in the era of Suikoden I and V since its very demanding in terms of processing power but I'm sure 360 and PS3 can handle that easily.

Well, I don't think even an minor fraction of this message will be read by anyone in the Suikoden development team anyways.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: New party system?

Post by patapi »

I'm not a big fan of recruitable generics, and with 108 Stars they already have more than enough characters to make your idea work.

Isn't that how they handle some of the past strategy battles? Individual characters bring with them a certain number of people, hence increasing the soldier numbers of your army in the war. Suikoden had an obvious representation of this, so did Suikoden IV and V.
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

You mean EACH of them are with 2 or 3 soldiers? That's bringing an army with you!
Seriously, It will be making the easy Suikoden even more easier.
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

Unless there are 20-25 enemies in a battle. Of course you'd piss everyone off if you had the enemy encounter rate from S4.
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Iesous wrote: Of course you'd piss everyone off if you had the enemy encounter rate from S4.
That's what i'm talking about. If they do something like that then it's not challenging anymore. More of irritating.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

I think they should make army battles more fun and challenging before they start worrying about changing the party battle system.
"You got whacked because you're weak." - Magus
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

No idea how this would work in Suikoden setup, but maybe they should introduce in-game difficulty setting a la Persona to suit to individual tastes with regards to the game's difficulty (or there lackof). Then this additional mechanism would actually be worth having.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

I do agree with that last. Suiko5 was way too easy.
Shikton

Post by Shikton »

Horrible idea. It's been tried in The Last Remnant, and I hated it. Battles take far too long to finish, and it's all too messy. The 6-people party is tried, tested and approved, so I'd much rather prefer they stick to that. Even the 4-people parties in Suikoden 4 was a bad move.
I am Shikton, the Slayer of Bunnies.
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Well of course, the 6-member party system is perfect. And i love what they did in SV, allowing 4 other spots to fill with support or backup characters. Support characters saved the uselessness of other Stars unlike what happened in the first two games and SIV.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

I like the 6-man party "normal" party running around (usually as a recon group) and then big army battles. And the army battles in S3 were the best with your different units running around. I think S5 army battles are cool but a little too easy.
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

I have to agree the regular 6 party system is best for Suikoden its partly what seperates it from other RPG's. They should make the war battles more like S3 but maybe with more options. I liked the fact that you could customize a bunch of teams and it also made you level up characters maybe that you weren't too fond of, since the levels dictate the HP. SV wasn't a bad idea either except it was too easy and was only a little difficult when land and water battles were simutaneously.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
The fighting 108

Post by The fighting 108 »

naruki wrote:Since the Suikoden franchise's theme is based strongly on armies, don't you think it'll be better if each character can be accompanied by a squad (2 or 3 other non-unique characters). There should still be 6 Starbearers in a party but each Stars can be accompanied by 2 or 3 non-starbearers. They don't have to be unique characters, they could be simple characters like Swordsman, Archer, Assasin and etc. Its hard to implement this kind of system in the era of Suikoden I and V since its very demanding in terms of processing power but I'm sure 360 and PS3 can handle that easily.

Well, I don't think even an minor fraction of this message will be read by anyone in the Suikoden development team anyways.
So does this mean each battle would include up to 18 characters? Seems like it'd get pretty clunky and time consuming. The six party system works pretty well, and I liked the sV system of altering the formation to grant side bonuses.
Belcoot4 wrote:I have to agree the regular 6 party system is best for Suikoden its partly what seperates it from other RPG's. They should make the war battles more like S3 but maybe with more options. I liked the fact that you could customize a bunch of teams and it also made you level up characters maybe that you weren't too fond of, since the levels dictate the HP. SV wasn't a bad idea either except it was too easy and was only a little difficult when land and water battles were simutaneously.
I liked the sense of scale of the SV war battles, gave you the sense that your were really directing an army on the battlefield rather than co-ordinating strings of skirmishes. What made this type of battle annoying in SV though was the fact that your focus would shift whenever the unit's started fighting. If they just let them fight it out on their own it wouldn't have been so bad. One thing I would've liked is the ability to challenge the leaders of opposing units to Duels that would force the enemy to retreat or fight at a penalty if they lost.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

the fighting 108 wrote:One thing I would've liked is the ability to challenge the leaders of opposing units to Duels that would force the enemy to retreat or fight at a penalty if they lost.
Kessen style? I could get down with that. In fact, the Kessen engine might not be so bad to just adapt to future Suikoden war battles.