Should Konami re-release Suikoden 1/2 as a compilation set?

For asking questions about how to obtain copies of the actual videogames themselves.
prime_2004

Should Konami re-release Suikoden 1/2 as a compilation set?

Post by prime_2004 »

I would like to know what people think of the idea of Konami re-releasing the Suikoden 1 and 2 as a compilation set, like the Final Fantasy sets Square-Enix has out, or the Arc the Lad set Working Designs has released. Would it be a good idea? What would you want to see on it other than the games themselves? What can we do to show Konami that we would like something like this? I personally think that it's a good idea, especially for those of us who don't already own the originals or can't afford the prices of the games on e-bay, and can't find the games at Gamestop.
Fudce

Post by Fudce »

yes
prime_2004

Post by prime_2004 »

Does anyone have any ideas on how we can get this accomplished.. . . . ? I've already e-mailed konami about this idea but i don't know how well that will work......
Dragon Knight Futch

Post by Dragon Knight Futch »

Petition, or if the owners of this site think its a good enough idea , get a petetion started here, But i highly doubt Konami will realse this because there arent any where near enough fans of suikoden for it to make a profit that they need, There more likely going to make a better profit off a sequel or prequel with (5) than a remake of 2 and 1 ,unless the recreation sparked new buyers, but most new rpg gamers want voices and 3d, the only reason Final Fantasy makes so much money on remakes is because of its history of the games, where as suikoden doesnt have such a history, and when new buyers see the name Final Fantasy , all they think is a awsome rpg, where as if u said suikoden to some one theyd say what the? lol

Edit- A remake in America that is, In Japan it could sell very well for all i know
prime_2004

Post by prime_2004 »

I'm not so much looking for a re-make, although that would be cool, just a compilation disc of Suikoden 1 and 2 on a PS2 dvd. And I think the idea of a petition to Konami over this would be a great idea, because we need to let Konami know that we want these games. :D It alldepends on whether or not the other users on this board are interested in working on a petition. . . . . .
Dragon Knight Futch

It could be possible, seeing as it wouldnt be much work for konami and seeing as the games are allredy made. Just the fact if konami thinks it will sell, but maybe they could make suikoden 5 a 70$ game and make it a bounus package or something. :mrgreen:
KoyuRedd

Post by KoyuRedd »

Yeah… Maybe rereleasing S1 and 2 along with 5 is a good idea. I can't play my copies on PS2 because they're not original, and it would be nice to be able to buy them for PS2.

I've already sent an e-mail myself (6 months ago) but haven't gotten a reply since then.

I think we should go with the petition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dragon Knight Futch

definatly, we should create a petition post, or something, I know alot of people around the World that I could get to sign it, But I think the Petetion life is more going towards a US realse of Suikogaiden's, but it never hurts to try anything.
jeane is the coolest char

Post by jeane is the coolest char »

go go petition!
i think they should remake this i want to play suidoken one and two bad!
i have bad grammer >.<
Jeane is my hero
KoyuRedd

Post by KoyuRedd »

Wow. All we need is a theme song and this will seem exactly like Suikoden!
prime_2004

Post by prime_2004 »

So we all seem to agree that a petition is the way to go with this, but what all do we want to ask from Konami? do we want the Suikoden 1 & 2 game disc to be a standalone release or bundle it with Suikoden 5? and where should we get the petition started, here or at an online petition site?
Shirofan

Post by Shirofan »

Suikosource will not host this petition because frankly if you don't have a clear request that you are likely to get at least ten thousand verifiable signatures for, then it will not be taken seriously by Konami.

Of course if you want support from PAL users you will need to request both Konami of America and Konami of Europe rerelease, which means you will need even more verifiable signatures.

In order to convince either company to rerelease the games then you have to demonstrate that there is profitability in the endeavour. And you need to do so with minimal effort involved by the company.

As such asking for a release on PS2 or PSP stands even less chance of being taken seriously than asking for the Playstation discs to be rereleased. Also asking for the known glitches to be removed from the NTSC version of Suikoden II wouldn't be a good idea either.

Frankly you stand virtually no chance of getting enough support to change anyone's mind over this issue.

As such we will not host such a petition on Suikosource as it would end up with the administration having to filter the signatures for validity; and in the end there would be a couple of thousand at most, that is not going to be enough for anyone to take it seriously.

By all means go ahead and make a petition elsewhere, if it is well organised we'll link to it to see if you get anything from it; but remember that online petitions are badly received by companies because details are often faked to boost numbers.
You need verifiable data collected which people may be unwilling to give, such as real names, addresses, phone numbers and the like; email addresses are almost useless because people tend to have several and duplication is likely, even if the addresses are real.
What is the difference between PAL and NTSC? Why do some games take ages to get a PAL conversion, or get none whatsoever?
Find the answers and more at http://www.palcorner.com or ask at the forums.
prime_2004

Post by prime_2004 »

Oh, ok. Thank you for setting me straight on that. I didn't realize that petitons could be such a waste of time. And i understand your position on not hosting any such thing here. it would be a lot of pain and aggravation on your part. So, I guess that we should just forget the whole thing, and go on being gouged by eBay, or just not playing the games because we can't afford them.(those of us that can't afford it that is.) I'm not trying to be sarcastic with this message, but it is very very disheartening to realize that no matter what you do, you can't make a difference in the world and that no one's voice can be heard. So I'm sorry that i brought this topic up, I guess I should have just kept my mouth shut and minded my own business.
Shirofan

Post by Shirofan »

While my earlier post was meant to be very pessimistic and stressed the potential uselessness of any petition I deliberately did not state that it couldn't work, just that it was highly unlikely to.

There have been times when overwhelming fan contact has changed a company's outlook on such an action; I just cannot see it being large enough in this case.

You need to look at this from the Konami point of view, more specifically the financial controllers of Konami's point of view. For a rerelease you would need to spend time and money pressing the discs and reprinting manuals, you would need to market the game to let people know it is available and the only way you can recoup these costs is to sell a certain amount of copies.

If you assume that the minimum print run they would bother with would be about ten thousand copies, they'll need to sell at least half of those to break even with their costs.
Now assume that at least half of the signatures on any petition are made in sympathy and you see why you would need at least ten thousand signatures for Konami to pay any attention to it whatsoever.

This coupled with the fact that the game would get lost in game stores because they have removed places to display new Playstation games make it an unviable proposition.

Potentially there are enough people who would want these game having played the PS2 versions, the problem is getting a large enough group of them to put their name to one thing to show Konami their strength of feeling.
What is the difference between PAL and NTSC? Why do some games take ages to get a PAL conversion, or get none whatsoever?
Find the answers and more at http://www.palcorner.com or ask at the forums.
Sutarion

Post by Sutarion »

Although I'm sure it's never been done before, I'm curious to know if a mass "pre-order" of the games through retail distributers such as EB Games and GameSpot would be more successful than a petition.

Anyone can sign a petition, but if Konami saw a large group of people willing to actually purchase the games, they may be a bit more interested. It would also help get the word out there, if major retailers could get involved.

Now, the chance of getting them to participate would be slim, but I've seen some pretty neat stuff happen in the online world. Pretty crazy stuff too.