err how longs it been this expensive?

For asking questions about how to obtain copies of the actual videogames themselves.
kenshindono

err how longs it been this expensive?

Post by kenshindono »

so i need to buy a copy of suikoden II. I never owned I or II though i played them a few times after borrowing them from a friend. I decided i wanted to own them since i have III-V and tactics.

i snagged I in mint condition for 22 bucks (seriously looks like new, case flawless, manual and art crisp. Theres one tiny dust scratch on the corner and thats it) and am enjoying it a lot, but II is a problem.

It seems to be going on ebay consistently for 80 bucks and up! wtf? Is it always this expensive or is it just a big spike in price? I really dont plan on spending that much on it so if this is just how much it costs for some reason i may just not own it.
JanusThePaladin

Re: err how longs it been this expensive?

Post by JanusThePaladin »

As long as i can remember, it's always been that high. You should see the prices on an original Suikoden players guide
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

It's been that high since the days when Suikoden III was released, if I remember it right.

If you want it now, getting a Japanese copy is probably the far cheaper option. Alternatively, hope hard enough and maybe Konami would develop some common sense to make it available on the PSN or similar places.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

patapi wrote:and maybe Konami would develop some common sense to make it available on the PSN or similar places.
Why would this be common sense? The fact that 1000 people on ebay are willing to buy it for $100 does not mean 10000 people will buy it for $10.

Konami are obviously the only ones with any knowledge of how well the series sells, if Suikoden on PSN was selling like crazy do you really think they'd hesitate with the sequel?

That's also ignoring that they'd probably have to fix it to get Sony approval to put it up there in the first place, as the only NTSC version available is very buggy, or they'd face an onslaught of support questions wondering why the music stops, McDohl name is wrong etc etc. And that's assuming the saves between the games are compatible, which with how the PSP used saves last I played a PS1 game on it they aren't without tweaking, which could then result in a game that asks for data you have but can't recognize.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
kenshindono

Post by kenshindono »

hu, that really sucks. I assumed the price difference was because S1 was on PSN and II isn't. I do think that if they put II on PSN it would at least help lower the price a bit.

I thought maybe the price i was seeing was just inflated, but i guess thats normal then?

A japanese only copy wouldn't really work, seing as how my ps1 is not modded, and i cant read japanese =P I really wanted to play through all V of them again, but im not paying 80 bucks for II. I gotta see if the buddy of mine that had both 1 and 2 still has 2. I think he loaned it out a while back.

F it, i hate piracy and want a nice copy with the manual/art eventually, but at this price i may just look into burning a copy for now. Im sure its not that hard to do these days.

Whatraww says about the bugs may be true though. S1 didn't have any major bugs, but i recall 2 being quite buggy, with some crappy translations. They may have to actually fix that for the PSN, and i dunno if they would even bother

*sigh* i was hoping you guys were gonna say that those prices were reidiculous and that it usually goes for like half that price
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

kenshindono wrote:S1 didn't have any major bugs, but i recall 2 being quite buggy, with some crappy translations.
On the contrary, my S1 is really buggy
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:
patapi wrote:and maybe Konami would develop some common sense to make it available on the PSN or similar places.
That's also ignoring that they'd probably have to fix it to get Sony approval to put it up there in the first place, as the only NTSC version available is very buggy, or they'd face an onslaught of support questions wondering why the music stops, McDohl name is wrong etc etc. And that's assuming the saves between the games are compatible, which with how the PSP used saves last I played a PS1 game on it they aren't without tweaking, which could then result in a game that asks for data you have but can't recognize.
But they fixed a lot of bugs in the PAL-Version, so why wouldn't they just use this version? (Of course I don't know a bit how easy/difficult it is to convert PSX games into PSN games)

Still I guess you're right, even though Suikoden II is one of the expensive PSX games, it might not attract too many customers on the PSN.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Suikoden is a franchise that many people don't know about, because the awful marketing it gets. So putting it on the PSN, is a not a safe moneymaker.

But if you want to play Suikoden 2, there's emulators for that, and If i remember correctly, having an image of a game isn't illegal per se. I might be incorrect if the laws differs from Swedish laws though.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Antimatzist wrote:But they fixed a lot of bugs in the PAL-Version, so why wouldn't they just use this version?
Because PAL is not a nifty name for Europe, it's actually a system for transmitting images to a television and is not compatible with 90% of the TV's on the U.S market.

