Gameshark for Suikoden

For asking questions about how to obtain copies of the actual videogames themselves.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Gameshark for Suikoden

Post by Sasarai10 »

Hey,where can i obtain one? I really got a hard time about finding one... :|
Jack of All Trades

Re: Gameshark for Suikoden

Post by Jack of All Trades »

I got mine on Ebay.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Jack of All Trades wrote:I got mine on Ebay.

any link? :roll:
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Yeah, Ebay, dude. You realize those auctions come and go, right? :roll:

Did you mean Suikoden 1, or Suikoden games in general? That is, do you need one for the PSX or the PS2?
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Pyriel wrote:Yeah, Ebay, dude. You realize those auctions come and go, right? :roll:

Did you mean Suikoden 1, or Suikoden games in general? That is, do you need one for the PSX or the PS2?

For each Suikoden game actually (mostly for the first 2 games). I've got only a PS2 console and i'm from PAL region.

I have never used any Gameshark device and i wanna be sure because i don't want to buy sth that it will end up being useless.
Jack of All Trades

Post by Jack of All Trades »

You can't use a ps2 gameshark for ps1 games. If you want to cheat then you need a ps1 gameshark and a ps1 to play them on. If you want them for other purposes, I'm pretty sure it's against the rules to talk about it here.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

You can cheat on a PS2 with PS1 cheat software, as long as it's something disc-based, but I don't really recommend it. Those devices weren't that great. If it's all you've got, you can find those on e-bay. I'd just advise caution. People can mislabel, and the discs very often look alike, so make sure it's actually PS1 software before you buy. Either ask the seller, or look at the photos of the packaging and disc and see if you can find "for use on Playstation" or something similar written on it.

For the PS2 games, I think the only cheat device still being sold by its manufacturer is the AR MAX. Although, maybe new Xploders are still being made in Europe. Other than that, it's back to e-bay to find a GameShark or a CodeBreaker. I'd recommend against the GameShark. The early versions were OK, but limited, and they eventually became buggy messes with obnoxious interfaces. I have a lengthy set of the pros and cons of each PS2 device posted around here somewhere.

To cheat on all the games, you'll have to buy at least two pieces of software. However, I very much recommend using a hardware-based Action Replay or GameShark for the first two, if you have access to an original Playstation with the required port.

Edit: My post on PS2 device pros and cons.
Last edited by Pyriel on Sun May 04, 2014 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

I see...thanks for your answers :)
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

It should be noted that the CodeBreaker is officially sold in only the US region, so you won't be able to use that with a European PS2, unless you have a mod-chip or another method of defeating the region lock. The AR Max is available in Europe, and the European version of the GameShark was the Xploder from about 2006 onwards. The company that makes the Xploder actually licensed and rebranded their software for the company that published the PS2 GameShark, so all the same GameShark bugs and issues from that other thread apply to the Xploder. The possible exception is the awful intros, but they could have badly rendered explosions in place of blocky sharks. I think the interface is very much the same otherwise.