Let the Narcissists take the Political Spotlight

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Mio
Banned User

Let the Narcissists take the Political Spotlight

Post by Mio »

the biggest narcissist politico i've ever seen were Reinbach and Millich

a small island leader (feudal lord?) and a high ranking general

why not make a nation that is led by a narcissist

at least a force noteworthy during warfare such as Matilda Knights, Dragon Cavalry, heck even bandits have their own petty force reserved for any suikoden

so why not the narcissists?

Vincent claims an aristocratic lineage, which was quickly questioned as he turns out to be a penniless traveler

i just watched this 14th century-ish french movie and i notice that the king of France dress a lot like the narcissists minus the flamboyant colors and accesories

atrocious or justified?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: Let the Narcissists take the Political Spotlight

Post by KFCrispy »

because narcissists by definition only care about themselves! who would allow them to become leader?
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

their fellow narcissists...

they're not completely anti-social, they can have friends

like Simone and Vincent, or Reinbach and that other big-nosed guy

it's possible to enlarge this net to create a force of war

i myself would be curious to see how a narcissist soldier/infantry looks like

also if selfishness is a quite a moral obstacle to become or have a leader

bandits and pirates have more issues i think
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Most narcissistic characters seems to become leaders primarily due to coming from established lineage of nobility. This is obviously the case with Reinbach, and presumably with Oppenheimer.

Considering all of them (with the exception of Charlemagne) carry a family name, I guess they all have some ties to prominent families. Though I guess, like in the case of Yuma Valya, there is that option whether they end up as leaders or not.
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

why of course

aristocratic lineage...

that's one way to become a leader

why didn't I think of that

^_^
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

patapi wrote:Most narcissistic characters seems to become leaders primarily due to coming from established lineage of nobility. This is obviously the case with Reinbach, and presumably with Oppenheimer.

Considering all of them (with the exception of Charlemagne) carry a family name, I guess they all have some ties to prominent families. Though I guess, like in the case of Yuma Valya, there is that option whether they end up as leaders or not.
I thought Oppenheimer was one of the 5 great generals of the Scarlet Moon Empire. I don't think you can inherit a title like that.

On topic though, the idea that a Narcissist would be a political leader is not all that far-fetched, but the idea that a Narcissist would be a productive political leader is. Vanity and self-love runs to deep in them for them to be willing to fight for others, and unlikely to share the rewards.

I would say that Euram Barrows is a good example. Though he may not be definited as a Narcissist, he obviously shares their characteristics of self love and vanity. He was far from an effective leader.
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

JanusThePaladin wrote: but the idea that a Narcissist would be a productive political leader is. Vanity and self-love runs to deep in them for them to be willing to fight for others, and unlikely to share the rewards.
what's a story with a perfect leader anyway? there are always quirks

i'm not asking for a narcissist protagonist, i only ask for a force that you might possibly recruit

like the dragon riders, matilda knights, dragon knights, bandits, pirates etc.

each had their own quirks, and imo, the narcissists have a very VERY obvious quirk for 5 installments already

they've introduce less productive leaders in the past, so i don't see that becoming an obstacle, right?
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

If it happened, i would see them probably as bandits or pirates, though maybe leader of a nancy-boy country (cFoRuAgNhCE)
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

if it happened, i'd imagine to see flowery knights

or at least knights wearing colorful costumes like Millich

in a town with a soundtrack that has been played around narcissists since SI/SII (not sure when it started)

and prolly French talking townspeople
JanusThePaladin wrote:(cFoRuAgNhCE)
writing it this way killed the punch line
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

A force of narcissists would probably somewhat resemble King Charles I of England's cavaliers from the English civil war. Albeit more colourful I would imagine.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I think a narcissist would actually make a better villian than a hero due to his selfishness. Milich was a great example of how to do it well in that regard, forcing the villages to change their names and whatnot. But that has already been done, so it would be difficult to do it again. Also, the narcissists are comic characters in Suikoden and making one the hero might be difficult due to that, as the heros in these games are usually tragic figures.

Perhaps one could start out as a narcissist and then get a reality check by a tragic event and end up more grounded and toned down. That would be interesting.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Haha! Narcissist take spot lights! AHHHH... just kidding. Well, why not? I think it would be a great idea. The reason why is that they are selfish, and a selfish main character would be hilarious! THat hero would be such an asshole but I would sure get a big laugh. Oh.. and Oppenheimer already have much of it already in GS1
Nick Bruiser
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

why does "spotlight" suddenly means "hero"

i mean, what i meant was that a certain part of the suikoden story should be attributed to a force of narcissists, instead of pirates or knights

really doesn't have to be a hero or anything

just be almighty and powerful

like say for example, put Millich and multiply him by a thousand

there's your army

take Vincent and Simone and put them as townspeople NPCs

then you have a town, a narcissistic town, filled with flowers I presume

in short, replace Gorudo with Millich, Camus and Miklotov with Simone and Vincent

and you have a story to fill a chapter in the game, (just a very poor example, sorry)
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Ah, well Suikoden V had a narcissist town. The arty one, can't remember what it's called.

Also, Suikoden did have a narcissist regiment in the large battles.

More of that would be a-okay in my book.
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

Haud Village was a village for fraud artists

Josephine was only there because she's a stow away plus its the only artsy place where she can connect with

that doesn't mean that the entire village is devoted to Narcissists

Suikoden 1 indeed have a narcissist regiment

but it was composed of three pictures

we don't get to see flower knights... boo-hoo

or townspeople having tea in a vine garden surrounded by flowers like it happens every single day

or seeing a Barbarossa-ish leader in feather tufts and rose brooches

Reinbach(the father) was a bit of a let down for me