Suikoden 6, I hope there is no voice acting

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
zionprophecy

Re: Suikoden 6, I hope there is no voice acting

Post by zionprophecy »

I've been noticing theres a trend among reviewers that when voice actings now in it tend to get a lower review. It adds atmosphere, gets you more involved with the characters as either you love or hate their voice. While true it may break a game with terrible voice acting but at least its still there.
A reviewer the other day mentioned about i think it was a FPS a new one that the only play sucked, it had no support and seemed to be thrown in last minute. They made a good point that in todays games certain things should always be included, if they aren't it looks like a step backwards.

I try not to listen to reviewers but sometimes they make good points, and a lot of the public that may not recognize suikoden as a great RPG series will rely heavily on the review it gets whenever its released. So hopefully.....they dont mess it up haha. WE need more suikoden
I never said a word to my wife until i said yes to a divorce.
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

*EDITED*

I once posted here a very insighful and tasty yet personal response

too bad, none of you readers will ever read it again

shame though it was a very hot post
Alestes

Post by Alestes »

Unfortunately, voice acting is here to stay. So I'm hoping for the next best thing.

I really hope they let the player choose between english and japense voices in the next game. The japanese voice actors are usually quite superior when it comes to voice acting and gets the tone & feeling right. While many japanese video games with english voices just sound very monotonous like they are reading it right from the script with zero preparation.

And since the games have english text anyway, it doesn't matter that one can't understand what they say. It's the tone & feeling that's the important part.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

patapi wrote:Voice acting is pretty much a staple in games nowadays that Konami would probably be shooting in their own foot if they decide to go without.

Of course, what they should do is have three audio options: dubbed, subbed and silent. That way, they'd be catering for all the most common preferences when it comes to voice acting.
I agree.
Most games nowadays are giving us the option of having it in english or japanese. .

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Haroth

Post by Haroth »

I haven't heard the voice acting for S5, but I wouldn't expect much from it. Konami's going to shoot for another game with voice actors, I don't think there's any doubt about that. I'm not going to be silly enough to oppose that. Voice acting has become a norm in video games, whether we like it or not. Even hand-helds are embracing the idea. Why shouldn't they? Voice acting adds a whole new world of depth to characters, makes conversations more interesting, and adds to the plot. Of course, the voice actors have to do relatively well in order to see the whole effect. When you hear a male protagonist sound like a cross-dressing moron and the female protagonist sound like a dying pterodactyl, the mood of the game is really killed. But saying that voice acting doesn't belong in video games is like trying to deny 3D graphics in video games. It's just nonsensical, Have you ever played KotOR or any other modifiable game that originally has good, high-quality voice acting in every conversation? When you sit down and play a mod that lacks any voice acting, it really destroys the entire feel of the game.

I'm just hoping for the best in terms of Suikoden voice acting. I'm not expecting Jennifer Hale to make an appearance and I'm not expecting spectacular voice acting. I just don't want to expect to feel my ears bleed for the 30+ hours of gameplay offered to me. It'd be neat if they offered something similar to what Street Fighter IV did: customizable voice options for each character. They probably won't, though. I'd love to see an option for subbed Japanese voices.
Life is uncensored; prepare to blush.
Role

Post by Role »

I want dual audio. That way, if the english dub is made of fail, then I at least have the original Japanese, and they're usually known for having good quality.
King Krimson

Post by King Krimson »

i say it's fine with voice acting. i can't hear it anyway because im deaf XP in anycase if you don't like the voices turn SFX off?? x.x
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/1542/banner2bq6.gif

Luc - "then your definition of freedom is the ability to walk around a giant cell with an invisible leash around your neck"
Kud

Post by Kud »

If there is voice acting, I'd hope they'd have the main character say something then. It just makes it seem even more odd that he doesn't say anything. Someone will say something, then the main character just kind of smiles or frowns and flails his arms...
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

It's hard to get that many good voice actors. I'm a fan of voice acting but I think they should definitely have options. You should have the option to listen to the Japanese voice actors, the english voice actors, or no voice acting.
"You got whacked because you're weak." - Magus
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

I like the idea of having options on what language or no voice for the voices in the next Suikoden but I'm a big fan of having the voice acting as long as its done right. In SV there were some voices I thought could have been changed or better off without but there were others that gave the characters so much depth that an infinite amount of written words would never give the same effect. On the contrary, I do believe that the gamer should have their option to hear the voices or not because a lot of people like to use their own imgagination with the characters, hence RPG. I know it means 'Role Playing Game', but I like to think it could also be 'Realm Playing Game', meaning an imaginative world with imaginative people and with that I think that if people do not want to hear the voices they dont have to. I'm all for the voices though, if they can get quality voice actors then give voices to all 108 stars and all of the villains and some of the towns people. With voice acting and a few cinema clips the game becomes tangible, and for anyone whos played the Suikoden games multiple times getting attatched to the characters is easy. Seriously though in SV, and I'm not saying this because hes my fav character, Georg Prime could make you feel like he was a older brother, father, cool Uncle figure that everybody loves. I just loved how Georg and Ferid had that brotherly bond and without the voices I dont think the same effect would have been achieved.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
avenger

Post by avenger »

oh come on, we need the voices. besides ps3 or what ever system ain't gonna have us read anymore, take star ocean last hope the voices were good. so don't tell us no voices, it won't work. besides, how can a new generation system game play without hearing people talk? especially if it's an rpg... trust me we need the voices, if you don't want the voices then shut them off. or give us the option to read or hear...kay?
nobody

Post by nobody »

avenger wrote:oh come on, we need the voices. besides ps3 or what ever system ain't gonna have us read anymore, take star ocean last hope the voices were good. so don't tell us no voices, it won't work. besides, how can a new generation system game play without hearing people talk? especially if it's an rpg... trust me we need the voices, if you don't want the voices then shut them off. or give us the option to read or hear...kay?
I agree,we need the voice acting and if you want better voices then they could get i.e Johnny Yong Bosch,and Yuri Lowenthal for males,and Tara Strong,and Michelle Ruff for females.

Personally,i liked the voice acting in suikoden 4&5.
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

avenger wrote:oh come on, we need the voices. besides ps3 or what ever system ain't gonna have us read anymore, take star ocean last hope the voices were good. so don't tell us no voices, it won't work. besides, how can a new generation system game play without hearing people talk? especially if it's an rpg... trust me we need the voices, if you don't want the voices then shut them off. or give us the option to read or hear...kay?
Well, nowadays it is expected and pretty much required for console games. I agree that the game would probably suffer in the opinions of the non-hardcore fans if it lacked voice acting since most games have it now. If it's on a handheld, though, I'd rather it not have voices because the sped up voices in Tierkreis was just too bad.
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

I'm all for voice acting, with text of course. If the voices are that annoying they should have an option to turn the voices off or have the Japanese VAs intact as well with subtitles and if they are bad as well, maybe add an option to just turn them completely off.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

I would love to have the option to hear the Japanese voices with the English text. That was one of the things I liked about .Hack (pretty much the only thing, really).