The Next Suikoden Needs a Luca Blight Type Bad Guy...

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Simplicity

Re: The Next Suikoden Needs a Luca Blight Type Bad Guy...

Post by Simplicity »

To be honest with you, their way of hiding him made so curious lolz..

Then I want him to be a sane villain ,, not a crazy, misguided one... I want him to be a man/ woman of prospective and logic.. that would be more interesting.
"We are beyond humanity. We are beyond Salvation" -Ada Wong, Resident Evil 6.
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

If you ask me, it would be quite more interesting if Suikoden had a Luca Blight Type hero...
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Neclord X wrote:If you ask me, it would be quite more interesting if Suikoden had a Luca Blight Type hero...
And how the heck would that fit into the story if i could ask?

You're supposed to be the good guys, and if he's slaughtering enemy civilians for his pleasure etc.

How is that a Hero?
TrueWater00

Post by TrueWater00 »

haha yeah seriously? if you ask me the name Luca Blight, and Hero shouldn't even be in the same sentence together??? He was ( in my opinion ) the greatest video game villain of ALL TIME, so a Hero that is like Luca?? makes no sense.

PS. You find me a hero that makes a woman act and sound like a pig, and then slaughters her, and I will eat my hat, sir. lol
Heh,I'll make sure you can never make that grin again.I'll chop you up!Ground you up!Dry you in the sun!Break you to pieces!Bury you in the ground!Piss on you!Then i'll dig you up!Pull you!Stretch you!Drag you around!I'll Never Forgive You-Viktor
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

Hirathien wrote:
Neclord X wrote:If you ask me, it would be quite more interesting if Suikoden had a Luca Blight Type hero...
And how the heck would that fit into the story if i could ask?

You're supposed to be the good guys, and if he's slaughtering enemy civilians for his pleasure etc.

How is that a Hero?
It's called antihero

Your're not supossed to be the good guys. You are the protagonist.

Suikoden has established very times that there is not "good" or "evil" just different points of view.

Was Jowy evil? Was Luc evil? Was Lord Godwin evil? Their actions don't differ to much from Luca.

I'll find it quite interesting idea:
Your Tactician: Let's burn some villages then our enemiy will fear and tremble

Hero (option 1): Sure

Hero (option 2): There isn't other option?

Hero (option 3): DIE PIG! (Kill the tactician)
:lol:
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Ok. I'm just gonna assume you at least played Suikoden II. Did you forget that part when he blatantly says his is the True Face of Evil?

Did you forget the pillaging of the Rubye village, whatever it's called, When he made a Woman squeal like a pig, walk around on the ground, until he just had it and raised his sword and said "HAHAHAHA DIE PIG!!!!!"

He also slaughtered an entire Brigade to start a War, when it was actually peace. Good guy eh?
He wanted to kill Pilika for no reason. Good guy, don't you think he'd be dandy at Parties?

Luc wanted to be free of his curse, Leon wanted to end the war with minimum casualties and Godwin just wanted to Unite Falena under a single banner, ruled by an ironfist.

Luca wanted to start a war, to Kill thousands of people.

Antihero is people you can actually like, but they're evil, but not I'm da evil man.

Get your facts straight.
27x4=108

Post by 27x4=108 »

If there is a balance, and caos is needed as much as order, maybe then it will be logic that a Suikoden could have someone like Yuber as a Tenkai.

Luca it will be hard, he only want death, and that is not caos at all.
Sorry for my very bad english! :S
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

Hirathien wrote:Antihero is people you can actually like, but they're evil, but not I'm da evil man.

Get your facts straight.
Mi point is...why the protagonist must be a good boy who leads a rebelion to free their country from the "big bad empire"?

Don't you think it could be interesting a protagonist who is a bad guy? Someone who leads the big bad empire against the filthy rebels? Someone full of rage and hate.

You say "Antihero is people you can actually like, but they're evil, but not I'm da evil man" i think that's exactly why the jrpgs are stuck (one of the reasons at least), even antiheroes who are usually evil are not sooooo evil. That's why i think it would be interesting someone truly evil for a change.

I don't see problems to do it, the only question is if is "politically correct".

Look Kotor, for example, you can play the game being a really bad guy or a really good guy. Personally, I found the dark side route quite more interesting and original than the other one.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Because you're supposed to able to relate to the protagonist. If rage and hate is all someone is, then sorry, not interested.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Well, I could have remained silent, but I guess make a long statement.

First, an "Anti-Hero" is not a bad-guy as the protagonist. An anti-hero is simply a character that does not concern itself with traditional notions of heroism. A good example of an anti-hero is "The Dude" from the film "The Big Lebowski." Someone like Luca Blight could never be an anti-hero, simply because their character is still defined in the terms of traditional heroism, even if that character is a representation of the opposing amoral nature. In this case, "Anti" does not mean "opposite," it simply means "without." The anti-hero itself is largely a product of the post-modernist movement, which does not concern itself with traditional conceptions of heroism found throughout polemical literature.

