Does the number of recurring characters affect your game??

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Mio
Banned User

Does the number of recurring characters affect your game??

Post by Mio »

in other words, does having lots of recurring characters makes the game better or worse?

which do you prefer, high number of returning characters or few to none??

i think SII has the most number of returning characters

SI/Tactics being out of the question

and SIV being the game with the least returning character

correct me if I'm wrong ^_^

oh and explain your answer
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Re: Does the number of recurring characters affect your game??

Post by Oppenheimer »

I think it's important to have at least a mention of the previous Suikoden games. One of the great things about any series is that they don't live in a vacuum. Even Final Fantasy has their trademark things like Chocobos and Cid in every game. I like Suikoden because there are frequent refrences to Milich hehe.

But, I don't think it's neccessary to actually have a star of destiny come back other than Viki and Jeane, and even that is only good if there's a new tidbit about thier personality (as there was with Jeane in Suikoden V).
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

who'd have guessed you liked the references to Millich?? O_O

can it not be said that SIV is the least favorite because it has less recurring characters??
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

I don't think so. I think there are other factors that make S4 one of the more unpopular games in the series. I mean, technically S1 has no recurring characters and it's one of the favorites. :P
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Mio wrote:can it not be said that SIV is the least favorite because it has less recurring characters??
Although I don't recall a lot of mentions of specific characters, there were a number of mentions of the Scarlet Moon Empire as a whole and that is enough of a reference for me. Like I said, I like mentions of things from other games, but don't actually require it to be other people.

The original Suikoden referenced things in foreshadowing which were followed up in later games, so it's still not living in a vacuum, it's just a different way.
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

Oppenheimer wrote:The original Suikoden referenced things in foreshadowing which were followed up in later games, so it's still not living in a vacuum, it's just a different way.
Yes, but I was referring to actual characters.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Yeah, I know. I wasn't disagreeing, I'm kind of working outside of the exact wording of the topic.
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

soo, does anyone else have an opinion that is not exactly outside the wording of the topic??

is a Suikoden game better if it have more recurring characters or not

i have a thought about SI...

i played SII first so for me, the recurring characters in SII are also recurring while I was playing SI

my point is, i got interested in SI because of all the old character i've seen from SII

Futch, Flik, Viktor, Lepant

it's difficult to understand so feel free to ignore
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I'll go with Oppenheimer: Everytime I see some reference to other parts of the Suikoden World, I'm happy. I like it that they don't foget about the rest of the world.. I don't care about recurring characters, but I don't mind one or too.

To mee, S III was heavily referring to the previous titles as there are v#even descendants from previous SoDs. Fred is pretty cool ;)

Oh and to me, SI had as well recurring characters as I played it after S II. But then, I enjoyed the Gregminster scene a lot more as I saw all these characters no well-known to me...
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Recurring themes are important to me, but not specifically characters. Faithfulness to timelines makes Suikoden IV devoid of any important returning characters besides Ted and three staple witches, but it more than made up with heavy references to previous games through ancestors, possible ancestors, Silverberg and the Scarlet Moon Empire.

From one extreme to the other, we got Rhapsodia/Tactics with 90% of the characters that you got were returnees. To me, it was a double-edge feature, many of them had very little to do with the main storyline, but on the flip side the good will talks fleshed out a couple more things about these characters that didn't come out during the short course of Suikoden IV.

Case in point, I got into the series through the original game, and unlike many here, the absolute lack of reference to anything before it didn't make it any less enjoyable the first time. In fact, on subsequent playthroughs, I can actually better appreciate some of those late-joining losers, i.e. Clive, Pesmerga, etc.

Although I do hope returning characters are given the amount of spotlight that they deserve. Having another Pesmerga is the last thing we need. Two whole games he appeared in, none of it even elaborate on his story. Not even a mention by his supposed arch enemy, Yuber?

I'd rather have people like Lilly, Ted and Georg Prime, whose returns added so much to their stories, even if their influence to the new game plot varies.
amelia108

Post by amelia108 »

recurring characters is typically a plus. it does not make or break a game for me (and i hope it doesn't for anyone else for that matter). moments when it wasn't so much a plus was with lorelie and killey in v. killey especially. i wanted some kind of back-story, but he got barely any screen time. i don't much care for viki or jeane either. they basically play the same pointless role in every game, although they may mean something bigger in the long run.

however, suikoden ii was definitely largely enhanced with the returning to gregminster and the ability to recruit mcdohl (that made me so happy you don't even know). ted in iv was also nearly as great. georg in v was cool too.

anyway, i really liked the returning characters when i was younger, but now i'm more for the expansion of the suikoden world, or further telling of the story. if the next game didnt have a single returning character i dont think i would complain at all.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

To me, it depends on the character themselves. Not the number.

If they have a good reason for being there, then they should. Like I like the whole Lorelai concept, where's there's ancient ruins there's Lorelai. I like that. (Because I love Lorelai). And Luc, of course.

But it does make me happy to see characters from previous games that I loved, but too many of them would cause problems. . . . see, with them, there's no room for new characters that you can grow to love.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore