Murayama breaking back into the gaming industry. Hope for Suikoden?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Talcinel

Murayama breaking back into the gaming industry. Hope for Suikoden?

Post by Talcinel »

"The story and setting is being supervized by Yoshitaka Murayama, best known as the creator of the Suikoden series."

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2018/05/09/wa ... kTWzSti.99

So, between this and The Alliance Alive, it seems Murayama is finally breaking back into the gaming industry again! This makes me ecstatic! Now, it doesn't mean we'll be getting a new Suikoden anytime soon, but also taking this statement from his 2016 interview:

Given the opportunity, would you be willing to help make a new Suikoden game?
If the production environment allowed for it to be made right.

And

Will you celebrate the 20th anniversary of the series with some of your coworkers from back then?
I drink with the original team members at the end of each year even now. I think it’s rare for a team to remain as close as we have.

It does give me some hope for the future of the series. I think our best bet at this point is hoping Konami sells the publishing rights one day, or they(or whoever has the rights in the future) hire Murayama freelance like how he did for The Alliance Alive and now WO4.

What do you guys think? Is Murayama coming back into the industry reigniting your hope or nay?
Antimatzist

Re: Murayama breaking back into the gaming industry. Hope for Suikoden?

Post by Antimatzist »

Not really. But it's a good thing that he returns anyway, but for the future of Suikoden, it doesn't depend on him, but on Konami.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I'm still holding out for a remake of Suikoden 1. Remakes have been quite big lately. Final Fantasy 7 got a remake. Resident Evil 2 has been remade. It's bittersweet playing Suikoden 1 because I still love the story and characters but the gameplay is so limiting. If it does happen and I get to play it, then I'll die happy.
MagkAutumn

Post by MagkAutumn »

sticky-runes wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:16 am I'm still holding out for a remake of Suikoden 1.
I think I would prefer any other game besides 1 to be remade. For all intents and purposes, Suikoden 1 was just a Suikoden 2 demo put out to fund Suikoden 2. Plus if they do fan favorites, like with Final Fantasy and Resident Evil, it's gonna be 2 that they remake.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Better to remake from the beginning, as the first game is most in need of improvements. Besides, Resident Evil remade 1 before 2.
MagkAutumn

Post by MagkAutumn »

Meh, you must have not played 3 or 4.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

of course I have. Every game could use improvements in some way or other. So they might as well start with the very first game.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

I think it would be amazing if Murayama was able to return to Suikoden and make the game we're all waiting for.

HOWEVER I think the fandom might be holding on to him a little too hard. If he has let Suikoden go in his mind, then it may be that he's not the best person to revive the series. A talented writer who is passionate about the original series would be preferable to its creator if he isn't as invested as he used to be. The idea that Suikoden's revival hinges on him is an opinion I've seen a lot, and imo it's not a positive one.

All that said, I think the return of his writing talents can only be positive for the industry and the genre of RPGs in particular, and if there is a future Suikoden project, I would hope that he's involved ^-^
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Well I don't think Murayama was involved with 5 and that game was amazing so I'd be happy for the series to pick up without him, but if he was willing to have another bash at Suikoden for at least one more game, then I'd be happy with that as well.
Kitphiroth

Post by Kitphiroth »

MagkAutumn wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:59 am
sticky-runes wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:16 am I'm still holding out for a remake of Suikoden 1.
I think I would prefer any other game besides 1 to be remade. For all intents and purposes, Suikoden 1 was just a Suikoden 2 demo put out to fund Suikoden 2. Plus if they do fan favorites, like with Final Fantasy and Resident Evil, it's gonna be 2 that they remake.
That's not true. Suikoden 1 was not just a demo for 2, lol. Suikoden 1 just came out during a lot of other, more popular games.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Kitphiroth wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:35 am
MagkAutumn wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:59 am
That's not true. Suikoden 1 was not just a demo for 2, lol. Suikoden 1 just came out during a lot of other, more popular games.
Suikoden is pretty much only a demo and a test what they could do with the new console. The story for Suikoden II was planned out first, but then they decided to make the first game to play around basically. When Suikoden came out, there wasn't really any competition on the console yet.
DreamyWarrior00

Post by DreamyWarrior00 »

This is the first i'm seeing these quotes! Some people are kind of weary on making another Suikoden even with Murayama at the helm. Myself however absolutely would like another Suikoden. I mean I need to know what happens after Suikoden III! I also wouldn't mind a remake of Suikoden I (heard people say the translation of 1 was really bad and missed about 40% of details) but it would be awesome if they remade it in the style of octopath with 2d sprites on 3d backgrounds along with the sega saturn extra scenes! Being greedy I would love it if said remake also had some prequel chapters about the war of succession.
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

sticky-runes wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:16 am I'm still holding out for a remake of Suikoden 1. Remakes have been quite big lately. Final Fantasy 7 got a remake. Resident Evil 2 has been remade. It's bittersweet playing Suikoden 1 because I still love the story and characters but the gameplay is so limiting. If it does happen and I get to play it, then I'll die happy.
No remakes, pls. I been eager for new contents for years. I wouldn't sign for a new game that is only the same old stuff. Also, probably it would be something that nothing had to do with the original game in terms of gameplay.

Also, I still firmly believe that if we see suikoden resurrected at some point, probably it will be one of those gacha mobile phone games.
borjitasstoi

Post by borjitasstoi »

prefer suikoden 1&2 for other ports
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Currently there is significant chatter regarding an impending announcement by Murayama -- well, he is saying this himself.

https://twitter.com/bmsmurayama

He says in it Japanese, so to translate... he is saying he is ready to announce his next big project in... a day or so.
His recent tweets have all been about looking at old Suikoden material he had to "excavate" (his office is a total mess... there's a youtube video showing his office in an interview and it is actually filthy-looking...).
As a result, many fans are speculating we may finally get the announcement we have been waiting for.