Is making a backup of your Suik games ok?

For asking questions about how to obtain copies of the actual videogames themselves.
Greywolf

Is making a backup of your Suik games ok?

Post by Greywolf »

I haven't posted on these boards in a long time. This is a bit long, and I hope it's in the right forum. I apologize if it isn't.

I have a copy of each Suikoden, (1-5 and Tactics,) and 2 copies of Suik 1, (I thought I lost the original and bought another from a bargain bin in Blockbuster. Later I found the original.) The problem is, these CDs are not exactly eternal, and I figure eventually they'll stop functioning. One of my PSX games has stopped functioning, and it's not because it's got scratches on it. It simply failed due to age. I am worried about this happening to my Suik games.

Since I have a hard copy of each game, is it legal and ethical for me to get copies of them all for my computer so I can play them should the hard copy breaks down? I don't think it's such a problem for 3-5 and Tactics, because those are still comparatively common and I can get another hard copy, but with 1 and especially 2 I definitely think it needs to be considered.

The horrible thing is I bought Suik 2 when it first came out... lost it somehow... and then bought ANOTHER copy because I really wanted to play it. This was at the point when Suik 2 was super expensive already. The guy was going to sell it to me for $25 bucks, but I told him its true worth because I couldn't rip him off like that, and he decided to sell it to me for 60 rather than the 110-120 it actually ran for. If this game breaks down I'll shoot myself in the face. That's pretty much why I am asking this.

Thanks for your help.
"Wisdom begins with wonder." -- Albert Einstein
mhatter106

Re: Is making a backup of your Suik games ok?

Post by mhatter106 »

I think it's fine, but based on what you wrote below, I an't imagine my ethical standard is anywhere near yours. But as long as it's nto for commericial use and just personal, it's fine ot make a copy i woudl think.

That being said, someone told me that its actually now illegal to rip mp3s to your own computer from CDs you already bought and own. I can't confirm the veracity of that , but ti soudns like soemthign the RIAA would push for. damn em.
Greywolf wrote: The horrible thing is I bought Suik 2 when it first came out... lost it somehow... and then bought ANOTHER copy because I really wanted to play it. This was at the point when Suik 2 was super expensive already. The guy was going to sell it to me for $25 bucks, but I told him its true worth because I couldn't rip him off like that, and he decided to sell it to me for 60 rather than the 110-120 it actually ran for.
Pesmerga VS. Yuber

Post by Pesmerga VS. Yuber »

First, I would have bought that game for $25. Second, I would make a copy right now. My S2 CD is so old and scratched that I can't make a copy of it (but I can make it work to play it). So if you can make a copy do it NOW!!!! or it would be too late.
Power?
Am I looking for Power?
Ever since...The first day I saw you...
I somehow knew...That we would be friends.
I was never lonely...Because you were there.
We chose...Life and death together.
I believed in you...Always...
Mackasplaff

Post by Mackasplaff »

I say just do it. It´s not like you ripping anyone off so your moral should be intact.
mhatter106 wrote:That being said, someone told me that its actually now illegal to rip mp3s to your own computer from CDs you already bought and own. I can't confirm the veracity of that , but ti soudns like soemthign the RIAA would push for. damn em.
What?? That sounds crazy, doesn´t that mean that you cannot legally listen to the record you just bought on your mp3? Wouldn´t surprise me if it is true though.
Mikain Clan King

Post by Mikain Clan King »

hope you guys still read this topic...can someone explain to me how making a back up would work on your computer? and would all i have to do is put it in the computer and burn it to another cd? i want my suikodens to live forever!.....hehe maybe i'll get my kids to play it when i get outta high school get married and have them.
"The duel with Genkaku.... It continues here....."
-Han Cunningham

"This is your final test... Can you win this time, Riou?"
-Leon Silverburg
whileheavenwept

Post by whileheavenwept »

Making a backup copy of any copyrighted material is illegal. To legally make a copy of it, you would first need the consent of the copyright holder (Konami), as well as the licence to reproduce the software. In terms of music I know this is called mechanical rights (allows you to make a backup of a music CD), although i'm not sure if thats the correct term for video games. You would have to pay for the mechanical rights, as well as probably pay the copyright holder for their consent. That being said, I doubt Konami would know or even care if you made a copy of a 10+ year old game theyre not producing anymore for your own personal use. Now if you were making copies to sell, that is a different story... they would likely take legal action.

@Mikain Clan King: You would need a playstation emulator if you want to play it on your computer. ePSXe is a good emulator, just search for it on google. There was also an official copy of Gensosuikoden 1 for windows based PC's. However it was released in Japan only and is somewhat hard to come by these days.
mcatra

Post by mcatra »

Indeed, it is quite illegal. :\ Depressing, isn't it?
starsfromfate108

Post by starsfromfate108 »

yeah as along as you don't sell the games to friends family etc...
Mikain Clan King

Post by Mikain Clan King »

whileheavenwept wrote:@Mikain Clan King: You would need a playstation emulator if you want to play it on your computer. ePSXe is a good emulator, just search for it on google. There was also an official copy of Gensosuikoden 1 for windows based PC's. However it was released in Japan only and is somewhat hard to come by these days.
Yeah I have it on ePSXe...a couple days ago I finally found Suikogaiden! Also got card stories, even though they confuse the crap outta me (japanesse) and take up alot of my flashdrive's memory its worth it. But I saw a video of how to make a PS1 disc but the program they had up-dated and now you can't make older system discs...
"The duel with Genkaku.... It continues here....."
-Han Cunningham

"This is your final test... Can you win this time, Riou?"
-Leon Silverburg