[Tutorial] Making Suikoden 3 work on a PAL Ps2 without Mods

For asking questions about how to obtain copies of the actual videogames themselves.
Fiale

Post by Fiale »

Well, sorry for the long time I took to reply, had a little problem with getting my copy of S3. But, it's arrived today, and it works perfectly!

Using Swap magic DVD 3.3 with a slide card, all I had to do was was the procedure as mentioned elsewhere. e.g. I put in the swap disk, and let it load to the menu. Then I used the slide card to take it out, and put in Suikoden 3. I hit the 'load program' option, and it worked flawlessly.

As long as you have a version of the PS2 that the Swap-magic disk supports (currently up to a v7, or v9 with some problems, I think), then there doesn't seem to me to be anything that can go wrong with it.

It definitly works, thats for sure!
Reinbach_III

Post by Reinbach_III »

I recently attempted to buy Swap Magic disks on eBay, but received an E-Mail from eBay saying that the listing had been removed because it violates eBay policy. I have also noticed that a lot of other Swap Magic listings have been removed before the time expired. Does anyone know if Swap Magic disks have recently been made illegal in the UK?
"Me, sir? I'm just a poor jujube vendor, with hungry kids waiting at home..." Scholtenheim Reinbach III
Shirofan

Post by Shirofan »

Due to the remarks of the judge in the case of Sony vs the makers of the Messiah Chip then it is technically illegal to play any imported game in the UK.

However, due to the fact that there is no license formally agreed by the consumer at point of sale when the games are purchased then individual users cannot be prosecuted under this technicality.

It does mean though that Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft do try and prevent the sale of chips, slide tools and import games; and will put pressure on companies like ebay to stop it happening there.

Games do come with a report on the back saying they are not for resale; this is something that the games comapnies haven't a chance of legally enforcing, but they can use it to threaten retailers with.

So until someone successfully challenges the prior ruling and forces the law to seperate out procedures that allow playing of import games to those that allow playing of pirated games (and imports as well) [the actual point of the case]; then the UK at least will have problems getting such devices openly.
What is the difference between PAL and NTSC? Why do some games take ages to get a PAL conversion, or get none whatsoever?
Find the answers and more at http://www.palcorner.com or ask at the forums.
True Wind Bearer

Post by True Wind Bearer »

Shirofan, do you know if it is illeagal in Australia? By the way, I think your an Aussie, aren't you? Or are you a UK citizen?
Shirofan

Post by Shirofan »

I'm English by the way.

I believe that Sony lost their case in Australia against modchip makers; basically because they did allow bypassing of artifical regional lockouts, and Sony's position was anti-competitive.

For reference both Italy and Spain have also ruled that modchips are legal; the Italians were emphatic that Sony cannot dictate how its products are used after purchase, but the Spanish case was won on a technicality.

Other countries will have their own take on this depending on how various lawsuits have gone so far.
What is the difference between PAL and NTSC? Why do some games take ages to get a PAL conversion, or get none whatsoever?
Find the answers and more at http://www.palcorner.com or ask at the forums.
bloggs24

Post by bloggs24 »

for all the australians out there in need of a way to play imports or burnt games, go here:
http://www.quantronics.com.au/
just look on the side for ps2 asscesories, and software, im gunna buy the slimline fliptop and software from there soon!
Destiny's Warrior

Post by Destiny's Warrior »

Would the PAL swap magic 3.6 work doing this S3 technique.
"It's called 'Sex Panther' by Odeon... It's illegal in 9 countries... Yep, it's made with real bits of panther so you know it's good."

"Are we about to get it on, 'cause i'm as hard as diamond in an ice storm..."
Max The Silent

Post by Max The Silent »

I just got myself the Swap Magic 3.6 disks. It still wouldn't read the Suikoden 3 CD after booting up the Swap Magic DVD. However, using GTA: San Andreas as the second boot disk instead, the game loads fine.

Cheers for the guide, dragondoug.

Just to add - for me, the game only reads the official Sony memory card when saving.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

I find it ironic that Konami didn't release Suikoden III in PAL territories as they didn't feel they'd make a big enough profit or whatever, yet here we are, willing to spend potentially £100-odd in order to play the game on; an import of the game, swap magic/mod chip/slide card/NTSC PS2, Dex Drive (if you want to carry over any S2 data), RGB cable and not to mention postage and packaging on all of the above.

*Sigh* I could either wait in hope (and probably in vain) for Konami to eventually release it over here, or fork out quite a bit of cash just to be able to play an installment of a series I love.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Sorry to double post but if I just editted my last one nobody would notice I had some new questions. :wink:

Anyway, just a few questions regarding playing Suiko III here in the UK;

1) Would I need any special cables or wires or anything to get an NTSC PS2 to play on a PAL TV?

2) Will I be able to save Suiko III data to a PAL memory card?

3) You can't transfer PAL Suiko II data to an NTSC Suiko III, correct?

4) Do the game saves on this site use the "official" names? (Tir, Riou)

If anyone could either answer these or link me to the answers if they've already been answered it would be much appreciated, thanks in advance. :)
Arenegeth

Post by Arenegeth »

Well let me try to answer…

1) Yes and no, if you use Swap Magic and your TV supports NTSC then no, it converts it to NTSC (if you choose that at the menu) whatever cable you use, but Scart/RGB cable is used to transfer the signal to some TV’s, and, if your TV doesn’t support NTSC (everything will be black and white) there are some converters around that can fix that, so find what your TV does before you look into it, if it’s new (late 90’s the oldest) and from a big manufacturer (Sony, Philips, etc,) it should be fine with no cables no nothing.

2) Yes it saves fine in all Memory Cards.

3) That’s correct, you need an NTSC save.

4) That I don’t know I didn’t bother to download them and check yet, but those names are as “official” as my own when it comes to the Tenkai name so in general you are better with your own…

Now just let me say that by using Swap Magic 3 v.3.6. DVD-ROM Suikoden III works easily and quickly, no need to use a second disc just open the drive (don’t open the PS2 while the disc is inside it doesn’t read it some times) and close it with the 3.6 Swap Magic DVD-ROM inside, then (once it loads) choose the signal (preferably NTSC) and use either the slide tool or flip-top to enter the Sukoden III disc without your PS2 knowing about it, and that’s it, it should load and play, if it doesn’t then try ejecting replacing the game disc with the same DVD-ROM that you will use for a TOS whatever update, then enter the game disc back using the Slide Tool or Flip-Top and it should work, if it still doesn’t then try the above again and it should, if not then it may be your PS2 version or a problematic disc etc, etc.

The point of the above rant is that with the new version you don’t need to use a second disc and the process other than the slide tool becomes like using Freeloader on the GameCube.
”I am ye who walks his own path and thus I walk alone”
~Arenegeth~
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Thanks, much appreciated.
Young Master

Post by Young Master »

MWAHAHAHAHA!! I got Suikoden 3 to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use Swap Magic 3.6 and I used to have either black or white or screwed up screen. I downloaded a new program which fixes the screen but the sound is a bit choppy...
Y...Young Master...always...follow you heart. That is my first...and last...request.
- Gremio
True Wind Bearer

Post by True Wind Bearer »

Congratulations, Young Master. Glad it worked out, I'm hoping to do that some day...maybe when the PS3 is about to come out, instead of selling my PS2, I will do the swap method on it, so even if ir breaks, nothing to worry about.
Young Master

Post by Young Master »

You don't know how long I've been waiting for it :D

Shame you can't get the Suikoden II save to work :(

Getting the game over to Australia was enough trouble (let alone Suikoden 4).
Y...Young Master...always...follow you heart. That is my first...and last...request.
- Gremio