Luca, were he to be a protagonist in a game, would be defined as Noir. Noir itself means "darkness" and its intent is not to explore what are seen as well-mapped moral grounds, but rather to portray people in states of darkness, as a means to illustrate moral and psychological trappings. I guess the closest thing to this can be found in Le Compte de Monte Cristo, The Count of Mote Cristo. The protagonist, Edmund Dantes, is a once-good person who is twisted and seeking revenge. He plans murder and intrigue, and involves many innocent people in his quest. However, keep in mind that at the end of the novel, (or, it was actually a serial) Dantes is redeemed, and he gives up his quest for revenge and leaves Paris to live a peaceful life.

Luca Blight is a man who -while a child- was kidnapped. He watched his father flee in terror, and the game implies that he also watched his mother become victimized by a horrible act of violence. He then vows revenge against Jowston, who sent the attackers, and his father, whom he feels is a coward. This sets up his actions in Suikoden II. The use of psychology here, especially the implication of a heavy trauma, is particularly post-Freudian. While authors like Tolstoy, Doestevski, Dickens, Wilde, and Poe and had an intimate -even brilliant- knowledge of psychology before the advent of the modern theories by Freud and Jung, this type of heavy trauma was rarely explored until the modernist era. Luca can be considered a "Modernist" antagonist, because of his character's exploration of these psychological trappings, while his actions as an antagonist somewhat disqualify him for a position in postmodernism.

Suikoden, as a rule, has a modernist -or post enlightenment- approach to its antagonists. Though, you cannot discount the obvious influence of Medieval literature in this vein as well. Often, Medieval literature does not concern itself with an antagonist at all. Take "Sir Gwain and the Green Knight." This Arthurian tale tells of Gwain, who is an upstanding and noble man, given a moral test, which he fails in the most understandable way. At the end, Gwain apologizes and the Green Knight forgives Gwain for his small moral failing, and everyone ends up being friends. This is an important story, simply because it contains no antagonist at all. Romance of the Three Kingdoms, while it does contain some truly brutal and amoral characters, mostly focuses on the moral fissures in its protagonists, and how these fissures cause them to be lead to their own downfall. I have never read Water Margin, unfortunately, but I don't think it is too much to assume that is behaves in the same manner in its approach to the antagonist.

I guess in the end it all depends on your view -not of the antagonist itself- but of the role that the antagonist plays in the story. While exploration of psychology is interesting and adds much to the game if done correctly, it is not as important as choosing the correct role for the antagonist to fill. Thus, if the next Suikoden had a bad-guy who was bad just because he was evil, I would be disappointed. But if the antagonist fills a role that allows for a greater moral and psychological storytelling, then that would be in line with the other games in the series.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Yeah, that's what I meant. :wink:
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I don't think so. I probably posted in this before, but I can't remember.
But I think they should try something else.

They tried to create another Luca Blight in Suikoden 5. And failed. (YES HE WAS TRYING TO BE LIKE HIM!!! What? You don't think so? I'll cut ya. ...)

I'd like it more if they brought a new kind of evil to the table. There's many kinds and since we've already seen the Evil but only because he's being controlled, and the Evil because he's a crazy mofo -- I'd like to see something else.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

If you mean Childerich, then nah. He wasn't fleshed out enough to be a Luca Blight character.
TrueWater00

Post by TrueWater00 »

RangerDeon Does mean Childerich, and they DID TRY to make him as a Luca Blight type character and Failed Miserably, Everyone says V was the closest to II ( I wasn't very impressed with V) but they tried wayy too hard to have Childerich Copy the Insanity of Luca, it was Quite Lame.
Heh,I'll make sure you can never make that grin again.I'll chop you up!Ground you up!Dry you in the sun!Break you to pieces!Bury you in the ground!Piss on you!Then i'll dig you up!Pull you!Stretch you!Drag you around!I'll Never Forgive You-Viktor
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Hirathien wrote:If you mean Childerich, then nah. He wasn't fleshed out enough to be a Luca Blight character.
They tried. Of course they aren't going to make him exactly like Luca. That would be...unoriginal (like most of Suikoden V. Lets be honest) but he was similar. He was supposed to be the ruthless killer like Luca he had many of Luca's traits...just....not with as much impact as Luca.

But yeah, they were going for Luca replica.

And I noticed that Suikoden V was a lot like Suikoden II in some ways. It's like the whole FF7 deal. You know, fans loved it so much (like Suikoden II) and consider it the best that the people made their later games with similarities.
TrueWater00 wrote:Everyone says V was the closest to II ( I wasn't very impressed with V) but they tried wayy too hard to have Childerich Copy the Insanity of Luca, it was Quite Lame.

I agree. And there's a reason why you weren't impressed much with the story of Suikoden V -- it was trying to be Suikoden II-like. To prevent being misquoted: While I often call it a carbon-copy, it wasn't. But it was a lot like Suikoden II. And we've already seen that. Why go back?

Which is why I believe that instead of getting another psycho, we should experience other sides of evil. That way no one would look at a bad guy and be all "ugh....Luca did that...."

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore