Do Suikoden 1 & 2 HAVE to be rereleased?

For asking questions about how to obtain copies of the actual videogames themselves.
Jack of All Trades

Do Suikoden 1 & 2 HAVE to be rereleased?

Post by Jack of All Trades »

Hi, I'm Jack, I'm new here and I was just thinking. Eventually, all pc games become abandonware eventually right? What about Playstation games. If Konami does nothing with the games for so long a period of time, doesn't it become legal for the public to make copies or to distribute the game as long as it doesn't turn a profit?

Furthermore, if this is the case, when would this take effect? Would we have to play them on the pc (with some type of emulator), will a ps2 modchip allow you to play burnt ps1 games, or will we have to buy a ps1 as well.

Its really a shame, these are my favorite rpgs, I feel really bad for anybody that hasn't had a chance to play a game series with so much content before. I just can't see anybody whose only played s4 and s3 jumping out of their seats to buy these things. I guess if it was possible I'd like to get them back for myself and find some way to share them over the internet.

Is that possible?
Anamanaguchi

Post by Anamanaguchi »

Just letting you know. Playing them on Emulator wouldnt be the same, the sprites looks ugly and the music sounds sketchy. My cousin did, and it wasn't pretty. They have torrents for it and plenty of other games at the site where I download OST's for video games. If you absolutely cannot get a copy of this then you would have to play it on emulator, it may not be the same but the story still has plenty of heart. Don't ask me where to get them by the way, that would make me feel like im selling out Suikoden somehow.. hah.
Jack of All Trades

You wouldn't be selling out squat. I've purchased and not sold the first game twice and I've both purchased the sequal once and recieved as a gift once as well.

You see I was a victim of theft the first time my games were stolen and the second time I was a victim of a failing relationship. The ex-fiance kept my psone and all my games, sad thing is she doesn't even play them, hell she doesn't even have them anymore. She's thrown them away.

It sucks pretty bad but thats the way things go. Its not until recently that I discovered how rare they were. I like the series so much. I called up the ex-girlfriend and asked for em back.

We broke up three years ago.
Yubers-Apprentice

Re: Do Suikoden 1 & 2 HAVE to be rereleased?

Post by Yubers-Apprentice »

Jack of All Trades wrote:Hi, I'm Jack, I'm new here and I was just thinking. Eventually, all pc games become abandonware eventually right? What about Playstation games. If Konami does nothing with the games for so long a period of time, doesn't it become legal for the public to make copies or to distribute the game as long as it doesn't turn a profit?

Furthermore, if this is the case, when would this take effect? Would we have to play them on the pc (with some type of emulator), will a ps2 modchip allow you to play burnt ps1 games, or will we have to buy a ps1 as well.

Its really a shame, these are my favorite rpgs, I feel really bad for anybody that hasn't had a chance to play a game series with so much content before. I just can't see anybody whose only played s4 and s3 jumping out of their seats to buy these things. I guess if it was possible I'd like to get them back for myself and find some way to share them over the internet.

Is that possible?
It's probably not possible not enough people are fans of the game so I don't expect them to rerelease the game for us hardcore fans which is sad because I really want to get Suikoden 1 & 2 I don't want to spend over $100 for a PS game so If Konami ever does rerelease Suikoden games you can gurantee I will get them.
I've beaten Suikoden 1,Suikoden 2,Suikoden 3,Suikoden 4

I still have to beat Suikoden 5...

"Patience is a Virtue"

"If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life then let's all get drunk and have a good
time."
Jack of All Trades

Well yeah. That goes without saying. I think we'd all buy a re-release of the games. My question is this though. Since the games have esentially been abandoned. Are they considered abandonware? Is it illegal to make copies. If I managed to get the game would it be illegal to share it with others, who unlike myself have never had the chance to play them. I'd like to be community minded if I it was possible.

Is it illegal to make non-backup copies?
Will those copies work on a moded PS2?
Is it illegal to share them?
How about over the internet?
Can console games even be considered abandonware?
Anamanaguchi

Post by Anamanaguchi »

Questions, questions, questions. Of coarse it is illegal to share them. Just ask yourself. Is it illegal to make back up copies of cd's? No. This applies to a lot of media. You just can't share them. Lots of people ignore this and end up in trouble. Like Supernova.org.. Wow, they had a lot of Playstation games in active torrents, including PS2, XBox, Gamecube. They had movies, even releaeses in theatres, a shitt load of bootlegs. It was insane. But they were shut down. [very unfortunate, I downloaded a lot of my manga and subbed anime from there].
Jack of All Trades

I figured it was illegal. I heard something about computer games becoming abandonware after a long enough period of time. I thougt console games might follow the same formula.

Ah, whats a guy to do? Thanks for answering me though
Anamanaguchi

Post by Anamanaguchi »

Dunno man. I can't tell you or give you hints on where those sites are. Against the rules. Abandonware? I never heard anything about that. But games are copyrighted as long as the company exists, I don't think the game will ever be free.
Jack of All Trades

its cool. I'm a capable guy. I'm wierd though. I think I'd rather just pay for the games on ebay, I'd rather have the actual copies anyway. I'm still definately going to make back up copies though.
AlphaSigmaOne

Post by AlphaSigmaOne »

Anamanaguchi wrote:Just letting you know. Playing them on Emulator wouldnt be the same, the sprites looks ugly and the music sounds sketchy. My cousin did, and it wasn't pretty. They have torrents for it and plenty of other games at the site where I download OST's for video games. If you absolutely cannot get a copy of this then you would have to play it on emulator, it may not be the same but the story still has plenty of heart. Don't ask me where to get them by the way, that would make me feel like im selling out Suikoden somehow.. hah.
I completely disagree. It might have something to do with the limitations of your cousin's computer, but I doubt it since they are 2-D games--the necessary resources are quite small. It could simply be a matter of him (her?) not really understanding the PSX emulation process.

As far as the sound goes, in GS, yes there are sound errors, but not anymore than there are on the actual game. GS was a very (sound) buggy game. If owned three copies of it, and each one was just as buggy. Of course, theses errors might have simply been amplified by the computer's sound card or speakers. (probably more powerful than those on a TV), or perhaps he didn't have the best drivers.

But, in terms of Suiko II, I have yet to hear on sound error. In fact, it sounds incredible.

As for as the graphics go, with the right plugin and filters, the games look incredible; especially Suikoden II. The sprites are all nice and crisp and clear. The colors really stand out. And, the spell animations, in Suiko II at least, almost look like they could have come off a PS2.

The one thing, however, is did you cousin obtain his copy via Bittorrent? That could be the problem right there. You don't know who made the file or how good the product was to begin with. In my case, I use ISO Buster and rip the games myself from my own copies that are all in pristine order. That way I know I'm getting a nice, clean and uncorrupted rip.
Uh Oh
Anamanaguchi

Post by Anamanaguchi »

YUP. The torrent he got it from wasn't ripped well. But the other games he downloaded looked nice. mostly 3D. Like Brave Fencer looked a lot better since it is all 3D graphics, and on a better computer.. well the results are pretty obvii.
AlphaSigmaOne

Post by AlphaSigmaOne »

See, that's might be is problem right there. He was playing a 2D game with a graphics plugin that was ment for 3D games. (Probably one of Pete's I'd assume.)

If he wants to try the Suikoden games again, tell him to try the P.E.Op.S Soft Driver. I think verion 1.15 is the one to get. Then set the resolution to 1152 x 864 (with refresh rate that equals monitor's), color depth to 32 and then in stretching turn on 2xSal (or Super 2xSal if his computer can handle it) with full screen streching.
Uh Oh
Blacken

Post by Blacken »

Jack of All Trades wrote:Well yeah. That goes without saying. I think we'd all buy a re-release of the games. My question is this though. Since the games have esentially been abandoned. Are they considered abandonware? Is it illegal to make copies. If I managed to get the game would it be illegal to share it with others, who unlike myself have never had the chance to play them. I'd like to be community minded if I it was possible.

Is it illegal to make non-backup copies?
Will those copies work on a moded PS2?
Is it illegal to share them?
How about over the internet?
Can console games even be considered abandonware?
Abandonware is illegal. Period.
Orko

Post by Orko »

As was said above my post, abandonware is illegal.
And Suikoden wouldn't be considered abandonware for a long, long, long time anyway.
Clive580

Post by Clive580 »

Jack of All Trades wrote:its cool. I'm a capable guy. I'm wierd though. I think I'd rather just pay for the games on ebay, I'd rather have the actual copies anyway. I'm still definately going to make back up copies though.
In malyasia and the philipines they sell S1 & S2 for less than 25 cents :wink: As well as other games but they are all copies so if you're willing to by them and ship them then get somebody to buy you it for you but I don't live there i just have friends there :roll: so why waste money on expensive CDs when you can get them easily.
Zincbrain is my name an IQ of 500 is my game