Because Konami of Europe are the owners of the PAL version and as such Konami of America can't just slap their name on it and upload it.

Because the save data of a NTSC/UC Suikoden is not compatible with a PAL Suikoden II game.

Because the PAL version has not been rated by the ESRB.
Hirathien wrote:having an image of a game isn't illegal per se. I might be incorrect if the laws differs from Swedish laws though.
There's a very good reason for why non-lawyers shouldn't offer legal advice.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:
Antimatzist wrote:But they fixed a lot of bugs in the PAL-Version, so why wouldn't they just use this version?
Because PAL is not a nifty name for Europe, it's actually a system for transmitting images to a television and is not compatible with 90% of the TV's on the U.S market.

Because Konami of Europe are the owners of the PAL version and as such Konami of America can't just slap their name on it and upload it.

Because the save data of a NTSC/UC Suikoden is not compatible with a PAL Suikoden II game.

Because the PAL version has not been rated by the ESRB.
As I told you, I do not know if it is much work to make the PAL version into a NTSC version (I know that they are not just names for us/eu games, but for television formats).

And why shouldn't then Konami Europe upload it for the PSN? I don't really understand what the big deal is to make a game available for both American and European players. I mean why isn't Suikoden released for the European PSN, and only for the American? I think that's just stupid.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Antimatzist wrote:As I told you, I do not know if it is much work to make the PAL version into a NTSC version
That's not what you said at all. You said you didn't know how much work it was to make a PSX game into a PSN. Those are not the same thing.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

One would think it'd be as simple as making a couple thousand extra prints of the same old game. That would be easy.

However, regulations have changed since then. Suikoden 2 includes a lot of violence and other suggestive themes (north swallow pass for example), and thus the game would likely have to be retooled to a certain extent to make it saleable. Whenever you need to retool a game, you generate a huge amount of cost which need to be justified from a business perspective. Somebody has to be able to prove that such an investment will be profitable for Konami.

Another problem is there needs to be a business process within Konami Digital Entertainment America for re-releasing old titles. If they already have a process, such as periodic review of their business specifically aimed at sales of their older games, it's much easier to make projects like this move. In a company as large as Konami, unless a process already exists for taking care of stuff like this, you simply can't get the bureaucracy moving. Creating new processes tends to be time-consuming and potentially career-damning, so most workers won't go the extra mile to propose such a thing.
kenshindono

Post by kenshindono »

interesting. I never knew they fixed a bunch of the bugs for SII for the PAL version. I also wasn't aware that S1 was only avalible for PSN USA. I think region coding stuff is utterly idiotic most of the time, but i understand that PAL vs NTSC isn't just region coding to be a douche (i.e. Japanese games being locked on US consoles, DVD's, ect) but an acrtual format difference.

It looks like SII most likely wont get a PSN release unless SI sold like gangbusters but i have no idea how well it sold. I wonder if theres numbers out there anywhere. I dont think NPD sales cover PSN games do they? Id be curious to see what the numbers are.

Im just curious,w hat did you guys wind up paying for your copies and when? Assuming theyre not original ones when it was out. My friend payed about 120 bucks for both 1 and 2 in a group sale probably 5 or 6 years ago.

what did you guys shell out for your copies of II?

[Edited by Opp]. Im just not gonna pay over 80 bucks for this. 50-60 would be the most. Im also really anal about my games i hate buying used stuff online without being able to look at the disk. Like new and Very good ratings are thrown around way too easy.
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

I just bought another copy off Suikoden II and the strategy guide for $200. I still have my original copy of Suikoden II that I bought in... 2000? I paid about $30 for it at Funcoland. I didn't purchase Suikoden I until recently but I can't remember for how much. Many websites will tell you Suikoden II is the most rare and highest in demand PS1 game.
"I'd be happy to demonstrate its sharpness on your neck."
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

The other week I won an online auction for Suikoden 2 for $53! That's New Zealand dollars so pretty cheap. Then the guy didn't email me for ages, then he said that he was going to re sell it somewhere else. I'm so angry! It's against the terms and conditions of the website, but that means nothing if I still don't get my game >:(

It's my favourite and the only one I don't actually own...
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.